No announcement yet.

240sx automatic drift- no hand brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've pulled some nice drifts with my automatic s14 all you need to do is have it in 2nd gear going at a high rpm and then when you are ready to make it slide let the throttle go down and step on it and it should keep you in a good powerband. I've tried doing it on D but it shifts up 2 secs into a slide. 1 i only use when im going slow otherwise it still sucks because it dosent accelerate that fast.

If you use your ebrake your gonna end up blowing your tranny up because if you pull the ebrake and your tranny is still sending power to the back wheels and its going to mess it up unlike manual were you just clutch in before pulling the ebrake then when you put the ebrake back down you put it in gear. The best way i found to use the ebrake is to learn to quickly put it on N and pull the ebrake then put it down and put it in 2. It sounds hard and it is because by the time you put it back in gear you just wasted about 4 secs. It takes practice but you should go to a big parking lot and try some drifting techniques out that you dont have to heavily really on your ebrake or clutch. AT drifts are harder to control so you have to work on your suspension set up if you want to get better results. The only thing is that AT sometimes decides to shift up when it wants to, then realizing its too hard to power through then shift back down, this causes some understeer and if you try it in a street you might just end up hitting something like a curb.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by spinitsidewayz!
      i always thought pulling the ebrake in an auto rwd car was bad..
      pulling the ebrake on a rwd car is ok while drifting if u watch d1 videos u see in mid drift the rear wheels stop spining and thats because the drivers pulling the ebrake some examples are nomura, haruyama, keiichi... all of the d1 drivers do pull the ebrake 2 continue drift.

Comment

Well the manual cars lock better because you can clutch in when you yank handbrake. The auto drivetrain will always stay connected to the engine, meaning the engine will continue to deliver power to the drivetrain. This makes it harder to lock the rears when you yank handbrake.

Comment

what would happen if it was in neutral, pulled the e-brake, then put it back to the previous gear it was in? would that totally screw up the tranny? or would it give that same ebrake action seen on manual?

Comment

should work, but you'll get wear and tear

Comment

Yeah that works, Revlimit used to do that when he was auto. I just say screw the E-brake, who needs it!! hahaha. Nah I'm joking, I wish I had an E-brake that worked good, I cant do any extended slides or anything with my gimp E-brake.

Comment

Tercel,

You said there would be wear and tear, but where would that be?

Comment

for my crown vic (automatic) i always use feint drift because with the weight of my car weight transfer does the job an e-brake would then i just try to sort of "peel out" through the turn

Comment

if you have an auto,do a mix of power over and braking drift.just right before the turn,push on the brakes so that the weight transfer is toward the front,and either yank the ebrake,cause since there is no weight on the back end,very ez to lock it up and slide.or right before the turn push on brakes so the weight transfer happens,then slam on the gas at the same time as turning the wheel in the desired direction,u should slide easily.

Comment

Originally posted by SILFORTY
                      Tercel,

You said there would be wear and tear, but where would that be?
                      the auto tranny isn't designed for popin gears like that, so its going to take a bit of a beating, but then again drifting in general puts wear and tear on the car...overall you'll just wear the trans faster imo.

Comment

If you keep shifting from neutral to gear itll mess up the hydrolics in the tranny. Eventually the gears will slip like crazy and eventually itll just stop shifting out of gears. That happened to this kid in school and to make his car shift he had to go into neutral, rev to redline, and while still on the gas jam it in D. It was bad. lol

Comment

yeah, that's not a smart thing to do. A buddy of mine did it on his old mazda...and it made a mad thumping sound when he revved to the redline and then threw it into drive. I think I might just save up for a manual, or just swap the tranny...which ever is easiest to come by since 240s are getting pricey.

Comment

before my 5sp swap I would come in in 3rd and then faint on the brakes and force the 2nd gear shift and then power through once you get it initiated as long as you keep it in second on most courses if you can connect the course you dont need to initiate again and should be fine on an auto as long as you can initiate on the 1st corner and connect. but if you start to loose it mid drift it kinda sucks since you can kick it again. Use the ebrake!

Comment

Originally posted by ph0xer
                              The only thing is that AT sometimes decides to shift up when it wants to, then realizing its too hard to power through then shift back down, this causes some understeer and if you try it in a street you might just end up hitting something like a curb.
                              Hmmm. Sounds like last week. yeah, dont get cocky and use curbs as obsticals.

Comment

Originally posted by drift180sx
                                pulling the ebrake on a rwd car is ok while drifting if u watch d1 videos u see in mid drift the rear wheels stop spining and thats because the drivers pulling the ebrake some examples are nomura, haruyama, keiichi... all of the d1 drivers do pull the ebrake 2 continue drift.
                                he said pulling the e brake in an automatic rwd car

Comment

Working...
                                X