• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by SSmith View Post
    D1 > FD

Only 2 FD events out of the many that I've attended were exciting: Vegas and RBWC. Pretty much you always know the judges will most likely pick either:
    Millen, Sam, Foust, Dai, Forsberg. I would too if I were a judge because of the huge gap in skills between the top 8 drivers and the rest. It's like judging a dunk contest between a guy who can do a windmill 360 vs a guy who can barely dunk.

D1 is more fun to watch because the skill level is pretty much even from top to bottom. Watching D1 you really don't mind if the same drivers win but you always know that you'll be at the edge of the seat throughout the entire event.

At the RBWC, only 2 or 3 tandem runs were worth cheering for and a couple of them involving Ueo! The only other one was between Dai and Rhys. Even during the solo run, only a couple of runs were exciting because of how close the cars were to the wall.

D1 is more exciting from start to finish, I think FD is getting there once the skill levels start to even out. Good luck D1, as a fan, I'll definitely go to your events. Good luck also FD, I think you've done great things for drifting and I'll still attend your events only to watch the top 16.
    You mean...you weren't excited when the Emergency Hooker was dispatched out?

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by 5150 Cruiser View Post
    I'd have to disagree with you about the diversity of the cars in FD. The cars in FD are WAY more diverse than anything in D1. With D1 its mainly S15's and AE86's. FD has Vipers, Solstic, GTO, mustang, V8 powered 350Z's, etc. As far as what looks better, i guess thats just personal preferance, but FD cars look better IMO.
    ...so you're saying that FD brings in corporate sponsored entries? I guess the team with the most money wins in the end. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• 5150 Cruiser
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
    I really enjoy FD, however, I still think D1 > FD.
    To me D1 just more fun, cars are cooler, judging is not ridiculously wrong, fan service will always beat FD, and entertainment/organization was always great. FD's always so focused on competition and the ugly *Censored**Censored**Censored* cars just get boring after a while.

I'd have to disagree with you about the diversity of the cars in FD. The cars in FD are WAY more diverse than anything in D1. With D1 its mainly S15's and AE86's. FD has Vipers, Solstic, GTO, mustang, V8 powered 350Z's, etc. As far as what looks better, i guess thats just personal preferance, but FD cars look better IMO.

Leave a comment:

• SSmith
    replied
    D1 > FD

Only 2 FD events out of the many that I've attended were exciting: Vegas and RBWC. Pretty much you always know the judges will most likely pick either:
    Millen, Sam, Foust, Dai, Forsberg. I would too if I were a judge because of the huge gap in skills between the top 8 drivers and the rest. It's like judging a dunk contest between a guy who can do a windmill 360 vs a guy who can barely dunk.

D1 is more fun to watch because the skill level is pretty much even from top to bottom. Watching D1 you really don't mind if the same drivers win but you always know that you'll be at the edge of the seat throughout the entire event.

At the RBWC, only 2 or 3 tandem runs were worth cheering for and a couple of them involving Ueo! The only other one was between Dai and Rhys. Even during the solo run, only a couple of runs were exciting because of how close the cars were to the wall.

D1 is more exciting from start to finish, I think FD is getting there once the skill levels start to even out. Good luck D1, as a fan, I'll definitely go to your events. Good luck also FD, I think you've done great things for drifting and I'll still attend your events only to watch the top 16.

Leave a comment:

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    Holy crap you guys type a lot. Summarize people, please.

And for all of the people that only care about who 'wins' and how people are going to be judged, you don't understand drifting. Drifting is fun, drifting is an exhibition. Drifting is not about winning so if that's all you care about, watch F1, not D1.

Leave a comment:

• Lord_EJR
    replied
    Just keep working with MSC. Orido, Taniguchi, Kazama, + now Miki are the cool guys anyway. I love D1 but seriously, too much drama between you guys. It seems a true D1 vs FD is only a dream that drift fans wont ever be able to see.

I really enjoy FD, however, I still think D1 > FD.
    To me D1 just more fun, cars are cooler, judging is not ridiculously wrong, fan service will always beat FD, and entertainment/organization was always great. FD's always so focused on competition and the ugly *Censored**Censored**Censored* cars just get boring after a while.

