Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Rx-7 major probs

anybody that wants to get into drifting dont buy a 1979-85 rx-7
    they have a serious design flaw with the rear end that involves the watts link Binding up and creating uncontrollable oversteer
    or "snap oversteer" i will soon be cutting this problem out and trying to put in a panhard bar

yep they are a lot harder to drift than a FC

Comment

Yup. I got an 88, a little bit of improvement, but there's other ways to eliminate that

Comment

Do you have a GSL-SE? Cause I believe the GSL-SE has the same rear end as the early FDs. I know it's different than the other 1st gens. I'm hoping to get a GSL-SE rear end for that resaon and the fact that it's 5 lug instead of 4 lug. If the GSL-SE rear end has the same problem I'd like to know. Anybody have any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Misthael
          Do you have a GSL-SE? Cause I believe the GSL-SE has the same rear end as the early FDs. I know it's different than the other 1st gens. I'm hoping to get a GSL-SE rear end for that resaon and the fact that it's 5 lug instead of 4 lug. If the GSL-SE rear end has the same problem I'd like to know. Anybody have any idea?
          I have an SE, its not a 5lugs. Its weak and no LSD.

Comment

I dont relly care for my FB at all! Its just way to snappy in the rear.But the engine runs strong at high speeds! I took my lil fb up to 130ph and it was still going! Very fun. But for drifting i just dont like it. Plus FC's look way cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
              I have an SE, its not a 5lugs. Its weak and no LSD.
              Yeah. I just found a pic of GSL-SE wheels. Some guy always told me they were 5 lug. But the GSL-SE is more powerful than the non SEs. So it isn't weak. I have a GS and it's great. I don't drift it, but it accelerates and handles great. Not as good as an FC, but I can't afford that. Thanks for putting me in my place. I need to go review first gen specs. Too bad you're in Cali. I could use your help here.

Comment

K here's the differences in the first gens.

1978 first year, heres the specs
                Engine Type: Twin Rotor 12A
                Displacement: 1146cc/70ci
                Compression Ratio: 9.4:1
                Output(hp): 100bhp @ 6000 rpm
                Torque: 105lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
                Fuel Supply: Two stage, 4 barrel carburetor

1979 - No vehicle or model line-up changes different from 1978.

1980 - The first generation Rx7 hardly changed in 1980. However Mazda made the radio antenna about 8 inches longer, the ignition system was converted to electrical, which did away with the old points system, and they also added rubber below the rear bumper's rubber strip. Added in 1980 was the option for full vinyl upholstery. Later in the year, a Leather Sport package was made available. This package added an LS badge, full leather upholstery, sunroof, and gold-colored alloys

1981 - The first generation had its largest facelift in 1981. For many reasons, Mazda added more aerodynamic front and rear bumpers, and wider trimming which blended into the bumpers much more efficiently. A redesigned and in my opinion much better looking front spoiler was added. For emissions sake a pair catalytic converters were added and a "split-air" exhaust system was added. This system pumped fresh air from the air pump to either the exhaust ports or the second catalytic converter, to reduce emissions. Also, a "shutter valve" in the intake manifold was designed to shut off the gas and air from the rear rotor while the car was decelerating. This raised the city and highway gas mileage by about 20%!!! New, redesigned alloys was another exterior change for 1981. The GSL model replaced the Leather Sport package..the GSL included rear disc brakes, aluminum wheels, and a sunroof, and it made leather interior an option. The price for this model was an all-time high of $11,400. Also added a downdraft version of the 4 barrel carb.

1982 - No vehicle or model line-up changes.

1983 - Very few noticable changes were made in 1983. However, Mazda did remove the 85-mph speedometer and replaced it with a much more realistic 130-mph speedometer when the US govenment removed a needless limitation on speedometers. Very few engine modifications were made except that the oil cooler was moved from under the radiator to under the oil filter. A Limited Edition model was released in '83. The Limited was based on the GS and every one was painted "Chateau Silver" with red pinstriping and special 14x5.5 inch wide alloys with 195/60HR15 tires. Many automotive writers and magazines began referring to the Rx7 as aging, but they complimented it at the same time by naming it the "Best for the Money" in its class and saying it was slower but also cheaper.

1984 - As public intrested in the now aging Rotary Rocket dwindled, Mazda tried to revamp its creation by making an almost completely mechanically-different RX-7 which was named the GSL-SE. The GSL-SE's exterior was very similar to the past models, but Mazda had a surprise waiting under the hood....the GSL-SE held a 13B rotary engine instead of the aged 12A. The 13B used the new 6PI, "six port induction" for a broader torque spread and a new fuel injection system which Mazda called EGI, "Electronic Gas Injection". Mazda also added DEI, "Dynamic Effect Intake" which utilized the basic "surge" phenominon peculiar to the rotary engine to maximize its fuel intake through the new 6PI system. The 5-speed manual transmission was still standard but it was upgraded with a stonger clutch, and the automatic was scrapped as an option!. On the exterior Mazda vamped up the Rx7 with new 12-spoke 14-inch aluminum wheels. These rims used 205/60VR14 size tires. Mazda helped cure the loose tailend of the Rx7 by dropping the rear trailing arms by about 20mm. Also, to aid in stopping, the brakes were upgraded by making the front and rear disc brakes vented....this was made a standard option. As proof that Mazda made the right decisions during its redesign, Motor Trend ran tests between the Rx7, Toyota Supra, and the Nissan 300ZX and recorded the Rx7 at an amazing 0.88g on the skidpad. That score even beats the second generation Turbo II! Unfortunately, with these improvements the price was raised some to about $16,100, but it was well worth it. The other models received the option of a 4-speed automatic, and power steering was made standard on the GSL-SE, while being optional on all the other models. It was determined that the rear suspension alteration should be applied to all the Rx7 models.

1985 - No changes. The Rx7 line-up remained the same for 1985, as Mazda prepared for it's long awaited unveiling of the second generation Rx7.

The SE was 35hp faster than the standard and the GSL. That's the history. Long but worth the read. Also the SE first Gen made better skidpad results than the Turbo II. How bout them apples.
                Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 02-23-2004, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Now I remember. The reason I was gonna get an SE rearend was for the disk brakes. My rear brakes are drums. Oh well. Thanks for the info Ghost.

Comment

Dont forget Misthael the GSL also has rear disk brakes...at least mine does!

Comment

Oooo. Didn't know that. No GSLs around here. Just GSs and GSL-SEs. Thanx.

Comment

No prob!

Comment

GSL SE

I also have a GSL-SE with the motor out..I am about to drop something into it but not sure yet..I have a 88 turbo II motor sitting outside I might do that..As for drifting..I never noticed anything wrong with the car..
                          Every car has it's characteristics and I just get used to them..
                          Any car can be drifted or mastered regardless of it's capabilities.
                          Just have to learn the car..But yea tuning up the suspention and power will help improve the car alot..

My GSL-SE =) Damm Great Drifter!!Remember it's a '85.!!Good for it's time
                          Attached Files

Comment

dont forget about the B engine of the first gen

Comment

Working...
                            X