Brakes don't work!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes don't work!!!

I flipped my car into a tree 2 weeks ago, since then my car has been pulling to the right since, I figured I bent something, so I get the tires balenced and they say I have uneven pad wear in the front tires, I figured it was something I did drifting. so I ignored it, then tonight pulling out of the gas station in reverse I hear grinding comming from my right front tire, does anyone have any advice

one more thing I thought everyone here might enjoy, out of autoweek feb 16th
    "those sons of b1tchs bombed pearl harbor, don't forget. As long as it's good for the economy, I guess it's okay. But I hope that Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet kick there as s. -dodge NASCAR driver Jimmy spencer in the San Antonio Express-News on Toyotas entry in the NASCAR craftsman Truck Series. no word yet on whether Spencer ws reminded that dodge is now owned my a german company.

how may i ask exactly did you flip you car into a tree and are still driving it?

Comment

um, ehehehe, well I have a nice dent it the hood right over the strut tower which took most of the impact but all of the cylinders filled with oil and the starter busted. the starter was nothing to replace but getting all of the oil out of the cylenders was great fun. I figure it I take out the plugs and crank the engine the pistons should puch all of the oil out, well most of it at least, so I get my brother to watch and see if any oil comes out, well I get in the car and crank the engine, and boom, the engine expodes withoil and my brother is covered, head to tow, you see my theory worked only I didnt count on the oil shooting out at 125psi so needless to say I'm still not done painting my garage, but the car runs :-)

Comment

I was kind of wondering that too. Maybe flipped was the wrong word to use.

AS far as your brakes, I assume grinding is just a metal on metal scraping sound. Brakes will do this when get get worn down. Most have a little hook that will start to scrape up against the rotor when the pad gets worn down to a certain point. This tells you it's time to get new pads. It's good to get your rotors turned too to get rid of the grooves worn into them as well as any warping caused by heat or over tighted lug nuts on the wheel.

Now they told you it was uneven. You may have a piston sticking or something. There is a caliper the goes over the rotor. The caliper holds the brake pads and has a piston in it that pushes the pads onto the rotor to create friction to brake. If one's sticking, you would get uneven wear, i.e. one wears faster than the other.

Comment

How does your piston fill with oil? Usually that's not possible. Then again, I haven't crashed a car, at least not one I could drive away afterwards(wasn't my fault, lol).

Comment

I just finished doing my breaks like a week before I flipped, and yeas I flipped, upsidedown and then rightside up and then into a tree, I was driifting on a a winding hill and the rear caught a patch out ice, nd I oversteered 180 and then into a ditch first roll, goodbye rear view mirror and then the tree stopped my from continueing the roll, and you think I should replace the caliper,

Comment

I assume the oil got into the pistons through my valves, which is a whole other problem, I need a new car obviously, but right now I need to get to work so, I'm stuck with this

Comment

and it was kind of funny after the fact because the day before a friend of mine was like "the only difference between fuel injected and carburated is that fuel injected run upsidedown. I guess I proved him wrong

Comment

I see now. Yeah the oil would just fill up the cylinders, lol. Anyways, that's not a light accident. I'm not sure about the brakes. I'm just going by the uneven wear issue. It's probably not a big problem if the car's not going to be around long. The sqeaking may be something else. Anything rubbing? Does the wheel spin freely. Can anything rub the tire(accident, things get bent and moved around). The whole car might be a little bent. Well not the whole car. It would be more like a bent rod or something, maybe a bent wheel. Something got knocked out of alignment. You may want to take it to the shop and have them align the whole car. They'll tell you if you've got any bent wheels too.

Comment

thanks I'll keep those in mind when I'm checking the car out tomorrow,

Comment

Re: Brakes don't work!!!

Originally posted by Menchi
                      I flipped my car into a tree 2 weeks ago, I figured I bent something
                      Wow that must have taken a long time to figure out.

lol just playing man

New pads maybe and get an alignment.

Comment

and fix the loose nut behind the weel

damm typing in the dark...

Comment

Originally posted by driftfreak
                          and fix the loose nut behind the weel

damm typing in the dark...
                          it took me a minute, I'm like nut behind the wheel?? hmm what could he be talking about?

Comment

my right front caliper is engaged for whatever reason,

Comment

if it is engaged and wont let go, it could be that the brake fluid was leaking after the accident and it wont release....if you dan have enough fluid, there isnt the amount of pressure needed on the piston to make it realease properly when the brake pedal is relseased......ive had that happen on my jeep before, if it is let going too long, it will grind deep gauges in the rotor.....this can also be caused by a malfunctioning master cylinder....thats what happened to me.....when you get it checked out, you might having that looked at too....

Comment

Working...
                              X