ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WORLD DRIFT CHAMPIONSHIPS (WDC) vs. FORMULA DRIFT (FD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WDC won't get as many 'super cool' sponsors if they are a feeder series because sponsors want big names. Also from what 'other things' they have planned at these events they are going to need ALL the money/sponsors they can get.

With the way things are now...

Amature comps like DDC < FD, Ikaten (Feeder for D1), and maybe WDC if they get their heavy bird off the ground < D1 (Limited International)

Seeing something like this would be really cool...

Amature comps like DDC < Ikaten, (some feeder for FD) < FD < D1 (International)

The problem is, no one want to be a stand alone feeder series and FD probably doesn't want someone stealing their thunder runnin a feeder for them. I agree that some of the drivers have power but not really any of the amature ones do. The other problem is, lets say all the 'pro's decide on letting WDC crash on take off collectively but then (completely hypothetical, I do not know anyone at RS*R and don't know if this would ever happen, just to make it seem more realistic) RS*R says to Alex, "Alex, you have to compete in FD and some of the WDC comps. If you don't we will give you the boot and bring in this Japanee guy until we find a new guy qualified to drive this car."

That puts a lot of pressure on Alex, the driver. Now he has to choose, go privateer (Expencive as hell), find a new sponsor (not always a sure thing), or back down from the voulentary lock out from WDC ('selling out' and kills your 'agreement'). First off, you have to make sure ALL drivers are willing to take a few lost sponsors or posibly the whole deal. Secondly, you have to make sure that 99.9% of the up and commings won't take that RS*R spot until whatever company brakes down and says, "Well, F$%K me! That was a bad idea."
    Last edited by LOVMUFN; 01-14-2005, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
      That drivers list is Bull $h it!! And i hope their sponcers dont belive that we plan on competing at all the events. What i signed was an intention of intent form which stated that we may compete or may not. And now they are using our names to say they have the drivers on there side, which they dont.

When i signed it, i thought it would be cool to go and run maybe a couple of the events in my ae86. That way i can have fun in my own car again rather then driving someone elses always. But now that they are using my name to get money for their series, and taking advantage of the fact that we were openminded enough to hear them out and see how they do things, now i want nothing to do with WDC if they cant get their things going without droping names like posers do. "I know this guy, and i know that guy", that is just making them look bad, and i hope their sponcers see realize that they dont have our support.
      Well, I'm glad I could point that out to you then. Becuase I saw that list several days ago, and when this post came up....I had to call you guys on it. But now knowing that they are liars I guess? Makes it a different story.

This is all getting way too political and weird way too fast....BLAHHHH!!!

Comment

One more thing man, you might want to make sure they aren't using that list of drivers to try and promote their series. Because if they have your picture plastered to their flyers for promotions and you only show up to say 2 events or something, it's going to reflect poorly upon you as a driver.

Which is I wouldn't put past them since they have you on their "scheduled driver list".

Comment

Originally posted by j.r.
          I would love to just drive and not worry about stuff like this but I think me and everyone else care waaaaay too much about this sport and we are smart enough to learn from others mistakes to let a rerun of a mistake happen to drifting.....
          Yes, I don't like politics like this. I just want to have fun drifting with my buddies and put on a good show for the fans! Glad to know the WDC driver list is bogus. I was concerned the drivers on that list are going to put WDC as their priorties! But anyway, seriously, I really hope the core FD drivers are going to support FD to the fullest. The drivers and the fans are the ones that can make a difference! We need some collective effort here!
          Hubert Young
          KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
            Agree... but it is tough to find drifters who does not want to be part of the game and be the judge... Being a judge sucks when you see all your friends out there playing and you are stuck at the judging stand.
            Drifting = Politics.

That's all there is to it. I wouldn't want to know that a friend of mine is judging and I only made it cause he had given me a higher score. Or someone that hates you that is giving you a low score.

-AL

Comment

Originally posted by .Al
              Drifting = Politics.

That's all there is to it. I wouldn't want to know that a friend of mine is judging and I only made it cause he had given me a higher score. Or someone that hates you that is giving you a low score.

-AL
              Yea, I guess you are right Al. For politics not to exist is not to have competition and just go to the tracks and drift! But I enjoy competition a lot; competition is what makes it interesting and exciting because of the adreleline rush. I know in reality politics is inevitable because different people have different agendas and objectives but hope we can minimize the politics as much as possible so the drifting scene here can progress further and better!
              Hubert Young
              KORE 8 Films

Comment

this sucks for everyone.

soem of us are/will probably be forced to compete in a sereies we arent loyal to due to money and sponsorship shortcomings.

i think everyone here knows FD>WDC. and minus a handful of people most of the "pro" drivers are still paying for most everything out of pocket, and lets be honest with ourselves. we cant afford it, and will be forced to compete in whatever we can because we want to be out there no matter what it takes. and someteims you have to compromise.

thats where i stand on this subject. but i see nothing but bad things coming from this ESPECIALLY with all the conflicting dates.

