No announcement yet.

Clutch Kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what cfrost says is right. If its a low powered car then furthermore its difficult to clutch kick. It takes trained left and right foot to excecute the magnitude of a good clutch kick at different angles. Too much rev or too much clutch jolt may result in oversteer.

Handbrake drift is good when you are regulating speed and usually slows down the car lots.

Comment

Actually, don't do a "clutch kick" when you want to initiate a slide, it will wear out your clutch very fast, it's much better to flick the car around with your steering wheel. I mean better as in less damaging to your car. Since no matter what you do, you should really baby your transmission and try to match the rpm when you shift and try not to ever fan or slip the clutch.

Comment

clutch kicking is awesome.
        what are you guys talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          clutch kicking is awesome.
          what are you guys talking about?
          A new clutch kit that has all the plates and buttons is hard to install and expensive.

http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...roductid=18495

Comment

I don't know if you know this already,

but,

this is DRIFTING.

Things are very expensive and things WILL break faster than they would at a car show.

If you're poor, don't bother.

and don't buy junk parts like the one you just linked.

Comment

I understand that autosports are generally expensive

But I think that you want to preserve your car. Properly driven, in any autosport, the only things that should wear out (neglecting body panels and frames) significantly are the contact points of the car.

The tires, the brake pads, and occasionally the shocks and or spring.

In racing series, people save weight by using manual transmissions instead of floppy paddle automatics, the save additional weight by neglecting synchronization, they may or may not damage that depending on the skill of the driver to match the rev of the gears. I have seen this M3 GTR driver who can shift so smooth, you would not hear the spike that normal drivers have. I am not even sure if he used the clutch to shift.

And also, I thought "drifting" was one of the lower budget motorsports.

In any form of driving, you should always be careful with your drive train, and always use the most efficient method to do something.

This kind of reminds me of a conversation with someone I met at an airport. He told me that he drove a z32 with twin turbo, the early 90's model. He said that, for a powerful launch, he would put on the parking brake and slip his clutch to build up boost. What a waste of a clutch.
              Last edited by ; 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Drifting ruins every single part of the car.
                There is nothing positive that comes out of it.

Who are you?

Comment

^ don't mind him BH, hes a lost and lonely little boy.

Atlantian, if everyone drove as conservatively as you describe drifting wouldn't even be fun to watch. Or hell that much fun to even do, I just blew a differential and subsequently my transmission just recently and when I get my new trans and diff in Im gonna be back out there beating the piss out of it. Its only money sure I don't have alot of it but if its going to something I enjoy then I don't mind so much.

Besides that stuff isnt really that hard to install anyways I can pull my trans out and replace the clutch in about 5 hours remove and install taking my time that isnt really that bad its just time consuming.

Also they don't run manuals just because automatics are heavy, they run manuals because a real driver wants to be in total control of his drive train. Not sitting there waiting for the damn thing to up or downshift when you tell it to. Plus torque converters suck in the aspect of the feeling like your throttle imputs are solid and direct that a manual give you.
                  Last edited by Piner; 06-18-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                    ^ don't mind him BH, hes a lost and lonely little boy.

Atlantian, if everyone drove as conservatively as you describe drifting wouldn't even be fun to watch. Or hell that much fun to even do, I just blew a differential and subsequently my transmission just recently and when I get my new trans and diff in Im gonna be back out there beating the piss out of it. Its only money sure I don't have alot of it but if its going to something I enjoy then I don't mind so much.

Besides that stuff isnt really that hard to install anyways I can pull my trans out and replace the clutch in about 5 hours remove and install taking my time that isnt really that bad its just time consuming.

Also they don't run manuals just because automatics are heavy, they run manuals because a real driver wants to be in total control of his drive train. Not sitting there waiting for the damn thing to up or downshift when you tell it to. Plus torque converters suck in the aspect of the feeling like your throttle imputs are solid and direct that a manual give you.
                    I try to drive as conservatively as possible but my friends gave me the nickname "slushman" because I can not concentrate on driving properly after five straight laps or so. And I rent cars when I go to tracks, so I am not sure how much damage I am doing to the cars. And to be honest, I don't really drift.

