Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science behind drifts?

Just like the subject says sciene behind drifting
    if it isn't that much trouble i would like to know how different drift tech. differ with other in science terms.

i dont know anything about drifting and i would like to learn more and where do you go to learn more? to the people that do it of course!

braking: An important effect when accelerating or braking is the effect of weight transfer....when braking hard the car will nosedive. During accelerating, the car leans back. This is because just like the driver is pushed back in his seat when the pedal hits the metal, so is the car's centre of mass. The effect of this is that the weight on the rear wheels increases during acceleration and the front wheels conversely have less weight to bear and vice versa for braking. Braking causes less weight...which leads to less traction on the rear wheels.

i think velocity and many other sites have more info on techniques..i dont really know much about physics though...i know that the feint causes loss of traction while feinting away from the turn which allows you to oversteer back over towards the turn and countersteer through the corner

Comment

Physic's and Geometery...

Drifting is essestaily exceeding the limit of the tires lateral adhesin, there for if you could figure out a formula you could figure out the exact angle a drift would begin to occur and what angle a drift would be indefintily lost...

Comment

Iam only 16 right now almost 17
        im learning Physics right now.

I would say that Physics takes a big part in drifting.

i lerned everything on this site, i started reading and learned.

Comment

Yeah, it's all physics. Basically, you manipulate the front and rear traction to slide the car around the corner. To control the traction you manupulate the weight of the car through steering, acceleration, braking. You can also further manipulte the traction though heavy throttle or the e-brake although these aren't weight shift techniques.

In physics terms, traction(friction) is simply the coefficient of friction, mu, times the normal force applied.

The coefficient of friction is based on the interaction between two surfaces, in drifting case, the road and the tire. The tread compound, the road material, the tire texture, and the road texture all affect what mu is. Even temperature affects mu. Tires get stickier when they get warmer.

The normal force is the force perpindicular to the ground or object the friction is occuring. In our case, it's a verticle force downwards on the tire to the road. The stronger the force, the greater the friction, i.e. traction. If you have more weight over a tire, it has more traction.

Using weight shifting techniques, you can move the force around to any of the 4 tires as much as you want to control the amount of traction. For example, if you brake hard into a corner, you will shift a large amount of weight forward to the front tires. This gives the front tires a lot of grip. At the same time, you take a lot of weight off the back end and make the rear tire have only a little grip. As you turn around the corner, the rear tires can't counter the centrifugal forces that want to make the rear end go straight and not follow the corner. The rear end slides and you start the drift. This is known as braking drift.

Comment

physics...

well actually if u multiply the coefficient drag of your girlfriend on your lap while maintaining a left lateral drift across your lawn, taking into account the seatbelt friction on her oobies during a standing burnout... it is all so simple... well, that is if she was wearing a thong during all this... the vertical tuck and scrunch factor is very important in maintaining a controlled clutch burn... simply divide the weight of your moms dunlop by the amount of gasoline in your tank on a given full moon and everything should work out for you. lemme know how it goes! =D

asdf_

Comment

Re: physics...

Originally posted by optionboyONLINE
              well actually if u multiply the coefficient drag of your girlfriend on your lap while maintaining a left lateral drift across your lawn, taking into account the seatbelt friction on her oobies during a standing burnout... it is all so simple... well, that is if she was wearing a thong during all this... the vertical tuck and scrunch factor is very important in maintaining a controlled clutch burn... simply divide the weight of your moms dunlop by the amount of gasoline in your tank on a given full moon and everything should work out for you. lemme know how it goes! =D

asdf_
              ^^^pwuahaha

you dont need to know all the technical stuff on how to drift. look at takumi, just a sleepy headed idiot... and he can drift like a champ

well really, when you know what forces are at work you have a better understading which equals to more knowledge... blahdy blah blah....

Comment

haah

lol. takumi drew upon the power of his tofu to keep him alive during those 15 lateral G slides... duh.. we all know that.

wondertwinPOWERS! form of! a tofu blocK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nedinic

i lerned everything on this site, i started reading and learned.

....the new posterchild for Drifting.com

Comment

True, you don't need understanding to drift. Some people are born with a gift. Some people can just hop in a car and drive the snot out of it. Others can't. Still, knowledge is power. If you understand it as well as have a natural gift, you're pretty much unstoppable. This is true in any profession/sport/hobby/etc...

