N00B with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00B with a question

Ahoy there everyone, i have just recently entered the drift scene and was wondering if it is possible to drift with a Porsche 944 (Its an old 1984 model, i think). I just got the car so my knowledge of it is pretty bad. One thing i go know is its on "Amateur" transmission *shudders*. If anyone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it

amateur transmission? a new word for automatic? yeah i think there was one person that used to post here that drifted a 944

Comment

Yeah...night racer was his name I think; anyway, I'll summon him back from the dead and see what he has to say.

Comment

Of course you can drift in your 944, because it's RWD. Although it's power is relatively low, 160bhp, drifting has been done with lower powered cars too.

Main problem is that it has weight distribution like 50/50, and that combined to low power it doesn't make drifting easy. But like always, your skills will compensate limitations of your car.

-Jore

Comment

Ya, i call it amateur transmission :P. I also noticed its poor power (bleh), but weight distribution is pretty new to me, thanks for the heads up, and i cant wait to hear from night racer, assuming he can be re-summoned

Comment

hey it's more power than an 86!

Comment

Originally posted by TougeDorifuto
              hey it's more power than an 86!
              Yeah, but it weights 1260kg, so I believe it's a lot more than 86. Can somebody tell us the weight of stock 86?

Also as it's said it has more like 50/50 weight distribution when 86 is more front weighted.

-Jore

Comment

Have to add that I checked those facts and 944 has 50.7/49.3 when AE86 has 53/47 weight distribution.

And AE86 weights like 940-960kg depending it's version so it has weight/power ratio of 7.3kg/bhp and 944 has 7.9kg/bhp, so in the end they aren't so much different in that.

Of course suspension and it's geometry will make biggest differences.

-Jore

Comment

whoa. lol. bravo to you. lol. XD but still. it should be driftable.

Comment

Oh ya, and since im using AT arent i heavily restricted in terms of the drift styles?

Comment

Weight shifting is possible with AT, and power over of course, but maybe little lowish that 160bhp of yours for that

Does somebody know how e-braking works with RWD AT car?

-Jore

Comment

take into consideration the cost and ease of repairing the car. If you plan on drifting, plan on crashing/braking something. If it costs a lot to repair or replace parts on this car, it would be a bad choice financially.

Comment

ryan the owenr of streetracing.org has a 944 that he drifts...talk to him bout it

Comment

Originally posted by Jore
                            Weight shifting is possible with AT, and power over of course, but maybe little lowish that 160bhp of yours for that

Does somebody know how e-braking works with RWD AT car?

-Jore
                            Same way as it does in any other car... I drift an Auto and though i am now encountering a bad understeering problem (i think i broke something) I use the handbrake, and i use the braking drift which is a lateral weight transfer using the foot brake, and i use alittle feint slash power over move sometimes. but im still learning and working on new techniques

Your limited in the fact that your auto may have abit of a delay, youjust have to work around, and you cant easily do a clutch manuver, but personaly, i dont consider the clutch kick that advanced of a technique.

You may want a manual further down the road, they are superior, but no reason you cant drift your auto. just know your car.

Comment

Working...
                            X