Starting a drift..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a drift..

Ok, I just got back from a late night drive..I went to a road that noone was on and i went in first slowly, Hit second and floored it, My back tires started spinning but i had the wheel straight so i didnt go sideways..My idea is that if i do that, And steer in the oposite direction of the way i want my back tires to go I will swing the back out thus getting it sideways..Then I could possibly continue going sideways if I hit third, Floored it and countersteered..Input???

That is a technique used pretty often.

Check out my primers on drifting to get some more ideas for learning if you are new at it.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
      That is a technique used pretty often.

Check out my primers on drifting to get some more ideas for learning if you are new at it.
      Wow thanks your articles are really well put together and informative, Time to practice some 180s

Comment

im glad i could help, look for more articals this week.

Comment

Yea, your articles are really great, Im gonna be using them over the summer when I have time to spend with my car. Im glad they are actually stickied for everyone to look at. Ive only been on this forum a couple of months, but there have been soooo many "what drift car should I get" and "how do I drift" posts. Thank you for helping to quench this flow of repetative threads. Keep writing, they're great!

Comment

oh, thank you very much. Ill keep writing to help everyone out, and hopefuly soon my car will be drift worthy again, And i can work on some more techniques and share them.

I just want everyone to remember my writings are a guide, it is up to everyone to take it further add your own little twist, your own alittle flare. Make your own style. But feel free to use mine to learn and as a base.

Comment

Try a clutch kick, it should get you sideways.

Comment

or look for a corner with alot of sand or leaves or somthing like that on the road. It will help you loose traction alot easier.

Comment

if he looses front traction first it wont help him. he will just understeer into whatever tree provided the leaves

Comment

he shouldn't lose front traction if the front wheels aren't getting power. Trust me I've done it a number of times. He shouldn't be going fast enough for a loose surface to cause understeer anyway. And it doesn't need to be alot of sand just alittle patch. Give the throttle a nice blip right as your rear wheel pass over the sand.
                    Last edited by Emagdnim; 04-10-2004, 06:51 PM.

Comment

bring up a good point about the wheels spinning, but thats if hes on the throttle. most people when new dont start out powering threw the turns.

Also though S13s tend to understeer... I just want the guy to be safe is all.

Comment

yes safety is key. Thats why I sorta recommend useing a looser surface to start as you don't need to go as fast. And puts alot less stress on the drivetrain.

Comment

thats not a bad idea, especialy how you explained it. But its only true if hes starting out slow. I have this image of some guy going "i heard drifting is easier in the rain" then herdling down a moutain and trying to get it to drift. of course thats what natural selection is for.. but i still dont want to see a S13 destroyed like that..

Anyways i think we can both agree, If your going to practice on loose surfaces (not a bad idea as Emagdnim explained) start out at slow speeds. may i sugest 25 and working your way up?

i was able to drift in dry surfaces (with small amounts of dirt on the road) at around 30 with the handbrake and a small fient movement when i was first starting.

Comment

Exactly. I could get the back end out with aittle help from some sand at like 15-20 mph(though my car is very light so loose surfaces effect my traction alot more then it would others).
                            Last edited by Emagdnim; 04-10-2004, 07:04 PM.

Comment

three words---big parking lot--easy and somewhat safe

Comment

Working...
                              X