Extended braking drift not possible with ABS :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended braking drift not possible with ABS :(

Ok, I was trying this the other night. I was coming into a T intersection and tried coming in fast and braking early, an extiended drift up to the corner. It started out fine and all would be well till...my ABS kicked in and made the tires stop sliding, lol. With how ABS works(wants to keep the tires rolling), I don't think it's possible to brake early and hold a drift. Once the ABS kicks in, she want's to roll and straighten out again. As well, you no longer can vary braking strength, at least you can't increase it. This was just an observation of mine. As a note, yes, e-brake could keep it going, but that wasn't what I was going for, more just controlled braking/countersteering. Feel free to comment or rant about the crappiness of ABS as I do, lol.

Pull the ABS fuse?

That's the only thing I can think of, other than a technique change. (Which you stated you don't want to do.)

Comment

Subaru was kind enough to mess up the way I can disable ABS via fuses, note plural lol. Since I have cruise control, they kindly seperated the ABS into two parts, front and rear, the rear being joined with the cruise control fuse which also was conveniently joined with my fog lights and headlights. Pulling the ABS fuse removes front ABS only. Removing cruise control fuse removes rear ABS only plus cruise control and low and high beams leaving only day time running lights at night as well as parking/braking lights I've posted in a Subaru forum about other methods that can get around this. This post was just more of commenting on the effects of ABS on drifting, lol.

Comment

I wouldn't know... the ABS on my e30 died when I took out the pad wear sensors because they're superfluous and cost $16. Maybe you can circumvent the factory ABS by being quicker than it is. If you need to hit the brakes to continue the drift, then just jab 'em... quick and not quite hard, just firmly. In reality, your brakes should only be used to initiate the drift and enable a nice direction change.

Comment

Yes, that is a possible method, and I thought about it. It just may not be as smooth, and I don't know how much braking time I'd need to give up to keep the ABS from engaging. I'd basically have to pulse the brakes, on hard, off quick, on hard, off quick, ....basically on for only a second then off before ABS turns on.

Also, what I'm doing in particular is more of a continuous braking drift down a straight section into a corner. This can be maintained with continuous braking(until ABS comes on) and steering or by e-brake as well and some intermittent braking. I have yet to try an e-brake normal brake combination. I'm not to big on using e-brake except in certain situations.

Comment

Working...
          X