Sr20Det engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sr20Det engines

i was wondering about how much money for a DET dont care which kind of top...
    by summer im planning on swapping out my engine but im trying to find a place that can give me the motor real cheap like 1-2 grand.... im installing the engine myself with the help of my dad but what im trying to say is say i get a sr20det for 1-2 grand...installed myself...plus the tests and most lil problems that come with it.... if any of you guys have an sr20det can you tell me a lil about money wise and how to pass all the emissions and smog etc etc... and then i was also going to switch the auto to manual trans... but then again im thinkn of selln my car and buying a 240sx manual then swap the engine in

look toward puttin about $3000 in for the motor and the installation. also plan on being without your car for about 3 weeks (depending on the shop). havin a backup car or a carpool really comes in handy here.

Comment

First off, don't count on passing emissions. It can be done, but probably not on the first try, not in a hurry, and defininitely not for free. Second, you get what you pay. don't get an engine because of price. dont have the $? Dont get the engine. You're better off saving up and getting a reliable stock engine that is in great shape than some POS you will have tons of problenms with. My advice is to get on the SR boards like NICO, FreshAlloy, etc. and do as much research as possible. i spent years figuring out what I wanted while I saved for my SR and related goodies, spent hours a day online just before I bought everything, window shopped and compared prices for months before making purchases, and did it all myself. io twas my first engine swap, and all I had done beforhand was install bolt ons and regular maintenance. Now i have an S14 SR in my daily drivern S14. hit me up if you have any questions. do you homework on it and good luck!
      PS: 95% of the time, any decent S13 Sr will cost you $2500. that's the standard market price. Any less and you're really taking your chances, and risking spending more $ and time.

Comment

Excellent, well thought out post Hokiruu. If you spent this much time on your car and engine swap, maybe you can post a breakdown and your timeline in the Tech section. I am sure that everyone who is thinking of this swap would like to know about it.

Also anyone looking for info on the swap, talk to RubHammusan. He is my friend in Knoxville and has done SR swaps in Atlanta. Also very competent on RB swaps. Anyone in or around Knoxville Tn, contact either of us as we will possibly be opening a garage in the next few months. Our website will be up soon as well. www.garage-sixgun.com

Please post that in tech Hokiruu. I would love to see it.

Comment

yep if you're only willing to shell out $1-2k then ur up for a lot of trouble. i dont know anyone that sells engine for 1-2k.theyre right you do get what you paid for. i do respect the fact that you want to do the work yourself and i think that thats cool but itll take a month or so if you have work or you go to school. not only that u'll constantly break down in the freeway and ull hear some pretty weird sound along the way because u cant really guarantee that the engine is in good working condition.the car has to get use to its new "heart." i know this shop thatll build your engine for you and make it street legal and all but its 10k.a house is not built in a day so is ur car. i suggest buying a 240sx instead coz u dont really need to do a lot of things except for suspension, tires and sm tuning the downside though is the fact that its engine is gonna be pretty beat up since it has turbo.juz find an engine thats a little more expensive yet guaranteed to work so ur not risking ur hard earned money.gud luck either way!!

Comment

Thanks Ghost! I will do that as you requested! It will take me awhile, as I want to make sure I am as thorough as possible. Hopefully a moderator will sticky it.

Comment

I agree with alot of the stuff Girlracer is saying. Do the amount of research that you think is good and then do twice that amount. There are folks out there that are all about taking your money. I remember a thread on here a week ego that was all about that. Also there are people that are genuinely good people that are screwed themselves by bad exporteres. So really look into the people that you are planning to buy from. I don't suggest going the 10k route, not saying anything derrogatory about those people, I am just not about shelling out that kind of dollars. I would read, read, read, read, talk, read, read, talk somore. Do that then repeat same step as many times as necessary. Then order your parts. Then do what you can on your own.

Also people. USE YOUR PARENTS. Not for money but for help. Heck man, talk to your father. Odds are that if you plan this out, do it responsibly and don't go about it half-way then he will help you. Make it a father son project. A car can be a great way of bonding with your parental unit. Men love cars. Thats a proven fact. Even the most nerdy father has that rebel gene in him that makes him salivate when a nice car goes by. Like my father, he may not agree with you on what make that nice car is, but he likes it none the less. Case in point. My father likes Vettes. EXPENSIVE ones. My father has had an L88 with 42k on it that came from the Otis Chandler museum of speed in LA. 140k he sold that car for. A 1963 (I think) Fuelie that had under 40k on it. Can't remember the price on that one. Either way, I got to hear all the stuff bout his Z06 being fast and what not. I took him for a ride (the only time he been in a car of mine) in my FD. First blow off noise and he asked what it was. Got to explain an BOV to him. After that ride I never heard about that fast Z06 again. Plus he got a new found respect for Import cars.

Cars can be good.

Comment

hey ghost can you convince ur dad to adopt me?plsssssss hahaha yeah juz research esp sites that offer good deals with parts like adventon.com. just be prepared i guess so when u finally get ur car u know what to do

Comment

OK i have been reading about the ka24de and the sr20det i really want to do a sr20det but does any one know how to make it pass smog. if you cant could u take a ka and turbo that a make it pass smog......

Comment

I feel bad for you west coast people. I'm glad that emissons isnt really cared about here.

Comment

greddy kit passes smog

Comment

is the greddy kit CARB approved now? Thats good it will pass emissions though.

Comment

Working...
                        X