I personally pushed myself and my car when I was young. I knew nothing of physics. I just knew what I experienced, sometimes not even that. Actually learning why things happen really sheds some light on what's going on. Actually being able to understand these things gives you understanding. When you know it, you can use it. I understand the concepts and I can put them to use to control my car. This is a powerful tool. Without knowledge, you're guessing and trying, kind of in the dark all the time. With it, you know and do, and everything works like it should.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys
                      but i wonder what is the difference with like
                      fient drift
                      and like other drifts
                      i mean drift is a drift why is there so many tech. out there.
                      i understand that FF cars have to use the ebrake to kick out the back
                      but arn't FR cars the same why do you need so many techs?

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
                        True, you don't need understanding to drift. Some people are born with a gift. Some people can just hop in a car and drive the snot out of it. Others can't. Still, knowledge is power. If you understand it as well as have a natural gift, you're pretty much unstoppable. This is true in any profession/sport/hobby/etc...

I personally pushed myself and my car when I was young. I knew nothing of physics. I just knew what I experienced, sometimes not even that. Actually learning why things happen really sheds some light on what's going on. Actually being able to understand these things gives you understanding. When you know it, you can use it. I understand the concepts and I can put them to use to control my car. This is a powerful tool. Without knowledge, you're guessing and trying, kind of in the dark all the time. With it, you know and do, and everything works like it should.
                        experience = the best knowlege

ironhero, fr and ff are pretty much like day and night. you cant really break the end loose on a ff like a rwd car. with a rwd car you ahve the advantage of being able to use the throttle to bring the rear around and as with the other techniques
                        Last edited by spinitsidewayz!; 03-29-2004, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironhero
                          Thanks for all the replys
                          but i wonder what is the difference with like
                          fient drift
                          and like other drifts
                          i mean drift is a drift why is there so many tech. out there.
                          i understand that FF cars have to use the ebrake to kick out the back
                          but arn't FR cars the same why do you need so many techs?
                          some techniques are easier than others...and its also about style...well and also about personal reference...the rear end doesnt slide out in an FF as easy because of its ffront wheel drive, making it understeer when you press the gas while you're sideways, snapping you back to where you started...on an FR, the rear wheel drive allows you to slide your back out easier because it isnt powered in the front, so you wont snap back as much ..the rear wheel spins and the front wheel navigates...it an FF, the Front wheel controls the power and direction...im not sure if i made any sense

Comment

Ironhero,

This is how I have analyzed drifting.

A drift can occur when the desired momentum of the car is not in line with the steering track. This is the case at any point where you are not driving in a perfectly straight line.

A drift will occur in the above situation when the traction capability of the rear tires is exceeded while the traction of the front tires is maintained. This can be purposely caused by one, two or all three of the following:

1. A shift of weight from the rear to the front, causing less down force on the rear tires. Ex: Braking Drift and Lift Off
                            2. Increased lateral (Cornering) momentum. Ex: Feint
                            3. Tire to ground speed inconsistency. Ex: E Brake, Shift Lock and Power Over

A drift will be maintained as long as the momentum of the car is kept off the steering track and the rear tire speed is not allowed to match ground speed.

A drift will end when the momentum of the car is placed back on the steering track and the tire speed is matched with the ground speed.

That’s the science. The art is making all that happen with your steering wheel, gas pedal and brakes while maintaining momentum.

Hope this helps.

Comment

^nicely said.

The different techniques exist cause you need to manipulate the car depending on what your doing. Sometimes you brake into a corner and a technique is needed to allow you to drift while braking - braking drift, e-brake, shift lock. Sometimes, you'll initiate the drift while maintaining a constant speed - feint, e-brake, throttle off, power over. And then there's times you want to drift when you're accelerating - feint, powerover.

How the car behaves, the line, and the quickness of initiation of the drift varies between techniques. Each has their purpose. You may changle techniques between curve angles and speeds. If the curve opens up or gets tighter will affect techniques used. Having a lot of methods to initiate and maintain a drift allows you to change speeds and turn angles while drifting to accomodate the curve. You'll even change techniques depending on how much braking or acceleration is needed.

e-brake may not be suitable coming in fast into a corner. Braking drift will allow you to slow down and initiate the drift.

In a more gradual high speed corner, you will not use braking drift because it will slow you down too much. Rather, you may just let off the throttle or feint a little to intiate the drift. You may even just floor it and power over to initiate the drift.

In a narrow tight corner, you may not have room to feint to start a drift. You may just brake hard into the corner to start the drift if you're coming in fast, or if you need to get the rear end out quick or if you're already at the right speed, you may just e-brake it. The nice thing about the e-brake, is that you don't need room to start the drift.

If a turn sharpens, you'll do a lot of braking drift through the corner. Very little throttle would be used since you continously bleed off speed. Any throttle techniques would be useless.

If a turn widens, you'll probably use powerover to gain speed through the corner as you drift. Any braking techniques would be useless.

Everything has its purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X