Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry! best Aust spec drifter

Hi guys,
    this is my first post so you can flame me to hell if you want . Anyway unfortunatley ,like alot of posts here I'm interested in getting my first drifting machine. Unfortunatley since I'm in Australia there aren't that many good imports over here for any realistic amounts (well atleast in Adelaide, I wonder why... ) So for my budget I'm screwed. My basic choices from what I've seen is

prob a 1985 celica ra65
    cheap early mazda rx-7
    cressida (?)
    Skyline R31
    maybe something more local?

I was wondering if any anyone knows if these cars could do the majority of drift work, ie do they have enough power to break traction. I know these cars may not be ideal (powerful), but I don't have ANY experience with drifting yet (or RWD cars for that matter) and as such I got not much idea about their capabilities. I was thinking the RA65 (same as 1986 US spec celica) might be the best bet as it seems to have similar specs to the AE86 (in output I think)

Which do you think would be better for drifting keeping in mind I got like not much budget ie 3000US or 4000AUD?
    All opinions would be appreciated, even those flames

Thanks
    Andy

Different people will have different requirements for a good drift car, but most will agree that even weight distrobution is key, along with predictable handling and traction limits (meaning well-engineered suspension). An early 90's mid-class sports car like a Corolla or 240/200SX or 2nd generation RX-7 (if you know how to work on rotaries) are all top contenders.

In Australia, you have a plethora of options. The RWD Vaux Hauls do a good job and have quite good stock suspension setup. The RWD MG's are very managable when going sideways, as well as the smaller RWD Holdens. There was even someone who was drifting one of those Ute's in Australia.

Small and nimble (Mazda Miata/Eunos) to medium sized (Nissan 240)cars are often a good starting point to learn. Your bigger cars like Monaros, Skylines, and such will be a bit more to tackle with no prior drifting experience but may be more comfortable as a daily driver or double-duty car. Cars outside the realm of RWD may also be considered - Audi Quattro Coupes can be adapted to RWD and WRX's and Imprezzas can have their transmissions modified to sport RWD only (although I personally see it as blasphemy and dirft in the AWD).

4000 AUD can buy you something pretty nice, but more importantly, it can buy you something older and good that can be made REALLY nice.

I hope this helps, and I'd be glad to try and answer questions more specifically.

-MR

Comment

buy the skyline r31 and drop a sr20 or rb25 in it that would be tight. iv seen afew 31's in japan drifting. r32's are to much$$$ over there like a gts-t?

Comment

What no Manero or comonwhore. When I went to OZ all I heard about was these intercepters and how they had the last of the big V8s. Just kidding. But really you Guys own when it comes to Rotarys. Dude I would be pitchin tent for a RX3 with a 13b man that would be a 86 killa. You guys got allot of good cars to drift with but ultamatly the desisions yours. Maybe check with simona86 he drifts a 86 and he lives in Adi.

Comment

get the R31

Comment

Well i'd sugest the S13, you guys got turbo S13s anyways right? great car i would say. But just personal preferance. Look for something with a good weight distribution good power potential. Power isnt that important but as you get better you will want the ability to upgrade it.

Aside from that look for what ever you want.

Comment

Monaro's , commonwhores , 180sx's etal are either too expensive or not that well suited without surgery to drift.
              Early RX7 or R31 with the RB30 is prolly your best bet.
              Need and LSD or locker type diff though to a good job.
              Depending on where you are either speak to me, JMS or Fulllock re. learning the craft and advice on what's on/what to do.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                Maybe the R31 would be a good option then, the rx7 looks like its good too. The prob tho is that $4000 Aud won't buy any of the nice cars you can get in the US, a 180sx silvia, mr2 ect all of these cost Minimum $7000 over here. Also the aust corolla's have only fwd from what I've seen, besides the crap-aus-spec sprinter which isn't that powerful and very rare.

Thanks heaps for the help, tho it will be awhile till I can afford a monaro (about 50K or a 180sx about 12K) but may be its better I learn how to cut my teeth (so to say ) on a less powerful machine to build technique. Since it will be a car formost and a toy second, I can't quite afford the costs of engine swaps, lots of modifications and the insurance hikes that come with it. So a stock machine atm would be best. The RX7 looks quite an option and the R31 too, but I also have heard the celica's around the 85 model can break traction fairly well and its 2.4 litre, plus its around 3K, does anyone drift with this model?

All this help has lead me to the RX7, R31 and maybe the celicas. I like the holdens but I ain't a homie
                Thanks again

Andy

Comment

Working...
                X