Nissan S Chassis Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan S Chassis Primer

Im not sure if this is in the right forum, However my drifting 101 threads are here, and i am writing this as a sort of suppliment to that. The idea of this thread is to give new guys who are interested in the sport some information on one of the most popular series of drift cars, The Nissan S Chassis.

This primer will focus on the S13 and S14 chassis availible in the states, and touch on engine swap possiblitys as well as japanese models of these vehichles. I also hope to touch on the S12 and S15 models alittle. With any luck others will add to this and will make write ups on other cars, the RX series perhaps, as well as the Corrolla's which seem to be the other two most popular drift cars.

Where to begin? it seems like a simple question unless you know alot about these cars... Lets start with name association. This is difficult because nissan likes to call cars multiple things in different countries. But for the sake of arguement this primer will cover the Nissan Silvia/180sx/200sx/240sx as well as the Sil80/Sil40/Silline conversions to some degree. The main focus of this primer will be the S13 series, because of its low price and popularity among the drifting crowd in America. Also the S13 and S14 are very similar cars, and most will hold true for both.

Table of Contents.

<a href=http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=43205#post43205>Chapter 0 Basic information </a>(below)
    Chapter 1 S12
    <a href=http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5023>Chapter 2 S13</a>
    Chapter 3 S14
    Chapter 4 S15
    Chapter 5 Engines

I am going to ask that no one post on this thread until i get it all done, i would prefer if all the chapters were right after each other on the same thread. If you have any questions or comments PM me. It may take me a few days to finish this.

<b>Chapter 0 - Basic Information</b>

If you are reading this and have no idea what the hell im talking about then this following chapter is for you. The Nissan S chassis series of cars refers to Nissan's Rear wheel drive, front engine Sports car, Known mostly as the "Silvia" in various trims over the years, The Silvia is usualy an affordable traditional sports car. They handled well, and where quick enough for there day in all trims. They were often coupes, though hatchback and convertable models existed, Namely in the S12 and S13 years. and another convertable came availible in the S15 years.

The S12 Silvia was produced from the early 80s until 88 (i think) it was sold in America as a 200sx, It had both coupes and hatchbacks, and came availible with a 2 liter CA engine as well as a 3 liter v6, 2liter turbos were even offered with a CA20ET motor. Thats a 2 liter inline four with a single overhead cam set up and a turbo charger. Please read the engine section for more detail on nissan engine codes. The S12 was also known as the gazelle

the S13 Silvia and 180sx where produced side by side, The Silvia featured a newer more modern chassis, it was a coupe with fixed headlights. The 180sx, mechanically the Silvia's sister, was a hatchback with more modern popup headlights. They began to besold in the 89 model year with a one point eight liter CA18DE engine, with dual overhead cams. A turbo model was availible in the silvia "k" it produced around 175 horse power, and was pretty quick. The 180sx, which was named for its displacement, was sold with the same engine options. In america the hatchback and Coupe bodys were both sold with popup headlights and the same motor, this time a KA24E. The KA24E was a 2.4 liter inline 4 with a single overhead cam, no turbo was offered, however the displacement allowed it to have a 150 horse power rating, and a large amount of torque compared to its smaller brother in japan. in 91 all S13 cars recieved a minor face lift and a new motor. in japan they recieved a displacement increase of 2 liters, in the sr20de and sr20det motors, in america we recieved a second cam shaft and a higher compression ratio and alittle more power.

the S14 only came as a coupe the engine basicly stayed the same as the S13, indeed many things were the same. This time all models had fixed headlights. In japan they recieved a higher power output and a new turbocharger, In america, the same engine was used as before, except now the weight had increased slightly. The names remained the same as well. the 180sx could still be had for a few years, but it was still the same S13 chassis.

the S15 is where america got screwed. A brand new beautiful sports car, with better handling and better asthetics and better weight distribution for cheap, And america didnt even recieve a version of it. Our 240sx was gone. This new Silvia with 255 horse power would be the last Silvia produced for now.

Stay tuned as i get the actualy chapters up which will cover each version of the car in much more detail and hopefuly have examples of different modified versions]
    Last edited by nissanguy_24; 06-05-2004, 10:27 AM.

Thought s15's had 280. They made the 180sx until 98 in japan.

Comment

anh they were only making like 250 something, that SUV with the sr20VET is pushing 280 though.

and thanks for the info on the 180

ill have some more of this done this week. This weekend has just been hectic

Comment

cool infos......

Comment

Just some info on the S12, I used to have one. They were produced from 1983 - 1988, offered engines, the CA18ET, the CA20E, and the VG30E, all SOHC. The VG30E was only availible in the 88 200sx SE, and it had the drivetrain basically lifted straight out of the 300zx non-turbo of the same year. They saw a bit of action in rallying, altho i dont remember any specifics about it.

Hope that helps (specifically when you said it was offered with a 2.0 L nonturbo (true) and turbo (false, CA18ET)... at least as far as i know, which is only USDM for the S12)

Comment

thank you very much, ill fix the info when i get back

Comment

Bump for newbies.. and i will get around to writing more chapters ! i promise

Comment

http://www.nissan.co.jp/MUSEUM/SILVIA/

Comment

Thanks spock.. ill just steal other peoples info in the future

Comment

You're welcome. It's got great information if you can read kanji.

Comment

yeah, most of the info i need, with some exceptions on sketchy S12 and earlier stuff is all in my head.

Comment

nissanguy you keep up the good work i got alot of my ricer friends to read your drift 101`s and you have helped me convert 4 honda ff street ricers so far (and i really mean ricers not racers ) and the guy said he can get a frieght shipment but i gotta talk to him on the frieght price for the ka motor for you too he might give me some old bosch turbos off of saabs too

Comment

Working...
                        X