By the way, some gran touring drivers use automatics, those are the "semi-automatics". Which are double gear box or single gear box automated. The duel gear box is what the new Lan-Evo X currently has. On gear box has odd gearing and the other has even gearing, one is already engaged, but when you pull on the paddle shifters, the second clutch engages, and the other one disengages. No one in any form of auto racing uses torque converters. Some grand prix racing teams, Ferrari to name one, experimented with Continuous Variable Transmission, but that fell out of favor when the computerized, single gear box manual came out.

I think every serious driver uses variations of the traditional parallel prop-shaft gear box with dog clutch gears, with or without synchronizers .

Comment

Well, I guess all that is left to be answered is

Why are you here?

Comment

I am here for the car talk, I started getting interested in cars through drifting, I was a douche and a hard head, I was flamed, I left. Why I am back, long story.

I am part of my friend's forum, which is really empty.(https://www.sentientyouth.com)
                        It's supposed to be intelligent discussions, about philosophies, religion, politics, and modern government issues.

I love the place, but one catch, my friend would not let me add a car section. For the reason that there are not enough people on the forum and there are not enough car enthusiasts, yet. My OTHER friend "Myscrnnm" (Mercedes fan), who is a mutual friend of the forum owner, is a car enthusiast but he was banned because he is a total fanatic about certain brands and will flame anyone who doesn't support the brands he likes.(For instance, if I say that Sony or Mercedes sucks in his presence, I will die).

Basically, I became the only car nut on the forum, other then this fifteen year old called "Timebandit". The forum moves along pretty slowly throughout the day. You guys are welcome there if you can tone down flaming and swearing.

Disclaimer: I am not advertising a rival forum to drag loyal posters away from this forum. Please don't destroy me.

Comment

oh ok, keep it sick bro.

get it all slidewayz

Comment

Thank you, I will. You have fun too.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
                              I try to drive as conservatively as possible but my friends gave me the nickname "slushman" because I can not concentrate on driving properly after five straight laps or so. And I rent cars when I go to tracks, so I am not sure how much damage I am doing to the cars. And to be honest, I don't really drift.

By the way, some gran touring drivers use automatics, those are the "semi-automatics". Which are double gear box or single gear box automated. The duel gear box is what the new Lan-Evo X currently has. On gear box has odd gearing and the other has even gearing, one is already engaged, but when you pull on the paddle shifters, the second clutch engages, and the other one disengages. No one in any form of auto racing uses torque converters. Some grand prix racing teams, Ferrari to name one, experimented with Continuous Variable Transmission, but that fell out of favor when the computerized, single gear box manual came out.

I think every serious driver uses variations of the traditional parallel prop-shaft gear box with dog clutch gears, with or without synchronizers .
                              Those are not Automatic transmissions, they are termed automated Manuals. A Automatic transmission uses fluid pressure to change gear ratios using planetary gear sets and is connected to the engine via a torque converter. There is no direct connection of the engine to the transmission. The torque converter is a fluid turbine.

A automated manual is a Manual transmission with directly meshed gears that has a clutch that is operated by the computer instead of the gear stick. The DSG and SMG and F1 style manual transmissions posses clutches that mate them to the engine making them a true manual with computer control. This is done to speed up upshifts and downshifts and reduce the possiblity of a mis-shift or human error. They can be completely controlled by the driver and will not up shift or downshift unless prompted to by the driver.

Comment

For something without a manual clutch, I presume that it is okay to call the car an Automatic. Because no car is a manual unless you have a manual clutch. I fully understand what you are saying. But in a race with corners especially in an endurance race. A traditional maual with a six shifter is the best. It's simple, reliable, ligher, and you can downshift very fast to a base gear at the end of a high speed slalom.

And on a daily driver, it will be a more simple mechanism, and it will be ligher on your drive train, thus save more petrol. And as a personal preferance, I perfer using a clutch, it feels more gratifying.

Comment

Working...
                                X