No announcement yet.

E-brake to prolong the drift....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought shifting down just violently sends a jolt of power upsetting the traction and by shifting down i mean from like 3rd at 6,000 to second. please correct me if i am wrong.

Comment

Not if you ease the clutch out... then it just begins to lock the rear wheels. I was not very specific on how the clutch is released previously, sorry. If you pop the clutch, then yes, it'd be violent as all hell.

Figure it this way:
      Newbie to driving stick- shift lock occurs pretty often due to inability to rev-match while downshifting. However, I don't know anyone stupid enough to downshift for a corner without rev-matching during the entry.

Veteran to driving stick- rev-matches for smooth downshifts with no ill effects on the car's balance.

Drifter- kicks the clutch to disrupt rear wheel traction to initiate/continue the drift and uses shift-lock on purpose.

PS- As much as I dislike e-braking, I think it's necessary to drift well. It allows the driver to control angle, speed, and length... all of which are important in a judged competition.

Comment

no need to apologize because i was just asking in general. when you say a veteran matches the rpms to downshift do you mean like double clutch or whatever? some guys are crazy with that.

Comment

I mean heel-toe. I explained it earlier.

Double clutching is worthless on modern syncho-equipped transmissions. It is, however, taught in almost all driving schools.

The technique for double clutching is as follows: clutch in, place gearshift lever in neutral, clutch out, blip throttle, clutch in, downshift, clutch out. The reason the car is revved with the clutch out is to get the transmission input shaft moving, rather than just the engine, thus creating a more effective blip. But, it's slower than heel-toeing. This is all done while braking usually. If you're a drag-racer with an absolutely crap gearbox, then I guess you have to double-clutch also.

Comment

oh ok.

Comment

+1 on the heel/toe versus double clutch posts.

The E-brake is just one more weapon in the arsenal...

-MR

Comment

Just as a question to grid or anyone who can answer this: I'm sure that once you initiate you initiate your drift into a corner using whatever technique you like, you heel-toe and rev match to maintain speed. But where I get confused is where heel-toe and double clutching meet. I think I've read that you can do both to further smooth drift but in heel-toe, don't you rev match and DOWNSHIFT to maintain speed whereas in double clutching you go into neutral to revmatch to UPSHIFT to basically maintain speed. How does both coincide with each other? My guess is that during the climax of your drift you heel-toe but upon exiting you double clutch after?

Comment

Both are used to rev-match your downshifts... I've never heard of any intelligent reasons to double-clutch on an upshift. The double-clutch upshift is a bit of The Fast and The Furious idiocy.

Don't go about confusing the newbies.

Comment

Working...
                  X