240SX - Buyers Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240SX - Buyers Guide

Hey guys whats up its been some time sence my last post but i needs some help my and my friend or going to look a a 240sx and i need to knw what to look for on those cars i mean i now the typical used car stuff to look for but do you guys know of any things i should look for. or if one of you guys has a buyers gude to that will do thanx for the help

look for any transmission problems, leaks, if it doesn't ride well or any burning smells theres some other stuff but can't remember.

Comment

Listen for noises, if it make a funny noise well then... that just means it could be any one of the dozen noises KA24s make.. welcome to the world of the 240sx.

I really cant think of any specific problem to look for. The timming chain clicking noise.. but thats pretty common. Check to see if any control arms are bent or damaged. sence you want to build a drift car make sure the frame and suspension is all in good shape.

Comment

Yeah best test for frame bending, that I've found, is just to close the doors. If you have to slam 'em, somethings bent. Do this test with the hatch too.

The KA24DE is a pretty stout engine and you shouldn't encounter any big issues. Of course if you've got some crazy plans to turbo charge the little engine, you're going to want to get a low milage one and run low boost, or rebuild it with less compression... and of course watch for rollbacks. If the cars been through 16 owners and has 70K miles on it, go forth cautiously.

Other than that use your gut and heed the advice in the previous posts. Don't let the local snakeoils salesman sell you on something you're sure you don't COMPLETELY WANT!

Just a few thoughts.

Comment

On s13's, look at where the brake line goes into the firewall, if its rusted, the car is shot.

Comment

You can't get that fixed or something?

Comment

You might be able to, but would you buy a car that has rust on it?

Comment

the KA's are cast iron blocks soo its pretty much the cars chasis or suspension where major problems will be at.... a lot of my friends are having major problems on the cars alignment and camber ...always screwin up.. umm make sure the timing is good or else ur in for a lot of money spending....

Comment

aND THE RACK AND PINION

Comment

all of this is excelent advice, but also think what you plan on doing with the car, what you will be replacing, and so forth, and dont get suckered like myself, and pay 2800 for a car that has rod knock........lets say ive learned my lesson

Comment

Ouch thats a royal kick to the junk. However it's not THAT horrible. There are alot of good KA24DE motors sitting out in garages from SR20 swaps so they're relitavley cheap.

The engine nocking on the KA24DE is not a rampant problem (like crankwalk is on those damn 4G63's. grrr 4 DSM's LATER) For the most part if the owner took care of it you won't find that issue. By that I don't mean the owner should have "babied it" but oil changes and prevenitave maintenance go a long ways on import motors.

Comment

also if you want to drift try and get the base model thats with no sunroof or no back windshile wiper and get a 5 speed it sux changin it i just got done when i put the sr in thats all i can say about that

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Logan
                          Yeah best test for frame bending, that I've found, is just to close the doors. If you have to slam 'em, somethings bent. Do this test with the hatch too.
                          I dont mean to debate with you, but I dont think thats entirely true. For example: on my 240 the door was having a hard time closing. This is because the stupid moron(s) that owned the car before me kept leaning on the door (A lot of people do, because there isn't a frame around the window). I'm pretty sure my frame is good, its just hinges on my door that are messed up.

You can generally tell if the frame is messed up without closing the doors though.

Comment

I didn't even think of that... Good call. So the moral of this is if you own a 240sx use the door as a door not a leaning post :P

Comment

make sure it idles correctly. check for oil leaks around valve cover, and crankcase gasket. jack the car up and make sure frame is straight. make sure clutch and brake cylinders aren't leaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X