Drifting methods and techniques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting methods and techniques.

I was sitting here one day wondering what different types of drifting methods there were out there. So i did a bit of research and i found a couple. Here they are:

Kansei Drift - this is performed at race speeds, when entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle while slightly turning into a corner to induce a mild over steer and then balances the drift through steering, braking and throttle motions. (note: the car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the over steer will be induce when this technique is applied, if the car plows through any turn this technique will not work)

Braking Drift - this is performed by braking before a corner while starting to turn in, vary the brake petal until loss of grip is obtained and then balance the over steer through steering and throttle motions.

Faint Drift - this is performed by rocking the car towards the opposite direction of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. (note: this is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering)

Clutch Kick - this is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during a mild drift, then pop the clutch under power to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction.

Shift Lock - this is performed by letting the revs drop upon downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. (this is like pulling the E-brake through a turn - note: this is best to be performed in the wet to minimize damage to the driveline etc)

Side Brake Drift - this technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or (side brake) to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. (note this can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles)

Dirt Drop Drift - this is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle if losing power. (note: this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars, also good show move to produce a dirt rooster tail)

Jump Drift - in this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a rumble strip to help lose traction resulting in over steer.

Choku Dori - this is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this angle to set up for the turn ahead. (note: this can only be done at high speed)

Manji - this is a slow swaying faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.

Power Over - this is performed when entering a corner and using full throttle to produce heavy over steer (tail slide) through a turn. (note: need horsepower to make this happen) for the guys with the 240's, you cant do this drift with a stock KA. You need a SR swap or maybe a KA-T to do this drift.

If you have any other techniques to add to the list i woud appreciate it.

Troy

Nope, that's about it, lol. Nice informative post, can help those new to drifting to get an idea of what techniques are available to use.

You could add mid-drift techniques as well. List various ways to change your drift while in the middle of drifting. Things like braking, throttle, clutch kick, pumping the throttle, e-brake, steering adjustments and combinations of each to achieve certain things come to mind. List what they are and how they affect the drift: increase/decrease angle of attack, slow down the car and tightens the curve or speeds up the car and widens the curve. What can people do after they've started the drift.

Could do an end drift list as well. How to come out of a drift smoothly or to a achieve a certain goal(setup for another turn for example same direction or opposite direction).

There's so much to talk about, but yeah, nice post. Thumbs up!

Maybe a good comprehensive guide could be built for an informative reference to drifting, just my thoughts.

Comment

Re: Drifting methods and techniques.

Originally posted by duo001
      Power Over - this is performed when entering a corner and using full throttle to produce heavy over steer (tail slide) through a turn. (note: need horsepower to make this happen) for the guys with the 240's, you cant do this drift with a stock KA. You need a SR swap or maybe a KA-T to do this drift.

Yes you can do that with a stock KA.

Comment

Re: Re: Drifting methods and techniques.

Originally posted by Chas
        Yes you can do that with a stock KA.

XD

CHAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!!

YDoz <----

Comment

this list is like a... lady of loose morals... its been all around the net, though usualy with a few tweaks here and there. The bit about not being able to power over in a KA is new to me.

Comment

wow, how many times have i seen this list before? great repost. good to n00bs.

and yea you can power over with a stock KA, y the hell not?

Comment

Working...
            X