Better BMW to drift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better BMW to drift.

Hello, this is my first post please be gentle.
    I am currently looking for a nice drift car Ae86's are becoming rarer to find and so are un-modded Silvias.
    So searching I found two BMWs The first is a a 1991 318is M3 with 220k on the motor, yeah I know gonna have to rebuild the engine soon, and the other is a 1987 BMW 325es with 170k on the motor, but the rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. Both these cars are under my 3,000 dollar budget and want to make sure I make the right choice. I have some drifting experience with 240's, but they are becoming harder to find.
    Thanks in advance.

i tried playing around with the 318 a bit and noticed its pretty hard to power over sideways.

Comment

Low power means you need to start with a very neutral or slightly oversteer oriented chassis setup. A high powered car can simply light up the rear tires. On a low powered car with only around 100-120hp to the rear wheels, it just won't happen easily. Now a bigger motor makes it easier. You still need to tune the suspension to make it easy to drive. Otherwise, you're fighting the car a LOT.

Comment

i'd go with the 318is and throw a M20B25 in it, since the 318is already has an LSD in it and decent suspension, but you could realistically do that with either one.

Or rebukild the M44B19 and boost it either turbo or supercharge it. That would be alot of run, but yeah its more going to come down to suspension more than anything.

Replace all the bushings with either polyurethane, delrin or aluminum. Get a set of decent springs and shocks or do it right and get a set of coilovers.

either car would work for that but I would go with the 318 simply because it is newer and the M44 is a much more fun engine than the M20B27

Comment

Beginner

Hi, o.k. I honestly have no idea about drifting, but my husband loves to, so hence the reason I registered here. I want to get him a car that he can convert or go straight into drifting with. And, I need opinions from people who know what they are doing, since I dont. His Birthday is coming up in 2 months, and so I thought that would be a good present. Please, help me out, any suggestions would be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouchardsgirl View Post
            Hi, o.k. I honestly have no idea about drifting, but my husband loves to, so hence the reason I registered here. I want to get him a car that he can convert or go straight into drifting with. And, I need opinions from people who know what they are doing, since I dont. His Birthday is coming up in 2 months, and so I thought that would be a good present. Please, help me out, any suggestions would be very helpful.
            I realize this is some1 else's thread so I'll apologize in advance. There are so many cars...but the main ones are as follows:

1. 1989-1994 Nissan 240sx
            2. 1995-1998 Nissan 240sx
            3. 1985-1987 Toyota Corolla (hatchback or coupe)
            4. Mazda Rx7
            5. Toyota Supra
            6. Nissan 350Z
            7. Nissan 370Z
            8. BMW 3 series (as mentioned in this thread)

But anywho...I think the best source is your husband.

Ask him...
            1. What cars are best for drifting?
            2. Which one is your favorite?
            3. Or...which one is your most favorite and affordable drift car? (if on a budget)

Here's a link if you think wikipedia helps:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport))

Enjoy & Welcome to the world of drifting
            Last edited by Sakesoba; 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X