Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Showoff - Houston 4/10/04

Live and Direct from Japan!
    Mainstream Productions and On the Scene Video Magazine in association with Drift Association and Daily Drifter presents the Falken Tire Drift Showoff at Gulf Greyhound Park in Houston, TX. This event is designed to showcase the sport of Drifting to fans across the US and take the sports compact generation to the next level.

Gulf Greyhound Park
    One block west of 1-45 south at Exit 15, 30 miles south
    of Houston and 15 miles north of Galveston in La Marque, Texas

Event Details

Venue: Gulf Greyhound Park
    Date: April 10, 2004
    Time: 11am - 6pm
    Ticket: $15
    Pre-Sale Ticket: $12
    Pro Exhibition: Team Falken
    More TBA...
    Drift Clinic: $100 - Advanced/Intermediate Drift Clinic and Competition
    Car Show: $50 - SHOWOFF Carshow

Area 1: SHOWOFF Carshow
    The infamous Showoff Car Show hits Texas…. You heard and read about it, now become a part of history to be in the first and original car show to hit the scene! Featuring Texas' finest Teams, Japan Spec, US Spec and Euro Class tuned automobiles to hit the Showoff Competition Arena. Plus,the extensive Manufacturer and Vendor alley. ...Full Details

Area 2: Drift Exhibition
    All day drift exhibition with pros getting sideways at over 100mph!!! Come check out side by side drifting action in this exciting display of speed, style and car control featuring the cars and drivers from Falken Tire.

Area 3: Drift Clinic and Competition
    This event will cater to intermediate and advanced drivers who have basic knowledge of car control/drifting and want to learn about advance drifting techniques and get the necessary seat time to be competitive in local, regional and national competitions.

Course will be designed to accommodate high speed as well as low-speed sections for isolated approach practices and side braking zone. A Skid pad and J-Turn areas will also be provided for testing and evaluations.

The participants of this event will be divided into groups. Each group will have in-seat driving time and also time outside assisting and observing driver groups with instructors. There will also be a classroom type Q&A briefing session to mentally boost your skills for the following driving sessions throughout the day. Each group will receive equal driving and course observation sessions.
    All drivers must pass Tech Inspection

Drivers in the drifting clinic will battle it out for the top 3 spots and earn the right to drift against the Japanese pros in the final jam session.

1st place
    $500 Cash
    Set of Falken Azenis Tires
    Bomex body kit
    Trophy

2nd place
    $250 Cash
    Rotora Carbon Fiber Wing
    Trophy 3rd place
    Trophy
    Consolation Prize

All clinic participants will receive a gift bag and automatically entered into a raffle to ride along with the Falken Tire Pros.

>> Register for the Drift Event <<
    7:00am Car show, vendor, drift clinic participants move-in
    8:00am Drivers meeting
    8:30am Autograph sessions and Pro driver introductions for drift clinic participants ONLY
    8:30am-4:00pm Drift clinic sessions
    10:00am Gates open to the public
    11:00am Car show judging begins
    11:00am Pro Exhibition begins (this will occur periodically throughout the day)
    12:00pm Pro Driver meet and greet and autograph session
    3:45pm Main Event sessions begins
    5:00pm Awards Ceremony
    5:30pm Closing Ceremonies
    Last edited by raemi; 02-29-2004, 10:54 PM.

I'm an idiot, if anyone read my previous post, ignore it.

So, there's the Drift Showoff Drift Clinic on the 10th, and that's for Intermediates and Advanced drivers only... and then there's a local thing, Grind 101, that's on the 11th, and that's for everyone. Right?

Man, it sucks to be a beginner.

- Nathan
    Last edited by Hardluck; 03-05-2004, 04:41 PM.

Comment

April 11 is for all driver's. It is actually a joint venture with Daily Drifter and Drift Association LLC. We are coming out to Texas to introduce the very first Drift Day in Texas. Here are the two cars we are planning to bring to the event.

Hirro

Taka

Thanks,

Naoki
      Drift Association LLC.
      www.driftday.com

Comment

Well, who's to judge what an intermediate/advanced driver is? Theoretically if I had the $100 for the Clinic, they couldn't really turn me away now, could they?

Maybe I'm just not really understanding this. What's the dividing line between the rookies who should only hit the pavement on the 11th, and the intermediates who should show up, recieve instruction and compete on the 10th?!

- Nathan

Comment

Let me try and clarify the two events.

Saturday, Drift Showoff is not a clinic as it is a competition. If a driver were to attend Saturday's event, it is to mainly win first place and get "tips" to improve as a competitor.

Sunday's Drift Day/Grind 101 is purely to improve your skill as a driver and have a good time. There is no competition on Sunday and it is open to everyone to attend.

Which one you choose depends on how comfortable you feel as a driver. Some people like the idea of competing and getting judged while others would like to drive and have a good time.

I hope this clarifies a few things.

Naoki

Comment

Okay, thank you, that's pretty helpful, but.

(taken from the DriftShowoff website)

Area 3: Drift Clinic and Competition
            This event will cater to intermediate and advanced drivers who have basic knowledge of car control/drifting and want to learn about advance drifting techniques and get the necessary seat time to be competitive in local, regional and national competitions.

Course will be designed to accommodate high speed as well as low-speed sections for isolated approach practices and side braking zone. A Skid pad and J-Turn areas will also be provided for testing and evaluations.

The participants of this event will be divided into groups. Each group will have in-seat driving time and also time outside assisting and observing driver groups with instructors. There will also be a classroom type Q&A briefing session to mentally boost your skills for the following driving sessions throughout the day. Each group will receive equal driving and course observation sessions.
            All drivers must pass Tech Inspection

Drivers in the drifting clinic will battle it out for the top 3 spots and earn the right to drift against the Japanese pros in the final jam session.

1st place
            $500 Cash
            Set of Falken Azenis Tires
            Bomex body kit
            Trophy

2nd place
            $250 Cash
            Rotora Carbon Fiber Wing
            Trophy

3rd place
            Trophy
            Consolation Prize

All clinic participants will receive a gift bag and automatically entered into a raffle to ride along with the Falken Tire Pros.

-----

It clearly says that there are instructional sessions. I take it this isn't for newbies that don't know their feint from faint and think that e-braking involves the internet in some way. I also take it that the instruction is geared more towards those who are confident enough in their skills to compete anyway. Whereas the more timid, unsure drifters should just watch from afar and hit the track on Drift Day.

Right?

Comment

Hardluck,

You are right. However, I do not want anyone to misundestand what Drift Day is. I don't think Rhys Millen is unsure of his drifting abilites, yet he has asked us if he could attend our events.

Our program is available for everyone. It is not just a clinic but more like a friendly atmosphere of drifters having a good time. Of course all paid drivers can use our instructors if you like, but it is really up to the individual.

Naoki

Comment

Rhys Millen is going to compete on the 10th???

Comment

Wow, that's stiff competition. I guess he falls in the 'advanced' bracket, eh?

I hope you 'intermediates' don't mind battling it out with a professionally sponsored, rally-trained D1 driver. Granted, what was spent on his suspension could probably buy the cars of everyone else in the 'clinic', but hey, he's just like us, right?
                  Gee, I wonder if he'll be attending the Q&A classroom session...

Just thought I'd wax cynical for a moment. Bah, I'm just kidding around anyway, I'm just mad that I can't be there! Have fun guys!

Invite Benson Hsu!
                  - Nathan

Comment

Working...
                  X