Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Works_FD
    replied
    mranlet Why do a lot of solo racing books say to apply power to overcome oversteer or a sliding rear end? Doesn't the power pull the car OUT of the drift rather than keep it going?

-MR

Those books are correct. You do have to apply power to straighten out the car. By applying throttle you keep the car driving forward. This goes for both FR and FF cars. The difference in steering input is what makes the car either drift or straighten out. If you want the car to continue drifting you keep the throttle on and you keep steering into the turn to keep the rear out. If you want to correct and straighten out, you keep the throttle on and unwind the steering until it is straight. Depending on how sensistive your steering inputs are, that will determine how the car will react.

Calvin

Leave a comment:

• mranlet
    replied
    ^ may I change your oil?

-MR

Leave a comment:

• nissanguy_24
    replied
    Originally posted by C-Works_FD
    Hi this is Calvin Wan. I actually started drifting in a 96 Dodge Avenger when I had it new back in the days. It was a ES model with the 5 speed 420A eclipse motor. It actually has a long wheelbase so the car is really stable while it is in a drift. But it also means it rotates slow and returns slow as well which has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to rely on the ebrake to initate the drift and once it comes out just keep the thing floored to drag the back end around. It is not the ideal drifter but it is possible. I got my first feel of drifting from that car. There are a lot of FF drifters in Japan, but you need to run really skinny high grip tires in the rear and have decent power to drag the car along. My advice is to try drifting with what you got. Anything is drifitable to a certain degree. Some cars are just easier than others. Just keep practicing.

Calvin Wan
    FD3S
    Discount Tire/ Falken RPS13
    It is a pleasure to have such a great drifter on our board. I absolutely love the S13 your driving for falken tire. Keep up the good work man.

Leave a comment:

• mranlet
    replied
    Why do a lot of solo racing books say to apply power to overcome oversteer or a sliding rear end? Doesn't the power pull the car OUT of the drift rather than keep it going?

-MR

Leave a comment:

• GRiDRaceTech
    replied
    Calvin knows his stuff... hell, he was in the first US appearance of D1. He's a drifting instructor, too.

Leave a comment:

• allblackS14
    replied
    alot of drifters in japan drift FF? wtf? no they dont.

Leave a comment:

• C-Works_FD
    replied
    Hi this is Calvin Wan. I actually started drifting in a 96 Dodge Avenger when I had it new back in the days. It was a ES model with the 5 speed 420A eclipse motor. It actually has a long wheelbase so the car is really stable while it is in a drift. But it also means it rotates slow and returns slow as well which has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to rely on the ebrake to initate the drift and once it comes out just keep the thing floored to drag the back end around. It is not the ideal drifter but it is possible. I got my first feel of drifting from that car. There are a lot of FF drifters in Japan, but you need to run really skinny high grip tires in the rear and have decent power to drag the car along. My advice is to try drifting with what you got. Anything is drifitable to a certain degree. Some cars are just easier than others. Just keep practicing.

Calvin Wan
    FD3S
    Discount Tire/ Falken RPS13

Leave a comment:

• ProjectD
    replied
    Originally posted by mranlet
    It looks like an S15 from the rear though...

-MR
    looks can be quite deceiving

Leave a comment:

• mranlet
    replied
    It looks like an S15 from the rear though...

-MR

Leave a comment:

• ProjectD
    replied
    0-60 in 10? holy crap that is pretty damned slow.

slower than N/A 2g eclipses, 0-60 in 9 secs. dang.

what an embarrassment for a sport compact.

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied
    Yeah I know. But sometimes the parking break could be that little pedal off to the side. In the truck I'm getting, its a rod you pull out torwards you. By the e-brake I meant the handle you pull up.

Leave a comment:

• GRiDRaceTech
    replied
    Rooney- all cars nowadays come with e-brakes. The "Park" function of an automatic transmission is just a little peg that sits on a tooth of a gear. It's not all that strong.

Zero- please, for the love of God, don't come onto the board and say "Can I drift my Avenger?" because it just makes everyone roll their eyes. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. If you have to ask, then drifting is most likely not for you.

Leave a comment:

• markeese180sx
    replied
    dayum its a speeder lol

Leave a comment:

• ACDSupra7
    replied
    Originally posted by Rooney

0-60 10 seconds
    Ouch

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied

Eh, FWD, Slow, it does come with a 5spd, so i guess it has a e-brake.

Since paint sucks, and I'm new to photoshop, it says 0-60 10 seconds. Fwd.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X