E-brake to prolong the drift....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spazum888

where did you start drifting? how did you find your techniques?
    where did i start? im not supposed to condone illegal actions on the boards. somethin like that anyway. i got a warning from a mod. pm me about that one. and the thing with techniques is just to keep on trying and trying. have someone film you front inside of the car, from the outside. all that good stuff. the video will help you criticize yourself.

Comment

Re: i gotta...

Originally posted by ainanet_S13
      I tell him that some Americans think the E-brake is not natural and is cheating. He laughs and says "Drifting isnt natural!! E-brake is Necessary!!"
      Well put! This would have to go in my sig, but the drifting rickshaws wins out. Very vividly written post!

Originally posted by ainanet_S13 ...im not supposed to condone illegal actions on the boards.
      +1

One of the DGtrials Aces High drivers (Erik Jacobs) - who beat out Ken Gushi at Formula D Atlanta recently to make the top 8 - uses the E-brake as an essential part of his style. The way he uses it seems to essentially be getting the weight to the outside wheels, jabbing the E to break the tires loose and putting on the power to keep them there. His drifts are pretty smooth for using such a fundamental technique and is in no way a noob or anything or the sort.

I think that unless there is a reason for not using the E (crappy system like on GM cars as cited in CrazyH's posts) then by all means you SHOULD use it. Just like the best race drivers use the whole track, the best drifters use the whole car.

CrazyH - do you have the stock brake setup in the rear? There must be a way to improve the E-brake on your car...

-MR

Comment

im kinda new here..but yeah..just one suggestion..

but b4 that..i jus want 2 say that you guys really like the Ebrake.
        i mean, its important and all but you guys think its really all about drifting with that. you dont even need your Ebrake to drift. a true drift can b done without the Ebrake..your Ebrake should just be a last resort.

...now back to what i wanted to say. umm..instead of using the Ebrake, try other drifting techniques..like heel and toe shifting. if you heel/toe right you can get ur back end to swing out as long as you turn your wheel hard to the direction of the turn. just get around 50 or higher to get a nice long drift out of that and if it feels lyke ur car isnt sliding right, then you can Ebrake to get the full effect of the drift.

-jus a suggestion to you guys.

Comment

Just to let you know, I drift an Auto and I dont use the E-Brake at all, ever. You're damn straight that you dont need the E-Brake to drift. But you DO need the E-Brake to extend the slide. I can kick the car out good and connect turns, but without the E-Brake I'll never be able to extend a slide as long as the guys that use it. For example, in some portions of my local track there is a small straight between turns. With my current style of no E-Brake I have to choku in that spot. But the other guys that use the E-Brake can clear that spot in one long slide. Their slides look much crazier and cooler than mine (and I know they are crazier and cooler because I've ridden w/ people that do it). I look at it from this perspective. There are some people that use the E-Brake to initiate a slide, all the time. Those are the guys that you should be talking to. We're talking about using the E-Brake to extend (prolong) the slide or correct your angle after you've already initiated the slide with other techniques. Big difference.

MR, I do have the stock rear brakes on all my cars. I tried adjusting the cable as best as I could, but it still dosnt lock up like I want. My next attempt will be a set of Lokar cables with better adjustments, but I fear the weakness of the GM E-Brake in a drifting environment is because of the design itself. If this is the case (and Lokar cables dont help) I plan to experiment with the SSBC Mechanical E-Brake unit. Its a seperate unit you install on the other side of the rotor (opposite the caliper). But I have never seen one up close yet, so I dunno ... might be the same design as the GM stuff. If every idea I have fails, my final attempt will be a secret hehe but I know it will work. One hint ... did you know they make brake rotors for your driveshaft? hehe.

Comment

opps

opps i forgot that i wasnt supposed to condone drifting!??!!

The owner of this board has condoned street drifting in the past, so why has it all of the sudden changed?? Sounds like someone is getting paid and the people paying that someone are starting to use their power.....

Or i could be wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
              One hint ... did you know they make brake rotors for your driveshaft? hehe.
              I was thinking it before you even said it

If you want to keep it a secret I'll refrain from discussint it on this thread, but check your PM box

The stock crap-tastic drum brakes on my CRX are barely enough to hold the car from rolling down a hill when parked! It's the same linkage that I had on my Legacy but that car had 11" rear discs (!!!) to match the 11" fronts. Upgrading your brakes will probably help tremendously with the E-linkage problem, and you'll have bada$$ brakes!

-MR

Comment

i am just wondering but how violent for the car is pulling on the e-brake? because i have watched videos of people correcting their turns with quick pulls but i dont know how bad it is for your car. oh and another question is i was watching a video and someone was obviously drifting and his tires just locked up for about a split second mid drift. was he pulling on his e-brake?

Comment

E-brake is no worse than regular brakes, but just on one set of wheels. You don't yank it while you're on the throttle, so it's really not bad at all.

In that video you saw, they are either pulling the E or shift-locking and the camera happened to be capturing the images at the same rate that the wheels were spinning.

-MR

Comment

Re: opps

Originally posted by ainanet_S13
                    opps i forgot that i wasnt supposed to condone drifting!??!!

The owner of this board has condoned street drifting in the past, so why has it all of the sudden changed?? Sounds like someone is getting paid and the people paying that someone are starting to use their power.....

Or i could be wrong......
                    Do you know the owner of this site?

Comment

does

Do i know the owner....No. Just an observation and response to the previous posters reply.

Comment

now back to what i wanted to say. umm..instead of using the Ebrake, try other drifting techniques..like heel and toe shifting. if you heel/toe right you can get ur back end to swing out as long as you turn your wheel hard to the direction of the turn. just get around 50 or higher to get a nice long drift out of that and if it feels lyke ur car isnt sliding right, then you can Ebrake to get the full effect of the drift.

^^^^^^^^^

I'm now dumber for having read this. (unless your'e talking about translocking) heheh heel and toe downshifting is used to get your car into a lower gear and higher RPM...you still have to initiate the drift somehow. here's how my typical (try) at drifting goes
                        heel&toe(if I need to)/snapfeint/e-brake snap/gas/counter/gas/gas/ebrake slightly/gas/gas/straighten

if all you're talking about is powersliding that is uber noob.You'll have to pardon me for saying so ,but any *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* with a rwd and a few horsepower can do this. the easiest drift(?) if you can even call it that.

anyway no offense meant just my $.02

Comment

SR20 sileighty

SR20 sileighty are you from Cali. If so. are you the guy with full CF body Hatchback and SR20 stock? just wondering.

Comment

baboon's a$$

you haven't seen someone initiate a drift with Heel/Toe? it feels like a clutch kick.

I think ebrake should be use for correcting your angle. But some people use it to initiate a drift.

I say, if your a noob. whatever works, works!

Comment

sorry but....he said uber noob. hahahaha (-:> you are pardoned.

Comment

Heel-toe would not be the correct term for it. It has to be shift-locking, which requires zero heel-toeing.

A heel-toe shift uses the heel of the foot on the accerator to blip the throttle whilst braking with the ball of the foot for seamless (in theory, of course) downshifts.

Shift-locking is releasing the clutch on a downshift without heel-toeing, thus creating drag on the rear wheels which induces oversteer.

Get it right, people.

Comment

Working...
                                X