No announcement yet.

Midwest Drift Group Needs Your Support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Drift Group Needs Your Support!

My fellow enthusiasts.

With organizations like Drift Day and Formula Drift on the rise, it has come to the attention of Ohio's competitive drifters that an organized drift club is a necessity in our area. With this in mind, I have devised plans that will set into motion the formation of an active drift club based out of Northern Ohio serving midwestern interests.

We are set to approach the management of Sandusky Speedway and Mansfield Motorsports Speedway to arrange (at first) organized practice days which will evolve into amateur competition. Not to be premature, but there is also talk of local businesses as potential sponsors.

However, before anything can properly occur, what's needed is an outpouring of support from the Midwestern community. Event procedure, safety and modification rulebook, and further idiosyncracies are still free-form.

If you've ever felt a drifting group hasn't served your needs, met your expectations, or has failed to bring you to the level you aspire to, then please join in on the ground floor of our organization. Through hard work, acceptance and goodwill towards other racing disciplines, and good faith, we can use the motorsports resources of Ohio to make the Midwest the center of drifting in the Nation.

Please, contact me either through e-mail or Private Message here at drifting.com to find out how we will make this dream a pure reality. We have little time to act as organization representatives will be making our case to Sandusky Speedway owner and promoter Kevin Jaycox at the traditional Hangover Race, January 1st at Sandusky Speedway.

I'm posting this thread on a few more sites to get more attention,
    but take note:

This isn't just for Ohio, both tracks are moderately close to neighboring states Pennslyvania and Michigan. Alot of people in our area could benefit from this.

Comment

U got my support from Toledo.

We need a good car club around here!

Comment

what are u waiting for, just set up some events, people will show

Comment

What we're waiting for is a track that we can regularly and safely practice and compete at.

And Mr. Kevin Jaycox, owner and promoter of Sandusky Speedway, has agreed to meet with us in the new year. I have a personal e-mail from him guaranteeing us a conference.

With a successful deal with Sandusky Speedway, we'll be able to lay the groundwork of a competitive and respectable organization. The focus is competitive track drifting. It is my intention to make Midwestern drifters more palatable to professional teams and sponsors.

Comment

thats fine and dandy but remember u dont speak on behalf of the entire midwest. and there is already a branch of us drift out in Ohio

Comment

Reckless, we're not trying to steal anyones thunder here.
              There just not alot support in our area. There's been big events
              all around us, Chicago, Miichigan, and even Indiana and Pennsylvania. We're not even looking to be that big, we want a place to practice legaly, more than once a month. I'm sure we don't speak for everyone, but there are people who could agree with that.

Comment

Reckless, I don't think they are trying to steal sand out of your sandbox. Maybe since you already have something going (if you do) then you could give em a hand. Thats what the sport needs, not bickering.

Comment

Soultron is very right. The larger drifting organizations by and large have seemingly skipped over Ohio - a great injustice considering Ohio is home to not only one of the greatest numbers of race tracks, but also home to many MANY of the nation's racing organizations including IHRA and ASA - and we want to set that right.

Through our group we want to give drivers from Ohio, and from neighboring Midwestern states as well, a chance to prove that drifting is alive in the midwest as more than marketing. Our first phase is regular practice at a fixed circuit as well as club meetings in order to assist members in tuning, finding sponsors, and getting more involved with the sport.

After we've accomplished that, we hope to make competitive amateur drifting events part of the regular season schedule at Sandusky Speedway, as well as begin circulating our practices to other available facilities that are not currently viable (although should the Sandusky deal go smoothly, it can almost be guaranteed that Mansfield Motorsports Speedway could be persuaded, and they have a flat 1/4 oval with figure eight crossover built into the center of their track).

Ultimately, if things go smoothly and enough support is found, it is our hope that Formula Drift will put an Ohio event on the calender at one of the tracks we hopefully will frequent and our midwestern drivers will be able to compete and gain exposure.

I wholeheartedly believe in our vision of drifting acting in harmony with an established motorsports base (like we have in Ohio) in order to grow, expand, and unify. The Irwindale partnership has grown drifting exponentially, and should be a blueprint for the continued growth of our sport. The only trick is finding the next Irwindale, and upon my faith the next Irwindale is in Ohio and may very well be Sandusky Speedway.

Comment

How far are you guys from michigan i live in the flint area.

Comment

hey kevlar, thanks for checking in, most of us who are trying for the sandusky thing are from north east ohio in the cleveland area, but sandusky is real close to you it's pretty much on the lake and right in the northwest corner so it probably wouldn't be too bad a drive for you

Comment

For those interested there is a schedule posted on Ohio's Outbrake Motorsports site. They are based in the Cincinnati area.
                        - http://outbrakemotorsports.com
                        check 2005 schedule, looks ok, worth a try I'd say.

Comment

I dont think Reckless was saying that you were stealing thunder, just letting you know there is a group already there. Good luck to you, hopefully some of us Chicagoans will be able to come down to some events, and vice versa.

Are you guys working with Go Drift? Or just have your own insurance?

Comment

Drift Meet

I'm probably the only person from central IL interested. Hit me up sometime: matthewchapman@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X