FC Drifting Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC Drifting Tips?

I finally found a place to drift in my area and was wondering if anyone who drifts FC's could give me some tips before i start. I know the FC likes to grip so any tips on how to break lose would be appreciated.
    thanks

buy the rear toe eliminators...

Comment

Yep

Comment

when i first started with my FC i would do a little feint with a clutch kick and never had a problem getting her sideway or holding the drift.

Comment

Change the oil often, and make sure you don't overheat.

That's all I got, just get as much seat time as you can.

Do it!

Comment

Your gonna need speed, they love to grip, so make sure u have a pretty good entry speed. Rear toe elims. and of couse coilovers, sway bars, and camber links and ull be set!

Comment

Cool thanks, yea i was thinking i'd probably do the feint plus clutch kick to get sideways, i figured that would work.

Comment

Use the ebrake and get used to slideing around. Also doughnuts will help.

Comment

keep a bottle of coolant around, just in case... also everyone seems to think it's a hard platform to drift on, i seem to do halfway decent with it, oh and i'm sure you know that with that coolant you should keep a quart of oil around

Comment

pratice doing drift 360's clockwise and counterclock wise
                    that will help u learn throttle control. Then pratice some clutch kicks and ebrakes. Start with ebrakes, that will help u learn some weight transfer. Or some manji runs( thats a bunch of feint style drifts in a straight line)

Comment

get good brake pads if you use ebrake a lot, everyone else explained what i was gonna say. stiffen chassis is very beneficial. and if you can, disable the abs(take out) youll learn better not to depend on it and you develop good pedal control

Comment

hmmmmm wow everybody has so many different techniques. the way that i learned is by putting a cup of water in my portable cup holder and set that on the dash board. Works like a charm . and seriously it does. hella hard but works like a charm

Comment

Drift it stock. Thats what I started off with, you need no coilovers or anything expensive unless you lack skill (no offense) I went out in a na at drift day and got it sideways, just clutch kick it or e-brake if your starting off, and btw this was 1st and 2nd gear all day so I didn't need mods to get it sideways, if your really concerned, buy front camber plates and toe eliminators and you'll definetly be able to get sideways, EVEN WITH OPEN DIFF.

-Andrew

Comment

If your jsut learning to drift learning on a stock platform is the best way to go. Softer suspension are much easier to learn on, weight moves around slower and stays there a bit longer- makes it much easier to experiment.. so you can tell when i do this- this is going to happen. etc.

As for toe eliminatxorz- dont bother with em. In my opinion the toe adjusting is one of the many great assets to the fc. It may make it a bit different to learn how to break traction with it still in place, but its not overly difficult and it doesnt really help your drift angle/control etc. Once you learn how to deal with it- its no problem at all. Whats so appealing about it is that the car will still be good for grip- and its great for drifting.
                            __

As for learning how everyone pretty much said the basics- Just get used to being sideways in general. big parking lots are a must for this. Experiment for you even attempt to upgrade anything. A good thing to do is get 2 cones and set them a fair distance apart- treat them as a "turn" and try to drift from one to the other.

I wouldnt do clutch kicking too much unless you hate your transmission- send a good jolt through it and its a godo way to break something. Hand brake is good to learn on- make sure you adjust it after so long or else it wont be working as well. High traction front tires and low traction back tires are great for learning as well. After you feel comfortable try a feint motion with braking- turn away then then hard into the turn, releasing the brakes just after the turn in.

One more thing to keep in mind- this was stated before but ya change your oil often. Make sure you use a good weight too, which kind of depends on your location (ie very hot- very cold). But rotaries eat oil more then piston engines do, they almost over use the oil imo- so keep it clean and fresh.. its only a few bucks anyways.

Comment

Everything above is good, but let's get the very basics. How much seat time do you have in a car? I'm not trying to bust on you in any way, just asking. The first few times you throw the rear end out, your gut instinct is going to scream at you to get it back straight. You need to already be comfortable in your car before you start the sideways motion. Then, as stated before, find a large parking lot and just get sideways. I would also suggest a good seat. Nothing like initiating some drift and ending up on hte e-brake. You need to be stationary to drive right. Also, clean out your car. Nothing like initiating a Drift and getting a coke bottle stuck under the brake pedal while you are headed for a curb. Check your tire pressure as well. Make it a little harder than your everyday setting and watch it as you go. The tire will heat up, expanding the air inside and you don't want to pop it. The less flex you have in the sidewall, the better. These may sound like the most basic of basic, but they are alot of time overlooked.

Then get sideways. Weight transfer is a great way to do that, especially if you have alot of room to work with. Move from there to the E-brake. It also helps me to go with other people, I tend to feed off of them and learn alot more. Also, don't expect to be Captain Choki the first time out. The Donuts are a great way to learn throttle control as someone pointed out but they will eat your tires away like ants on a bone. The hardest part for me, coming from a grip style and background, was the actual getting sideways part. After that, it was just refining it until I could not spin out 90% of the time. I still spin out, I just try now to look good doing it

Comment

Working...
                              X