318i or 318is? better for drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 318i or 318is? better for drift?

well the only diff other then looks is the 318i is 1inch less wide as the 318is and the 318i is also 1inch taller then the 318is. just lookin for some advice for a fun rwd car, no one really messes with the bmw in indiana and i want something diff, seems like a good choice, a engine swap is probually going to happen also, iv done one to almost every car iv owned and the 120hp/tq the 318 has will not be enough. -alex

If you can find an older M3 that would be the hotness!

318's are reportedly grossly underpowered, and for the price of swapping out the motor you could just get the higher model. The M3 is just a faster and better handling of the normal 3-series anyway, right?

-MR

Comment

I'm not sure you realize how much e30 M3's go for. 10k with ease for one in good shape...that, and it would be a crying shame to mess up that widebody trying to learn how to drift in it:

Thing was built to house 10 inch rollers and grip like a maniac. It's a 2.3l four banger that you can wind deep into the 7000's, makes 195 normally aspirated horsepower.

Not really an ideal drift car, nevermind for a beginer.

I've been told that the 318 is sluggish, but it does have the power to get sideways and spin em. That said, I drove a 325is, and I didn't think it was that quick. It was ok, but no rocketship. Based on that I would suffer the extra weight of the 325 and just pony up in the begining. It'll cost you as much to swap it as it would to just buy one up front.

Comment

If he's really thinking about doing a motor swap, especially in a BMW, $5 or 6k for the car plus $7k for the motor swap makes the M3 look like a bargian. Plus, the M3 is totally dope! I'm sure you could buy fiberglass replacement panels if the stock bodywork gets ruined, which it will.

The 318ti has significantly less weight than the regular 318i so it's not as sluggish, but it's still got a long wheelbase for excellent stability.

Any you split it, drifting a BMW is going to cost a lot of money and replacement parts are most likely not in your local scrapyard.

-MR

Comment

Parry- The S14 2.3L made 192hp and 170lb-ft of torque here. It was 195hp in European no-cat versions. Highest power version was the Sport Evolution III, with 238bhp.

Toyosupr- Are you talking about E36 318i versus e30 318iS?
          Power ratings are as follows: 101hp and 108lb-ft., actually for the '84-'85 318i model; 134hp and 127lb-ft for the '91 318i and iS; 138hp and 129lb-ft for the E36 model. The iS denotes a coupe/two-door model. The 1991 318iS with limited slip is rare but well balanced and very chuckable. As someone who drives a '90 325i, I would say that with some 185s out back the 318iS would be fun, although the semi-trailing arm rear coupled with the short wheelbase is not the best drifting platform. An E36 wouldn't be that bad, but the four-cylinder versions of the E36 chassis are underpowered as hell. Think Corolla GT-S slow.

mranlet- You could pick up an e30 318iS for around $3.3k then pay about $750 for a M20b25 (2.5L I6 producing 168hp@5800rpm and 164 lb-ft@4300rpm) motor and transmission. If one were to swap it oneself one would need a cherry picker ($~150) and jacks.
          The 318ti is an E36 which weighs significantly MORE than an e30 318iS, not to mention it is taller. (Although it is the lightest of the E36s) e30s do not have long wheelbases and can be twitchy at the limit. E36s have longer wheelbases and would be more stable, I suppose, but the non-M3 versions are less sporting.

Six-cylinder four-door e30s kick arse at drifting. In the German drifting events, a 325i is usually in the top ten. One year it tied for first at 5.969 seconds for one corner with an Evolution VII. They're pretty cheap to maintain and are friggin' tanks. Take it from someone who rolled his and is still driving it two years later. (Oh, and it'll keep up with RX7s and S2000s up and down Palomar. Or maybe it's just the driver...)

Comment

i was lookin for at a 1993 318i and 318is i might be going with a 325is 1992 rather now since i found one for less then the 318i and 318is,, i guess it weighs 200 more pounds but the 2 extra cyl. makes it less worthy of a new engine. maybe just a small turbo kit, im not lookin for a perfect drift setup but something that i can make handle good, kinda fast and drift on the weekends for fun. the car is 4k and the shock/spring setup is 1.6k so ill be sitting good iv got turbo stuff and can get more like crazy so that wont cost that much. the engine was going to be a 2jz for 4500 or a sr20 for 2000 prob. the sr since its light and will be easier to throw in but with that 2.5 inline 6 in the 325 that might be ok, we'll see how long a engine with 180k lasts hehe.

i was lookin at GM5 8034 Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Over Suspension Kit adjustable ride height and 9 way adjustable shocks. These should work really good for what im after. if not please suggest something else.

i make turbo manifold and custom turbo crap so its all good there, ill have to look into compression and how to play with the fuel but its all pretty easy. -----> my manifolds www.neukin.com

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
              Parry- The S14 2.3L made 192hp and 170lb-ft of torque here. It was 195hp in European no-cat versions. Highest power version was the Sport Evolution III, with 238bhp.
              Yea....cats were made to be punched out hahahaha. Sport Evolution III was 2.5 liter, no?

Think Corolla GT-S slow.
              hah! lol.

Comment

hey one time i got my gts going 80!!!! ><

Comment

Quite right, Parry. What I can't believe is that they had 2.3L qualifying motors that ran up to 11,000rpm.

Toyo- Start with the factory six-cylinder and stick with it. Otherwise you'll have to fabricate engine and transmission mounts, along with a driveshaft. You'll also have to switch to a stand-alone engine management system because neither the SR20DET nor the 2JZ is anywhere near compatible with the BMW's stock Bosch Motronic system. Do some research before you buy the car, it'll save you a lot of headaches. (i.e. did you know that the rear floor tends to buckle if you race the car?)

Comment

the floor will buckle when you drift race or like 1/4 race??

im just looking for a fun rwd car that looks ok for drifting and some power, the 3-series bmw seems nice, but there is also the 92 supra once it goes on a diet. im not real sure what to go for, the bmw still seems like a good choice.

Comment

Wait...I just re-read that. Am I crazy, or was he saying he was going to put a sr20det in an e30?

That's whack.

S50 or S52. There's one down the street from me...e30 with an S50, and it's uber clean and sitting on alpinisimo style rollers. It's amazing.

Comment

that seems like a nice engine 240hp 235 tq i think i seen is that at the engine not at the wheels right.

is there a site where you can look at different BMW engines and then buy one if you want, like a BMW used engine distributor?

Comment

an SR20 in an e30 isn't a nice engine....it's a travesty.

I was only half serious about the S52 thing....that's the later model e36 m3 motor. The european S52 puts down like 320 horse through a 6 speed, normally aspirated 6 cylender. If you really did put one in an e30 it would be a rocketship, but I honestly doubt you have the bank to pull such a feat off.

The US market S50 made like 240 horse I believe, and you might actually be able to find one. You can definately mod for more power, too. Even making less power, that's still a crazy swap.

Comment

whats wrong with a sr20 in a 318? iv seen a few of them and every one thats done it said it was fun and quick.

Comment

Toyo - if this is your work, it is very impressive!

Is this just a hobby or your daily job?

Anyway...

IMO, lightening a car is much more cost-effective and less hastle than doing a motor swap. For as much as you'd spend on a motor and hooking it up to run right you could get oodles of carbon fiber parts and shave off a few hundred pounds for free on top of that!

If you are serious about doing a motor swap, I know that there is a company with a fairly nice site which deals with putting RB25's into E30s and 36's, I just don't know the name...

BTW - are you looking for a daily driver or a track-only car?

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X