turbo and super charging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo and super charging!

has anyone ever seen a chevy small block with hooker compitition headers turbo charged? I've heard of super charging but i don't want to.

well usualy turbo systems use a custom header, designed to let the turbo bolt up, and still keep the turbo close enough that the compressor side can be routed to the intake.

And im very very very sure someone has turbocharged a small block chevy, and twin turbo charged a small block chevy before.

Comment

Yeah I've seen some bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* Camaro SS twin turbos before. Supercharging is far more common on chevy 350's and Ford 305's.

Comment

before you turbo a 350 you really have to get the heads ported.
        but here's a link-
        tt ss camaro
        biggest rule is to not over boost, and have fun with what you drive, no matter how much power you put out.

Comment

well with domestic i would go super charging unless its fuel injected then i would go with the turbos BUT if its got a carb supercharger

REMEBER BOYS AND GIRLS EDLEBROCK IS BAD AND OUT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY AND SOULS HOLLEY IS THE BEST ROCHESTERSTYLE CARBS SUCK AND BLOW UP ENGINES

even though a old trans am with a auto and twin turbos does sound pretty nice or that damned EL Camino with its friggen super charger damn el caminos
          Last edited by mudduck3006; 04-28-2004, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah if you're gonna go turbo then you'll need special manifolds, so those Hooker headers will be of no use. Although, I've seen people flip one side of their headers upside down and run a single setup that way with custom flanges and piping. For my street TT SBC project I spent the extra $$ to get manifolds made for my car so they fit perfectly and bolt up to any T04 series turbos. If you're building your car to drift, I honestly dont think you need F/I with a SBC. You can easily hit 400hp/400tq N/A 350 SBC, even more if you stoke the motor. Thats plenty of power for drifting!!!! I'm doing good in my green car with only 330tq (stock) and 1st gear. Remember to focus on torque, not hp. The holy grail for drifting IMO would be an all aluminum BBC engine pumping out 500tq out of the box (flat curve) on 92 octane gas.

Comment

alright this all seems a bit expensive i was hoping that i could find something i could more or less bolt on. strictly for racing would you suggest N2O?

Comment

screw superchargerīs..!!!lol

Comment

I heard that you could turbocharge or supercharge anything...

Comment

Yeah you can turbo or supercharge anything. As long as you find stuff that fits and its tuned correctly. Anyway, I think Nitrous would be a bad idea for a drift car. I know some of the D1 guys use it, but they're at the D1 skill level. For most of us in the amature level (me included), Nitrous will probably cause you to crash since the kickout will be so violent. An all Motor V8 with a flat torque curve and good throttle response is perfect for drifting. You do not need high peak HP/TQ numbers or fast 1/4 mile times in this sport.

Comment

Re: turbo and super charging!

Originally posted by DriftingNova
                      has anyone ever seen a chevy small block with hooker compitition headers turbo charged? I've heard of super charging but i don't want to.
                      For turbocharging you'll need custom exhaust manifolds to route the exhaust gasses to the turbo. Turbo kits will include these, as well as the intake plumbing and possibly an intercooler, and the turbo itself. A supercharger will be less expensive and easier to install, but won't provide as much hp as a turbo. Also be aware of the different types of superchargers (positive displacement and centrifugal). The centrifugal trades low-rpm power for torque whereas the roots trades high-rpm power for instant boost and fat torque curve.

Nitrous is an easy way to add 100hp for around 800 dollars, but you have to make sure you're fuel system can deliver enough fuel to add with the nitrous. (You have to add more fuel with a blower as well). You'll also want to make sure the system has safety switches to prevent an explosion in case of a lean fuel mixuture.

For driftning I'd reccomend an all-motor setup with matched parts, like Holley Systemax 2 or Edelbrock performer. Each provides matched heads, cam, and intake (carb or efi) to give you the best performance and good all around power and driveablilty.

What you need power wise depends on what you want to do with the car. What do you want to use it for: drag, drift, or daily driver? Also how much do you want to spend on the car?

Comment

Working...
                      X