i have read drifting 101 and have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have read drifting 101 and have a few questions

hi i read drifting 101 and was wondering if any of u know where i can get more info on how to drift a fwd car or of any of u can give me pointers or show me videos what ever u can do i will be gratefull thanks

Re: i have read drifting 101 and have a few questions

Originally posted by zero001
    hi i read drifting 101 and was wondering if any of u know where i can get more info on how to drift a fwd car or of any of u can give me pointers or show me videos what ever u can do i will be gratefull thanks
    FWD doesn't drift very well... I think it's been mentioned several times on these forums.

There are several techniques that you can exploit.

You obviously cannot power-on oversteer right? This is why I say exploit...

I don't know the names, I just learned the techniques by learning the physics behind each one.

1. Sudden braking as you enter a turn. This technique will allow you to throw your weight at your front tires. This will allow your rear wheels to loose traction if you do it correctly. I personally have not been able to sucessfully pull this off smoothly.

2. E-brake. This allows your rear tires to lock up and slide. You really don't want your e-brake locking though so watch out. This technique is painfully slow. From what I understand, it can prevent accidents. I have yet to see it happen in my life though... I'm sticking to FR cars from here on out so I prolly won't ever have to worry about these types of things...

3. I forget what this technique is called... It's where you turn the opposite direction to transfer weight to the opposing side then very quickly throwing the steering wheel the opposite direction... This is a technique that is prolly the most non cheating of all FF drifting techniques... Think bicycle riding... Imagine going into a 45 degree Left turn, you would want to turn your steering wheel to the right to transfer your weight to the left side, then suddenly turn left to make your car's momentum from the weigh shift put you in a slide.

In all these three techniques, you really want to remember to steer to the direction that you are going...

Anyways, FF drifting isn't real drifting... These are three elemetary technies for FF drivers and some of the only ones for FF drifting...

Remember with FF, you want traction up front, and less in the rear.

If you want to practice, I personally recommend empty parking lots after a good rain. Most of these techniques are unpredictable to first timers.

Matt.

Comment

I've got a 3-step technique that is becoming more and more common between f/f drivers, here goes:

1. Sell front drive
      2. Buy rear drive
      3. Drift

=P

Comment

Originally posted by ACDSupra7
        I've got a 3-step technique that is becoming more and more common between f/f drivers, here goes:

1. Sell front drive
        2. Buy rear drive
        3. Drift

=P
        thats the same advice i would give for you, zero001. FWD is no good for drifting. it's gotta be a RWD. get a 240sx to start with brah!

Comment

You can "drift" FWD cars... For FWD, it's all about your mastery of weight transfer...

Matt.

Comment

Try this:

Or just scroll down a little bit.

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by ACDSupra7

1. Sell front drive
              2. Buy rear drive
              3. Drift

=P
              +1

Comment

hahaha word.

Comment

Re: Re: i have read drifting 101 and have a few questions

Originally posted by Craftsman
                  3. I forget what this technique is called... It's where you turn the opposite direction to transfer weight to the opposing side then very quickly throwing the steering wheel the opposite direction... This is a technique that is prolly the most non cheating of all FF drifting techniques... Think bicycle riding... Imagine going into a 45 degree Left turn, you would want to turn your steering wheel to the right to transfer your weight to the left side, then suddenly turn left to make your car's momentum from the weigh shift put you in a slide.
                  If memory (and the drift bible) serve me, its called feint drifting. Ive been using a combination of that and braking with my taurus (yeah, i drift a taurus, deal with it ) just because i think its fun. Who cares if its not *proper* drifiting, its more challenging to do it well and as long as you are being safe and having fun, who cares what you are driving?

Comment

Working...
                  X