Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guess who flipped his s13 7 days after he bought it

it's so sad..

i was coming back from my music lesson, it started raining pretty hard, and i was doing 65-70 when i hit that puddle, and all four of my wheels lost traction and i spun into the ivy stuff on the side of the highway.

insurance wont pay for it

there goes 4k

i walked off without a scratch though.

anyway did this ever happen to anyone? I tried to countersteer but i literally felt no control over the car... no steer/brake

they say it's "repairable" because the engine runs but the body is totally crushed every which way... it landed on the roof but the side windows were unharmed

that's my little tragedy... i feel so stupid. heh maybe it ought to go in noob's section. at least i didn't hit anybody else hehe

rwd+wet+freeway speeds+new driver=disaster...

hm first off i think 4k for an s13 is kinda pricey.. and uhh repairable is the opposite of your situation.. good body no engine..

welcome to the boards, you just got owned... well twice, 1)buying a pos 10+ year old car for 4k 2)driving faster then you shouldve in the rain, luckily you didnt hurt anyone.

hopefully you'll learn from this.

Comment

It happens man... Wish you the best of luck dealing with Insurance. Do you have full coverage? If you do and they don't want to cover the cost, get a lawyer. That always seems to work

Wish you the best, keep us updated man.

Comment

That sucks completly man. It sucks even more that your insurance wont cover it! I dont want to be nosey but what kinda insurance do you have? Why wont it cover it, those bastards just want money thats all. Sigh, well I hope the best for you!

Comment

welcome to the boards, you just got owned... well twice, 1)buying a pos 10+ year old car for 4k 2)driving faster then you shouldve in the rain, luckily you didnt hurt anyone.
          Why dont you lighten up a little. No need for any of that crap.

Comment

Sorry man, another 240 casualty. Glad your ok though.

I've spun out in the rain before, the day after I installed my LSD, but I recovered and didnt do any damage.

Yeah and spinitsidewayz give the guy a break he's been through enough.
            Last edited by jaydm180sx; 11-11-2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

yank all the good stuff off of it and find yourself and clean broke down shell and swap everything over to it. cheer up this s a great excuse to start a brand new project.

Comment

spinitsidewayz!: First off, take it easy on that guy man. He just lost his car. So give him a break.

rwd+wet+freeway speeds+new driver=disaster...
                I don't see why "RWD" is in the equation of disaster. It does not matter what the drivetrain lay out is if you don't know how to drive it. FWD is just as bad, even worse, when it understeers and you have relatively less control of it compared to a RWD. But sounds like you have a RWD-phobia. Don't be afraid of RWD, learn to drive it!
                Last edited by Hubert Young; 11-11-2004, 11:23 AM.
                Hubert Young
                KORE 8 Films

Comment

well its good to hear that you're ok. car are replaceable, lives aren't. look of another shell and you should be set.

Comment

I have the same luck with cars but it is 14 days... Rx-7 rear ended, totaled - 14th day, sr5 corolla, engine pop - 14th day... My 240 is the only car that made it past the 14th day. When you get that phone call that say "14 days" in a raspy voice just after you bought a car. Sell it quick.

Comment

i don't necessarily think it's your fault in this case.. i mean normally i'd say "har har you = stupid" but in this case, i'm guessing you were hydroplaning.. and for those of us that live in the midwest or in areas that it rains hard all the time and snows all the time, we know that when you start hydroplaning, it's a lot like driving on ice.. you can't stop, you can't slow down, and you have absolutely NO control of the car.. sorry man, that sucks.. there's just nothing you could have done

Comment

Be more careful, and slow down a lil in the rain I always drive super slow in the rain it scares me haha esp in the fall like right now with leaves on the road too scarey!

Comment

spinitsidewayz! : i bought the car itself for 2.8k but the towing people decided to charge me a total of 600+... and my dad went and got new tires about two days before because he thought it was unsafe to drive in those old tires (lol unsafe xD)
                          so it added to roughly around 4k

my insurance is State farm... they wont insure me because it takes two--TWO weeks for them to approve my car to apply for insurance and i couldnt name a witness. oh well... i'd rather not have that record anyway so that my NEW insurance co wouldnt charge me more for it. hehe

well i managed to pull some strings and my friend's dealership where i bought it from agreed to sell me an identical one-- except with more milage-- for 1.5k. i just have to give em my wrecked car its sorta far away though... that's where the towing charges became 600+ as mentioned above

well thanks everyone. i think its a lot easier to buy this new one instead of fixing it myself although i could imagine it would be a lot cheaper. i kinda wanna let go and start over. im glad i'm okay but it still pisses me off every time i think about it

Comment

yes i was a little stiff. but driving on a public road at an unsafe speed.. im not gonna ramble too much but once it starts raining in san diego you can expect freeway accidents to be around 200+ maybe even 300+. why? because people in sd dont experience rain (maybe a couple times in a year...) and yet most drive like its everyday.

with any car control will be greatly affected by rain.. but accelerating out of a turn i dont think most drivers would be prepared to catch the car if it oversteered vs. understeered but generally i think most drivers get into accidents driving too fast and spinning or braking too hard? its driving too fast that gets most.. yet fwd is more stable at lower speeds then rwd in low traction situations and understeer is much easier to correct at these speeds than oversteer.

anyways ive been hanging around too much at zilva(if you think what i said was harsh youll like it there) im glad you are undetered by this misfortune. this attitude will help you. just think of this as a learning experience and be careful next time.
                            try driving in a big lot next time it rains. make turns at increasing speeds. also try braking. its much funner to learn lessons in a more controlled enviornment!

Comment

If you learned from this accident, then it was a worthwhile one. If you have learned nothing, it was a waste. I will spare you the lecture in the hope that you've learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X