280-z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280-z

Does anybody drift an old 280-Z? I'm getting into drifting this year and am trying to decide between drifting my racecar ('93 Civic Hybrid) or my daily driver ('76 280-Z). The Civic is FULLY prepped for road racing, but obviously is FWD. The Z is bone stock, but RWD.

Thoughts?

Matt
    TankSlapper Autosport

Use common scence. FWD: BAD FOR DRIFTING. RWD: GOOD FOR DRIFTING. Fix up your 280.

Comment

or buy a 240 like everyone else. Yeah, it's an obvious answer, but then again, there's a reason why everyone uses the 240. It's a good car. There are also a million parts for it now.

Go drive a 240, FC, old Supra, and some other RWD and then you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
        Use common scence. FWD: BAD FOR DRIFTING. RWD: GOOD FOR DRIFTING. Fix up your 280.
        I've seen a lot of people drift with FWD though, and do pretty well with it.

As for getting a 240, this 280 was purchased new by my father in 1975, and was passed down to me. I wasn't just out shopping for what I could find. The car is an heirloom. Oh, the other reason why the 240s are more popular is because they are MUCH lighter cars than the 280s, though the bodies look the same.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by tankslapperauto
          I've seen a lot of people drift with FWD though, and do pretty well with it.

As for getting a 240, this 280 was purchased new by my father in 1975, and was passed down to me. I wasn't just out shopping for what I could find. The car is an heirloom. Oh, the other reason why the 240s are more popular is because they are MUCH lighter cars than the 280s, though the bodies look the same.

Matt
          don't mess with the FF. You'll waste your time. I can drift a FF for you, then show you a FR drift and you'll think the FF looks like crap doing it. As for the 280, I wouldn't drift it if that's the case. Drifting twists your chassis in ways you can't even imagine. That's if you don't trash it first facking up.

Comment

do what you want, don't let the opinion's of others taint your choice....i slide my fwd civic...big whooopie...its take a little more skill to get it to slide and exit at a good speed...

Comment

i slide my fwd civic
              What have you done to it? Do you have a front splitter to try to loosten up the rear?

Matt

Comment

I would talk to people in more knowledgable forums and get their views on FF drifting versus FR.

Comment

reason why the 240s are more popular is because they are MUCH lighter cars than the 280s, though the bodies look the same.

Matt

just the clearify, He means the 240sx not the 240Z, the Zs are beautiful. however the 240sx is cheap and light.

Comment

What have you done to it? Do you have a front splitter to try to loosten up the rear?

Matt
                    not i don't....its been lowered with springs and thats about it...everything else has been exterior (tryin to get a nice jdm look to it), but other than the lowering springs....i have no other major upgrades...excluding intake and exhaust, which aren't even major. it jus takes practice... but its relatively simple in a ff...approach a corner, lets say your at 5500 in 2nd (best way to practice) turn away and then into the corner, while turning into it pull the ebrake and step on the gas, immediatly begin to countersteer when you feel yourself sliding and then straighten out...there you go, how to drift a FF....i've got my speeds up to 45-65 mph now...practice makes perfect, every car will react differently...jus gotta practice...and look at my sig, jus a few words of encouragement...

Comment

Your Z

280Z framerails are actually beefier than 240Z rails. Check to see if they are very rusty first. That way if you do "twist up your chassis" it will be very minor compaired to a 240Z. However, I doubt you will be twisting much of anything unless you are trying to drift at breakneck speeds, in which case, you'd probably be going through drivetrain parts before you had to get the frame looked at. I get my 280Z sideways, and it's a blast, especially in the rain. Hope this helps.

Comment

The 280-Z:

vs

The Civic:

Comment

so wait you are thinking about drifting your civic hatch? have fun with that if you want but i say go for the Z

Comment

Weights on all 3

1989 240sx 2940 lbs
                            1976 280z 2800 lbs
                            1972 240z 2301 lbs

Thems the weights on the cars. My answer is no. Wouldn't slide that 280. They are not worth all that much right now but good examples are getting harder to find by the day. The Civic is a bad choise as well. Yes you can drift FF cars but it takes alot of time to learn.

Comment

why does that honda have the wor acura on it??? time to start cutting people......

Comment

Working...
                              X