drifting my mr2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting my mr2...

ok i have a jspec turbo mr2... i wasnt very into driftin before i bought it but i am addicted now. ive been drifting my mr2 a bit lately but i would love it if u guys could give me some pointers on drifting a car with the weight in the back instead of the front.. i kno its not a great car to drift but it is very possible. i do something along a power over and a heal toe drift as of now but i want to improve alot, so any advice would be appreciated... haha except sellin my car thats just not a possibilty right now.. thanks alot.

learn grip first.

once you find out where the breaking point is on the car and how NOT to loop it in a fast corner, youre ready to start stepping it out.

i say learn grip first because its what any driver should do, but especially with you. you have to be extra careful with MR setups because they can be very hard to control and finnicky in the wrong hands

Comment

My suggestion is to search for the thread on drifting a porsche Boxster, there was a discussion about this there. Good luck with that... You have a second gen MR2?

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...hlight=boxster

Comment

Hey, I'm just a nOOb, but i've heard that MR2 was a good grip car, and i heard four wheel drifts match the car. I have a website on it, but since i'm on a cheap computer right i'll have to give it to u later.

Comment

i say go with grip first, but once you learn the optimal lines, be weary of the car's tendency to oversteer easily. watch the drift bible for tips on drifting this car.

Comment

the only problem with the SW20 and AW11 MR2 is the same with all MR cars...snap spin and the MR2 is bad cause it has such a short wheel base...you wont be able to run at the angels of a RWD car...BUT you can still drift it

Comment

thanks you guys, yea i have a 2nd gen... my friend has been driftin like a mad man in his second gen so were just learning from u guys off this site.. and im so in debt i wish i could even buy the drifters bible but i owe alota money on car parts and what not.

Comment

just send me a 6 pac of good german beer...

Comment

driftfreak is correct about the MR-S. Since they have a smaller wheel-base they can't sustaine a grip when traction is being compromise. What a lot of people get mis-informed about drifting is that, it's all about loosing that rear traction. But it's not, it's achieving perfect balance between HP and handling. This is a perfect examples when it comes to shorter cars such as the MIATA /MR-S and FCs. They're short so the rear snaps faster than a longer rear (such as the 240 fastback/ couple, etc.).

As far as your driving. It's okay, I suggest just keep practicing, but not on the streets, I would rather see you on the track spinning vs. spinning around the streets.

On the technical side. You need a wider tires on the rear to keep the grip and drift balanced. I know you dont want to put a lot of weight in your car, So I either suggest using a spacer or buying a really light pair of rims. But widening the rear to give it better traction will improve your drift. Just try it, borrow a pair of wide tires (even-though they're heavy) and try it. You might have to adjust your braking point and speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X