No announcement yet.

drifting a 3000gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like nissan guy said, s13's are relatively cheap....when you said you have dalt with alot of speed/power, how fast was your quad? cause i know my 240 flies past 150 mph, and thats fast....as far as things wearing out and crashes go, lots of things get broken during drifting...be ready to spend money to fix your car......

Comment

S13s are good FCs are cool, basicly anything from the late 80s early 90s with a rear wheel drive set up makes a good drifter, The mid engine cars are suposed to be harder, "suposed to be" i really havent driven one.

Anycar in that catagory will be cheap anyways. you may want to look for a domestic or european car too, if it suits your taste. but for learning i would go Cheap, Light, Rearwheel Drive. When you get better you will want to try other things, then i say go for broke.

Comment

That car is oging to be a learners worst nightmare. Id suggest selling it if you can.

Comment

thanks guys, i think i might look for an old mustang or somthing, how would that do? i hear from some ppl that drifting is pretty cheap, u dont really have to do much to your car, and from others, that u have to spend a lot of cash. what one is it? i spent about 4 gs on my raptor in about a year, just breaking sh it and buying parts, i know things on a car are more expensive but what are some things that you need?

Comment

and old mustang would be an interesting idea, talk to the guys here who drift old F bodys and see what they sugest as far as suspension mods go.

For the most part it doesnt cost much to get a drift vehichle. Drifting is expensive if your dumb and you drift on the streets or something and crash. If your just doing track events your alot better off.

However drifting is hard on a car you things will break, and you will go threw tires rapidly, thus the expensive, its expense is all relative.

You dont need to spend alot of money to get a vehichle that can drift at an entry level. I dont know if this applies to an old mustang, you may need some suspension mods. I dont really know.

A car like a 240sx can usualy drift at an entry level stock, of course as you get alittle better your going to want a LSD, maybe some more power and some suspension upgrades. but that holds true for most vehichles.

Comment

thanks man, how often do u go through tires? i suppose u just buy garbage for tires, my dad just put toyos on our lexus ls 430, and those things were EXPESIVE lol. how often do u replace tires?

Comment

depends on how hard i run them and how often i drift. If you screw up, which you will while your new you will go threw more tires. Put it this way you will be changing tires at least once every 6 months, especialy when your new
                the harder and more often you drift, the more often you will go threw tires.

Comment

so does it puit a big strain on anything else? tranny? motor?

Comment

Yes you will probably use up a clutch pretty quick. i dont have a clutch so lol.

but yes, running your motor and tranny hard is hard on it period, And you do that when drifting pretty often, I wouldnt say its harder on the engine then drag racing. As for the transmission it probably is alittle harder.

Comment

ok so that answeres my question... i know from experiance that clutches arnt that cheap lol inless ur irch anyways. well, i guess i should just wait till later to start having fun with this. too expensive now

Comment

Just learn to drive for now, have fun, relax, dont worry about it. Watch it, go to drift events, be interested in it, but dont worry about drifting until you have more regular driving under your belt.

Comment

yea, thast probably good advise. but i dont know of anywhere that i could go to drifting events around here. are there any drift specific magazines? i live in the northeast, (us) and the only place ive heard of things going on is down in texas anc california. im sure there is stuff closer but i havent heard of it. any suggestions? can u watch it on tv? im new to this, sry about all the questions, this is an awesome board

Comment

its not televised anywere, you can buy option dvds of the action. Also check out the Formula D website www.formulad.com they are having events all over, there might be one with in a short drive from you. Also stay tuned for more drift events as it gets more popular

Comment

quick3000gt i'm currently working on a 3000gt drift build first thing you will need is a conversion from fwd to rwd, keep in mind you will be using your hand break alot and it could damage the break line so buy a hydro ebreak, 2nd get some coilovers just find some and compare them for the best price, 3rd as you upgrade the car you will need to change the clutch and maybe the transmission, 4th find a good gravel roads and practice. The 3000gt is pretty hard to drift if you can drift this, drifting any other car will be easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X