Drifting in an Automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting in an Automatic?

I am very shortly going to look at a nissan 200sx (S13) 1.8 Turbo with a view to buy. The mileage and condition are all perfect but it is an automatic.

Just wonder if I should reconsider this purchase if I want to use the Nissan for power sliding and drifting. Having owned a manual Opel Manta for many years and enjoying powersliding on roundabouts with good control over the revs, will I still be able to do this with an automatic kickdown?

My fear is that as I approach a corner, rather than drop a gear and power on for a slide, I'll hit the pedal to kick down and have too much revs that I can't control and go spinning round on my *Censored**Censored**Censored*!!

Any advice (before I maybe buy it tommorow afternoon) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Do a search.

Comment

drifting with an automatic is possible. probably a lil more dificult. but if you have done it before and enjoyed it, then go for it. if i were you, i'd just keep looking for a manual. you will be happier in the end.

Comment

probably limited to ebrake and to power over techniques.

the 200sx is pretty easy to swap to mt if you've an at. quite a popular request in the sf. bay area in ca for the 240sx.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
          probably limited to ebrake and to power over techniques.

the 200sx is pretty easy to swap to mt if you've an at. quite a popular request in the sf. bay area in ca for the 240sx.
          Your limited to hand brake, power over and weight transfer techniques. basicly the only thing you cant dont is use the clutch to spin the tires suddenly.

I have an automatic S13, and i am very very happy with it. I've learned quite abit with it however, and recently my engine broke, so i am looking for an Sr20 front clip, ill swap out the tranny then. I feel having the automatic forced me to learn foot braking techniques and such, that most the guys with my skill level frankly dont know. They got to using the clutch and basicly stuck on it. The auto also let me concentrate on my technique alot better earlier on, instead of worrying about falling out of my stock seat. That left foot came in handy.

On the touge the auto is at a dissadvantage. but theres nothing wrong with learning with one, or driving it hard. Manual swaps are suposively pretty easy to do with the S13s, and are done pretty often anyways, so i say get the auto if you want it.

Comment

id say, drive it for a few weeks, see how you like it. then if not, spend some $ on a new tranny

Comment

I conquer

Comment

conquer what?

-MR

Comment

Concurr?

Originally posted by mranlet
                  conquer what?

-MR

Comment

i own with auto

Comment

I own with auto.....and FWD. beat that...i do the impossible....hahaha, but seriously, i can

Comment

Well, I bought the auto S13 CA18DET yesterday and have already had the back end out on a few occasions while I adjust to the balance and weight of the car. I'm very pleased with it and the only gripe about having an auto over a manual is the delay between putting my foot down and the engine responding. Other than that ROCK ON!!

Thanks for all your advice, especially from the auto owners who confirmed that driving an auto is not just for old people!

Now I'm just gonna go and find myself the perfect roundabout.......

Cheers.

Comment

Good job, have fun and maybe think about buyin me one....lol

Comment

Drifting with an automatic tranny is not that difficult but the thing that might hold you back is the fact that the 200sx is a front wheel drive car which is going limit you to mostly the hand brake and weight transference.

Comment

No you misunderstand he has a S13 200sx, the equivlent of the S13 Silvia, related to our 240sx.

Nissan used the name 200sx on a few ocasions, we got a S12 200sx, and the B14 (sentra body) 200sx that your thinking of.

Comment

Working...
                              X