best way to practice grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to practice grip

hey, whats the best way to practice grip driving in a parking lot? i kindof have a problem with road as in there are not many windy roads where i am. i need a safe way to practice grip driving before i start seriously drifting. any help will be appreciated.

Auto cross
    look for the local Scca chapter( www.scca.org ) and hit up there auto cross events...you will learn a lot!!! just ask questions and get ride alongs..

Comment

Grip varies by speed. High speed driving is different than say running around in a circle in a parking lot. Grip is good for learning the extent of your tires capabilities and understanding how the car behaves when pushed hard. You can even practice braking and accelerating hard while turning. This will get you used to weight shifts and how they affect the car when turning. Oddly, if you get different tires, the car's behavior will change. As you increase grip, your car may show different driving characteristics when you push harder and harder. For example, maybe with a lower grip tire, your car may slide pretty easy, push, and not lean much. However, when you increase the grip, you may get a bit of a change when pushing your car to the tire's limit. You'll get more leaning, and maybe some oversteer. It may be hard to break the rear end lose too.

I say, any type of driving is a good learning experience. Your goal is to understand the car and its capabilities. Once you're in tune with the car, it's pretty easy. Then it's just a matter of teaching yourself what to do to make the car do what you want.

Comment

why do you feel you must practice grip to drift? I somewhat understand what you mean, drifting is more advanced, I wonder how much experience driving you have?when I practice drifting I get better at grip racing as well because I know the limits of my cars handling. if you want to practice I recommend the SCCA, and find some local tracks, and sadly enough GT3 (gran turimo 3) is a great way to get some fundamentals.

Comment

Yeah, suprisingly sim style games can teach you a lot about car physics and tuning. Check out Live for Speed (LFS) at www.liveforspeed.com . It's free for the Demo and you can get 3 cars. You have tons of options for car setup, and the physics are pretty much unparalleled short of the Nascar or F1 sim series. You can even have a good amount of fun online racing with others. The AI cars are competative too for single player.

Comment

DFF whats ur name in that mines bmxmisfit

Comment

Flying Squirrel or just my aim, mvw2, on www.racesimcentral.com

The weekends are the only time I'm able to get on with my wheel, no direct connection at home. I'd wish they'd support proxy. That's ok, friend's house has cable I should be on quite a bit all next week, spring break.

Comment

Practice in an f/f car first. If you can.

Comment

Working...
                X