Touge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverGhost
    what types of safety restraints are you guys using on your cars? Im looking for a 4 point harness for mine, anyone know where i can get one for a cheap price (sub $100, if possible)?
    you can build it..just try to find the diagrams of one...sizes and cuts.... but its kinda ghetto..really i dont know how.. ill buy a two point one for the 4 points seat belts like the rally one...

Comment

but if you can try to get the better one..your life worth it...

Comment

what types of safety restraints are you guys using on your cars? Im looking for a 4 point harness for mine, anyone know where i can get one for a cheap price (sub $100, if possible)?
        This is a really, really bad thing to skimp on.

Think about it.

Comment

... and don't skimp on the install either; compressed spines are not fun. Search on google to find out how the racers (not ricers) install theirs.

Comment

yea, no joke.

The right way to do this is with legit, quality harnesses run to a legit, quality harness bar. Probably one that's part of a legit, quality cage, hahaha. I don't think he wanted to hear that.

Don't run them to the floor or any such. You want the harnesses to go as straight back from your shoulders as they can. If you crash with them at an extreme angle, as to the floor, you'll be squished like a bug. Well, maybe not like a bug, but you'll get out of that car about 3 inches shorter then when you got in. (And on a stretcher)

Comment

i have done my research, i know where and how to mount them, i just need a site where i can get like some good sparco or sabelt or momo harnesses....i cannot find them online, and i dont need to "skimp" on anything except cost. like maybe someone knows of a discount race parts store or something...

Comment

any links as to where and how to mount them?

there arent many possible paces to mount them other than the existing places wehre teh previous seatbelts in teh back were. thats how i mount them to my s14, please give me links to the truth about this, t i couldnt find anything, thanks

Comment

Very, VERY good question!

In my CRX I have a Si seat, Megan Racing C-pillar/Harness bar with a 4-point hook-and-loop type harness. The lap belt is mounted to the rear seat's bolt locations while the shoulder straps go under the headrest, loop over the C-pillar bar and bolt to the floor through sandwiched 3" washers (2 on the underside and 2 on top). I'm looking for a cheap racing seat like an OMP SPORT or ECO so that I can mount it more sturdily to the frame. If anyone is selling one, lemme know.

I've heard varying things about spinal compression - some say that with cars after 1990, steel-framed seats are built strong enough that it won't compress vertically in an accident. I've also read that it's not nescessarily the mounting location of the belts but how snug they are fitted - if the belts are excessively loose, the torso can rotate forward and be compressed. Believe what you want, but when it comes to safety your body is up to you. If you have a Harness bar or C-pillar bar, it's alright to thread the straps over and through that then you'll safely avoid spinal compression.

www.lokarmotorsports.com - has harness bars and a cool modular X-bar setup for harness and chassis stiffening.
                  www.kirkeyracing.com.com - seats, seat covers, harnesses, etc. serious race gear.
                  www.racerwholesale.com - everything racer safety and such
                  www.subesports.com - Cobra and other seats

-MR

Comment

Using a c pillar or a harness bar is the optimal way to mount them...i believe it's when you run them to the floor at an extreme angle that spinal compression can occur.

Either way, I know they're not getting run in my GTI until I have a half cage, harness bar, and proper seats.

Comment

• thank you mranlet, but i have another q. if i buy a 5 or 6 pt harness, but do want to put the crotch belt on except for during comps, can i do that? i.e. run it like 4pt, then on race day throw the 5th pt in

Comment

• I don't see why not. I am almost definate that you should be able to do it with the quick release type. I am not really sure how the others attach to each other though.

Comment

• Yeah - The way my 4-point is designed, I could get an anti-submarine belt for my hook and loop latch that could just hang down when not in use. On the H-type belt like I have, where the right and left sides buckle together in one quick *click*, it is just one more loop for the hook part to slip through.

If you get a racing seat that has a anti-sub hole, most likely it will be placed far enough away from your ...knock sensor... so that it won't cause any discomfort. Generally, the purpose of the anti-submarine belt isn't to act as a scrotum-catcher, but rather to keep you from sliding underneath the lap belts (to "Submarine").

With that rorating cam-type latch, I would imagine that you could get the whole latch to accomodate the 5-point system and just leave off the anti-sub belt for daily driving. I much prefer the hook and loop latch over the cam for a number of reasons, but either system works great.

-MR

Comment

• Dreamer, you should look into a B-pillar harness bar. It will mount directly behind your seats across the car. It will allow the harnesses to be at a safe angle compared to your body. If you don't want to do that, then think about buying a "Cg-Lock " It'll hold you in place but will also retain your factory belts.

Comment

• thanks

wll then, thank god for not crashing and i pray i dont !! well since i already got the harness, i would like to get the harness bar, who sell bolt in ones for s14's?? thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mranlet
                                Yeah - The way my 4-point is designed, I could get an anti-submarine belt for my hook and loop latch that could just hang down when not in use. On the H-type belt like I have, where the right and left sides buckle together in one quick *click*, it is just one more loop for the hook part to slip through.

If you get a racing seat that has a anti-sub hole, most likely it will be placed far enough away from your ...knock sensor... so that it won't cause any discomfort. Generally, the purpose of the anti-submarine belt isn't to act as a scrotum-catcher, but rather to keep you from sliding underneath the lap belts (to "Submarine").

With that rorating cam-type latch, I would imagine that you could get the whole latch to accomodate the 5-point system and just leave off the anti-sub belt for daily driving. I much prefer the hook and loop latch over the cam for a number of reasons, but either system works great.

-MR
                                Is there any major reason why you prefer that system better because it seems like it would be a pain in the butt to me?

Comment

Working...
                                X