First time drift event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time drift event

I am going to go to my first drift event tomm. US Drift Nationals is having an event near me and I am going to enter to run for the hell of it. I have never drifted before and would appreciate any input.

My set up:

1987 Porsche 944S, 16V 2.5 I4 with about 210HP and 180 TQ at the crank. I have Koni adjustables all around with 250# springs up front and stock torsion bars in the rear. The rear tires, bald. The fronts are a little better, all Pirelli P7k SS.

The car has a perfect 50/50 weight dist front to rear.

I am a capable driver, I have accidently drifted before and done fine, just never gone out and purposfully threw it into a drift. Not even sure how, I have read a few websites about race drifts and power over etc....just descriptions really, I need technique.

THanks in advance to all.
    Attached Files

good luck.. first time drifting? dont try anything u dont think u can do yet... might crash... unless its a big empty space... then do whatever u want..

Comment

It is in a parking lot of a mall.

Comment

oh... then have fun... try not to kill too many cones..

Comment

go out and do some practice tonight!!! in a safe place of course...

Where in VA is the event??

Comment

Richmond, Cloverleaf mall.

Comment

I have always wanted to meet a 944 drifter, how is that working out for you, I considered buying one, and how did you get your hands on a 944s??? are you running a turbo??? anyways good luck, have fun

Comment

whats the situation with spectators, its at a mall so i guss there are some.fredericksburg is about a hour awayso it might not be to bad to get my parents to take me down

Comment

Have fun and wear your helmet and watch out for wipe-plash (however you spell it). If you have a roll cage and you're tall... Definately wear a helmet

Comment

It is a NA motor, not turbo. I dont know about spectators, shouldnt be a problem!

Comment

bring at least 2 extra wheels/tires, preferably 4 since your current tires are already bald.

Oh, and look ahead. Its common advice for racing, but I've never really seen people say it about drifting. Basically, don't concentrate as much on what is happening immediately around your car but instead focus on where you want to slide through. Hard to explain, but it's really helped smooth out and prolong my drifts...

Comment

get out there and maybe do some runs with somone in the car that looks like they know what thier doin and ask them for tips and ride along with them too just to get an idea of someones style who does well

Comment

Start small, then go big.

Don't ruin your self or your car in the first 10 minutes..

-MR

Comment

Working...
                          X