No announcement yet.

high reving NA fc vs. a TII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have friends who own a N/A FC and Turbo FC. They both drift the same. If the car was originally a N/A engine i would keep it that way. I would spend the extra that you were going to toss in for a turbo for something more useful in drifting. Like suspension or LSD. Also the N/A FCs last a long time unlike the turbo models. Once you start fixing up your car its hardly streetable.

Comment

yah....i dunno tho...Na and turbo FCs dont really drift the same imo

Comment

they sure dont. the turbo FC is way better. and im pretty sure all the turbo FC's came with lsd. (im rusty with my FC knowledge)

but a NA FC doesnt compare to the turbo FC. and about the power band, its a rotary, even witha turbo theres a nice power band in there.

Comment

I heard that the higher compression rotors on the n/a would not work well with a turbo. I heard that to get more power out of a na engine (aside from exhaust, headers and intake) you should convert it to a carburated engine (i.e. holley), upgrd fuel pump and upgrd the spark plugs. Other than that, the folks at Racing Beat suggest going to a turbo for power over 250 hp.

Honestly, I think the na FC is pretty good to learn on. It enters turns quickly so you can initiate a drift sooner. With a turbo, you're required to keep the turbo spooled up for power and I think that for attacking a large track the power will definitely come in use. So I think you should keep it na and fix up a turbo model if you plan on going pro.

Good luck!
          Last edited by mrjuwono; 06-11-2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Any of the two engines will work fine.

I would go with an N/A 13b given the propensity of turbo rotaries to blow up.

Any of the two will require good amounts of cooling system mods so you dont blow your seals.

Comment

Originally posted by marshun
              they sure dont. the turbo FC is way better. and im pretty sure all the turbo FC's came with lsd. (im rusty with my FC knowledge)

but a NA FC doesnt compare to the turbo FC. and about the power band, its a rotary, even witha turbo theres a nice power band in there.
              Ummm drifting wise it compairs. Some N/A models Came w/ LSD too. I also believe the N/A model is lighter than a T2. I know a carbed N/A is for sure lighter. If you havent driven one or the other how can you say one is better than the other?

Comment

The 12A makes what,135hp? NA rotaries have no torque.If you were to go the route of turbo,your best bet would be a T2 swap.The NA model engine comes with a weaker transmission and doesn't like to have air stuffed down its throat..I'm not sure if a 13B-REW swap has been pulled off in an FC,due to clearence issues,but that would be pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                  The 12A makes what,135hp? NA rotaries have no torque.If you were to go the route of turbo,your best bet would be a T2 swap.The NA model engine comes with a weaker transmission and doesn't like to have air stuffed down its throat..I'm not sure if a 13B-REW swap has been pulled off in an FC,due to clearence issues,but that would be pretty cool.
                  \

NA rotorys have no torque???

errr have you ever drivin one

they have more torque then turbo ones silly

Comment

Originally posted by TP | sil-beer
                    \

NA rotorys have no torque???

errr have you ever drivin one

they have more torque then turbo ones silly
                    It's still not a lot of torque....

Comment

It's still not a lot of torque....
                      Not everythings about torque. If it was every US drifter would be driveing a domestic.

Comment

here ya go, http://www.nopistons.com/forums/inde...howtopic=11528

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
                          Ummm drifting wise it compairs. Some N/A models Came w/ LSD too. I also believe the N/A model is lighter than a T2. I know a carbed N/A is for sure lighter. If you havent driven one or the other how can you say one is better than the other?

who said i havent driven one? i've driven a good amount of FC's trying to teach people. turbo's are definitely better.

and just cause its a carbed NA its lighter?

and there is hardly a weight difference between the NA and the turbo.

and drifting wise yes it does compare. the turbo is rotary is simply better. better power band. it isnt as peaky as the NA.

also about the turbo rotaries blowing up. thats usually after lots of miles. and im sure you know that rotaries dont last as long as piston engines. especially turbos. 60k is the recommended rebuild. and thats with regular driving.

i read allot about the rotaries because at one point i really wanted an FC. but living in hawaii where theres no rotary shops to rebuild the motor i had to look for crate motors and those were just too much cash for me.

Comment

well coming from a friend of mine who has an FC n/a, i know they dont have a whole lot of power. but im sure they can make impressive power with a nice street port, intake, header, exhaust, high rpm bearing, etc.
                            as far as converting to carburator,i dont know. are you talking about individual throttle bodies? if thats possible, thatd be killer. i know its on the 787b but thats a whole other breed.
                            but in the end, you hachiroku guys know you really dont need *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*-loads of power to drift or have fun. light weight makes up for lower power. 180-210 hp from an n/a rotary would be more than enough.

Comment

I agree. It all just comes down to having 4 wheels and an engine. Too many people are still stuck in Crap & The Furious mode and want power for no reason. The only mods for the FD have been to lengthen the life of the motor. Stop looking to put money into engines and save it for suspensions and tires. Just my thoughts, yell at me if you like.

Comment

i have owned many rx7's from a bone stock n/a to a 500hp FD. you can drift an n/a FC but it would be easier to drift a T2 due to more lowend torque. T2's have everything better from the factory but they are more expensive, have more stuff to break, and break more. pick your poison! in the right hands an n/a with full suspension,diff,super now tie rods/ends, could be an AWESOME drift car.... super reliable too

Comment

Working...
                                X