FD is doing great tho. I always applaud them for working hard to keep promoting the drifting scene in the states.
    Last edited by Lord_EJR; 12-24-2008, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• courantcom
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian View Post
    As much as I don't like Rhys Millen, he did a god damn great job. He almost always does. He bitches about almost everything it seems, but at the end of the day, he drives like a machine.
    I hate when people say he won simply because it was a Red Bull event.
    Millen runs a professional camp, and I like that. His rig is always clean and presentable, and he does a good job in making sure he puts his sponsors in front of public view every chance he gets.

As far as the competition goes...so I guess it must have been some other car practicing at the course earlier that week before anyone else got a chance to. ;-) Additional practice time over other competitors may or may not be viewed to be very fair.

Did Mad Mike come in 2nd? 3rd? nope.
    Nah, that would have been too OBVIOUS! ;-)

The rest of the stuff, screw it.

Drifting is sliding a car around.

You bring money hungry people into it and this is what happens.

ALL STAR BASH OR BUST.
    ASB said they didn't need a Hooker. =( I was saddened. Merry Christmas though!

Leave a comment:

• 5150 Cruiser
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokeemup View Post
    Id did hear FD say that they wanted to organize an event to go head to head with D1 drivers and that FD would fund or co-fund with D1. Am I hearing a challenge? I personally would love to see that happen. BTW, I am going to start taking bets guys and I got D1 on this one.

I'd take that bet. FD drivers have more than proven that they can hand with D1 drivers. Personally, (hold on, let me put on my flame suit) for the most part, i don't see a seperation any more.

Leave a comment:

• Piner
    replied
    I seriously doubt you will see many of the current crop of FD drivers doing D1 events over FD's especially not the guys running in the top 10 in points soo whats gonna happen is D1 is gonna bring their top 8 or so and the American drivers that will show up are probably gonna be prior nopi drivers who no longer have a series to run in and the D1 drivers will mop the floor with them. Soo it will continue to perpetuate the japanese superiority complex over this.

Now the other way around there are several D1 drivers who crossed over and were running in FD, and yet even more that would like to.

Overall I don't think D1 really understands how to conduct buisness over on this side of the pond and is going to have a rough time pulling off what they have planned. That's not gonna stop me from going to one of their events but lets just say I wont be surprised when I find out that they have been canceled. FD's record in that regard has been spotless

Leave a comment:

• olddrifter
    replied
    This is getting to much like EGO's taking and no facts.
    I love D1 and hope they to well, but there track record here is bad and left many teams high and dry in 07 and 08 when schedules were cx at last minute after sponsors we told teams were making events that did not happen. D1 was the goal that all driver strived for, but there trouble in Europe and USA has dimed the star. FD has shown their ability to schedule and keep events going year after year. Let's stop acting like kids in the sand box and prove what we can do, if you do that, then all this really doesn't matter...P.S. WORLD DRIFT held the first indoor event with a custom made track several years ago
    Last edited by olddrifter; 12-24-2008, 08:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J.Herron
    replied
    I'd say comparing FD to D1 shouldn't even be mentioned. They are two separate organizations, which in my opinion FD has clearly done better by miles.

I hear all sorts of accusations about D1 with it being "staged" and after seeing certain calls, I'd say some of them are fairly apparent.

Is anyone forgetting the buzz about when JR won the first D1 Allstars event? All I heard from everyone was the threats from D1 to their drivers about loosing to an American driver. Whether or not this is true, I can't really say. But have we heard any sort of rumors with FD on this sort of an issue?

Absolutely not.

Bottom line is, FD is great at what they do. They've been holding consistent events in the US for the past 5 years and have even branched off into other countries for exhibition events. To flat out say they have been copying D1 is obviously a poor attempt to shed negativity over them.

And it obviously means something when international drivers are showing a huge interest in driving in FD. How many of these drivers do you see showing interest towards D1?

not that many.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    I think people need to understand that America and Japan are totally different in the fundamental way of thinking.

individualistic vs. collective.

That explains most everything about this whole *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing industry if you think about it.

ZIPTIED ALL STAR BASH
    July 25/26

Leave a comment:

• Justin Banner
    replied
    And think about the lack of TV coverage he got. Should have gotten more, especially for how wild that 4-rotor sounds.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    As much as I don't like Rhys Millen, he did a god damn great job. He almost always does. He bitches about almost everything it seems, but at the end of the day, he drives like a machine.
    I hate when people say he won simply because it was a Red Bull event.

The rest of the stuff, screw it.

Drifting is sliding a car around.

You bring money hungry people into it and this is what happens.

ALL STAR BASH OR BUST.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X