AWD Drifting Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWD Drifting Question?

There are many cars I want to get and a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS is one of them. I don't know anything about awd drifting, can you drift awd vehicles? (besides on the dirt). Are 2.5 RS good drift cars?

Re: AWD drifting quetion?

Please review some of the past threads that have covered this topic.

Search Term: "AWD Drifting"
    http://www.drifting.com/forums/search.php?s=

Originally posted by Drifter-ex
    There are many cars I want to get and a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS is one of them. I don't know anything about awd drifting, can you drift awd vehicles? (besides on the dirt). Are 2.5 RS good drift cars?

Comment

trhey are good cars for grip driving, one thing that many ppl dont know is that the jdm tranny for those mofos are seletable transfer case, which allows u to change from awd to rwd or even fwd it is a pretty costy switch over but hell if u wanna drift it u gotta do what u gotta do, otherwise hit it up when its raining or snowing or in the dirt. I am working on getting a 98 2 dr so i know the whole deal and its easy to convert those to turbo

Comment

I have tried looking for awd drifting info,and 2.5 RS info and I couldn't find it.

Comment

its pretty had but most people will tell you that you need alot of horsepower

Comment

Read what Rhys says about 4WD-drifting in this interview.
            http://cars.ign.com/articles/496/496166p2.html

Originally posted by Drifter-ex
            I have tried looking for awd drifting info,and 2.5 RS info and I couldn't find it.

Comment

ive not seen them used very often but 1 guys form team zenith has a GC im looking into one to get some time next year but they hold thier value pritty well here so they arnt cheap

Comment

I've got an '02 Subaru Forester(think wagon version of an Impreza). 4wd is interesting to drift. It's easier to control. Steering is much more straight and drift angles are smaller. The on throttle behavior is more like that of a fwd with a bit of understeer due to front tire spin. You have to change from countersteering to sometimes needing to actually steer into a corner to maintain a drift. Techniques are a little more restircted due to the fact that throttle does affect both front and rear traction. Powerover isn't really possible for example. It kind of is if you use major oversteer and heavy throttle maybe, but you'd still probably tap the brakes or let off the throttle for a half second to induce the drift. E-brake may be your new best friend instead of power over. It is easier to control due to the same 4 wheel power. It's more of just laying on the gas and steering. Throttle control is a little less important, and counter steering isn't as much of an issue although still needed off throttle of if really throwing the rear out.

You'll need tons of power for asphalt. If you want all 4 tires to light up, you'll need STi power. I really only drift on my gravel back roads. It's slower, really saves tires, virtually no traffic/cops, and requires less power for loss of traction. Even with 166hp from the stock 2.5L, it's hard to get all 4 tires to slip, even on gravel and with pretty crappy tires. You need double the power to get all 4 to spin as opposed to just two. That's one big issue.

Drifting in general is fine for 4wd. I don't think it's as showy though. Angles are lower cause the rear end usually won't be way out. You also won't have much countersteer either, will be more around center when under throttle. I live in Minnesota, so 4wd is good for winter traction as well as maintaining my interest in drifting. However, I'm more of a fan of rwd. Sometimes I would even take my once had crappy '88 Ranger over my Forester just to have rwd, sometimes. Rwd is just more fun and, in my mind, controlable, despite being a little harder. The only difficult thing with 4wd is understeer. Learn that throttle can cause understeer and you don't really countersteer and you'll be drifting pretty easy. Switching back to a rwd may be interesting when you have to relearn the countersteering and throttle control again, lol.

Comment

I thought I had posted a response to this topic, where did it go?

Well, just search for my AWD guide. If it's not retreivable I'd be happy to repost it on request.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                  X