Cannonball Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannonball Run?

hey, anyone gotten any word of another cannonball run starting? and I don't mean that one lap of america BS. I mean one way from LA to NY as fast as you can. I would like to compete in one later in life. I am just looking at info right now. if no one will get one organized in the next 7 years or so, if I have money that is, I will organize one myself by message boards and ear. it will be like an underground thing like the first one.

rock.

Gumball 3000 yeah. Entrance fee is $8,000. Knock yourself out.

Comment

plus any tickets u incurrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by ACDSupra7
        Gumball 3000 yeah. Entrance fee is $8,000. Knock yourself out.

yea, except I said Cannonball Run, not Gumball Rally. I know what both are and both are two diffrent races. like SCCA and NASA.

rock.

Comment

Actually the Cannonball was called the Sea to shingin sea memorial trophy dash. It was put on by Brock Yates. It used to be an all out free for all across the US. the record still stands at like 32 hours and something I think.

Good luck putting one on. Not to shoot down your dreams or anything but I somehow don't think that a bunch of 240's running across country will excite anyone except maybe the people here. The kinds of people that run that kind of race gots the money. They gots the kind of jack it takes to make things happen. Take for instance Kim Schmitz. He ran the Gumball the last 2 years and won it. He used to be a weel known hacker and went legit. He blew a wheel, called Brabus, had one put an a lear and flown out to him at a checkpoint. THAT'S some jack man. Thats what you need to run a race like that. You ain't gonna run it with no 1000 bucks in your pocket at the start.

Here's some photos. If you don't think they push it in the Gumball then you are mistaken.

car 1

car 3 days later

more of same car

driver of same car, oops.

nother car.
          more of same car

truck that car caused to flip over. Nasty.

Nice Viper, not a VCC but a street legal one.

same Viper, DEF not street legal now.

Kims car being delivered.

Kims car after being smashed to bits.

Kim after being smashed to bits.

He had a back up car, these are not regular Mercedes mind you, they are Brabus Mercedes that have been converted into Megacars. www.megacar.com. They are not cheap. Here's an interior photo.
          Attached Files

Comment

i like the idea of a bunch of drift cars dashing cross country lol...

You know thats some serious cash and stuff.. but man theres something Romantic about an illegal race across country.

Comment

actually man it was to be called the "Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash" but Brock Yates took "baker" off of the name fro some reason. the reason why they call it a trophy dash is because a trophy dash is usually more of a sprint consisting of the top 4-5 drivers that night and it lasts about 5 laps. it was just an ironic play on words since this race crosses the whole country.

. it was named after Erwin George "Cannonball" Baker(1882-1960). the reason for is because his greatest recod setting drive came in 1933 when he drove solo across the nation in his Grahm-Page Model 57 Blue Streak 8, and he only had about a half-hours worth of sleep the whole time. just think doing that with the old vintage two-lane roads(many of them were not even paved).

anyway, Erwin Baker set 143 distance records before his death in 1960 and his name was an obvious choice when it came to name the race.

I know a bit about the Cannonball run, I just call it that rather than typing out the whole name. and yes gumball cars do push it hard and sometimes even too hard. so kudos to those drivers.

hey nissanguy_24, you hit it right on the head when you said "but man theres something Romantic about an illegal race across country". what makes the Cannonball the Cannonball, is that there is no money or cash prize. all you get is just bragging rights and fond memories. that is what makes it so great, it won't have people competeting that usually compete in races to win money, it will contain the true car fanatics that could care more about the race itself and everything that comes with it than what finishing position they got or how much money they won.

it just cuts out all the fat and since there is no money prize, the entry fee is cheap(or at least thats the way it used to be). to me, it's a bit more noble than the gumball(still a good race, but it pretty much open to people with money already). but I'm not saying I am going to enter only races without a cash prize, cause I could use some help in that department(on the account that I play bass and I'm into cars *doubly expensive*). I would just like to enter the famed Cannonball just for shits and giggles pretty much, and as I said earlier, memories.

oh and the overall fastest time for the all of the "Cannonball.....trophy dash" races is 32:51:000 by Dave Heinz(driver) and Dave Yarborough(co-driver) in a 1978 Jaguar XJS in the year 1979. that is just a carzy time considering that is counting all the fuel stops/rest stops/sleep. just amazing.

rock.

p.s. check out the book "Cannonball!: World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" written by Brock Yates himself.

Comment

To make that time they would have to average just shy of 86 miles an hour. Advoid the Cities, Fast, Bring water, and stop only to take a piss and change drivers. And dont get pulled over.

That is taking the 2868 mile trip that yahoo maps sugest. Though i'd plan my trip around roads with no speed limit best you could.

Comment

that is what happened. the average break stops only last about 2 min. that time was published in the book written by Borck Yates himself, so I don't think he would lie.

rock.

Comment

SO what, do they fill up behind tanker trucks like in-flight refuelling?

-MR

Comment

There is an actual cannonball run, beside the Gumball, that's put on by George Barris of BK Automotive. Last time it was run (2-3 years ago) was a $1000 entry and $10,000 pot for 1st place. No prize for second place.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                        i like the idea of a bunch of drift cars dashing cross country lol...

honestly how many drift cars do you think could actually make it across the country without breaking? LOL

Comment

^ lol. oh and V8bosozoku, I haven't heard of the latest Cannonball Run. hmm, still need money to compete. if I stat one up, ther is goong be a $40 charge to enter and no cash prize to win, probably a trophy and a plaque. and they just refuel like everyone else does, at a gas station.

rock.

Comment

anyone remember the movie cannonball run? jackie chan kicks
                            a s s!

anyone else notice that jackie chan only uses mitsubishi in his movies? like who am i? that lancer evo was sick.
                            anyways, if you DO set it up, count me in.. you can call it
                            "canyonball run"
                            Last edited by PooPooBrown240; 06-19-2004, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I bet u just saw the "Teckademics" video huh?? j/k. Those kinda races man are serious old people who have cash to burn. Those cats roll in Ferraries, vipers, porsches and such. Beleive me no 240 will be able to hack it with the big boys. Im not ragging ur car, shoot i have a lil miata thats slower then a 240. But im just saying that if u cruse down there with one, it will be hard to be at the top 5. Dont get me wrong bro it will be fun, but i think we all in this Forum (not speaking for anyone) would get smoked man. I know i will.
                              P.S. The only car that i think could hang with those cats would be a FD. Thats my opinion though. Not too sure if it would hack it.

Comment

Working...
                              X