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if their is one but, i didn't take the time to do the research... but Why isn't their an official sanctioning/governing board or organazation that controls the rules, regulations, and judging for drifting in the US? I'm sure such an organazation could be put together in a matter of weeks through the hands of the top drifters in America. Of course the org would have to be fully run by the Drifters and for the drifters. It doesn't have to be judged by the drifters but, i'm sure maybe 5 of the top drifters could form their own investigation criteria in which judging will be fair for all drifters whether pro or amatuer.

But yeah.. i don't understand why aren't the drifters watching out for themselves.. the Drifters are more powerful then the CEO's of these companies.. Without the drifters their would be not competitions, or companies wanting to sponsor? For the Drifters & by the Drifters....... something to think about if not already thought?

Sorry i don't want to stir any controversy but i've been thinking about that for sometime especially with all the polotics, that doesn't take a child to recognize in print and in person you can see.

Comment

it's funny... i absolutely hate getting ready for a new season... finding sponsors, dealing with politics like picking which series to participate in... yet it all goes away when i'm in the drivers seat.

there really is no way to get away from all of the politics. once you leave the grassroots mode of drifting, everything changes, but that's an essential part of what makes it not grassroots anymore.

i love drifting, but i don't love all of the crap that comes along with "pro level" competition. this will probably be my last year of serious competition because of it.

formula d has done a crazy job in 2004... the great thing about them is they have proven themselves to us as somebody who knows how to run an event, and that they will change to make it even better.

who knows about wdc... i think a lot of people are just waiting around to see what happens on their media day (their first event of the season). i don't know what they have to offer, because it seems that so far its all just ideas, and not solid ideas at that. it would be nice if they became feeder series like alex said, but thinking realistically, that will never happen.

Comment

Hey this is chris kregorian... before I started drifting 2 years ago I had alot of money, porsches, benz's and jaguars. Now after I started drifting I'm about to file bankruptcy.

We started drifting for fun, but over time it has been getting serious and EXPENSIVE. Sure we have sponsors who sponsor our parts, some have full rides.. but maintaining the car is what costs money. I think it is fair to say some of us can barely afford participating in ONE series, let alone two. If you think about it were making their money for them. I am honestly tired of being their puppet I want a peice of what they are making off of our driving, they are nothing without us. Because I have a job I can not leave my business unattended for 2-4 days at a time multiple times in only 1 month to attend events that I can barely afford. We need a boost, and a major one.

I am a human being and need money just like everyone else to support me and my family's life..but my basic point is that I think we give way more than we get.. my concern is for us drivers more than anything. Because we have to sacrifice everything to go to competitions and I do not think it is fair that we do not benefit! If were going to turn this into a professional sport than I think we need to be treated like professional athletes.

I LOVE driving and am greatful for my sponsors, but this is growing and I'm still the same ordinary guy, it would be like (financially) an amateur surfer against a 25 foot wave hell hang in their for a while, but then when the the wave starts to really build up power (the second stage or series in this case ) hell probably fall. I wish i could afford it, I would be at every and any event.

Thanks guys this is my only REAL concern. Alex thanks for bringing this subject . We are being abused on tv, in magazines and were getting happy on the other end of things ad's on tv are worth thousands. were spending from OUR pockets. It's also a team thing it's not only ME. I have to pay for at events I have to pay for pit crew team gas rent car hotel plane ticket car transport , yet I'm only at work for 3 weeks a month. I dont see how this is fair. thanks.
                      (626) 786-7444
                      (818) 897-7445

Ask for CHRIS

MILANO MOTORSPORTS-Front-Clips
                      -Engine SWAPS/Installation
                      -Used Parts - all that and a bag of chips
                      -350Z used parts

www.Turboneticsinc.com
                      www.cxracing.com
                      www.kaazusa.com
                      www.coopertires.com
                      www.specclutch.com

Comment

FD is ran by SCCA right? And who is running the WDC? in the end I would hope that all drivers and teams support the FD events and maybe eventually, SCCA backed drifting will trickle down to the regional events in conjunction with the same local Autocross regions. then you will have a true feeder system for the grass roots drivers to move up and show that they can be trusted to be on the track and turn pro.

Comment

I agree with all of y'all that Drifting, like every other form of motorsports that has faced such division, faces a very real threat of being marginalized and diminished by having more than one rooster in the proverbial hen-house.

However, most of you have correctly pointed out that Formula D and its operators at Slipstream were here first, have proven themselves capable of putting on a top-rate series and taking care of their fans, sponsors and drivers. This will hopefully not be lost on the community, ever.

Add to that the fact that Formula D has a deal in place for 2005 to bring its top drivers, teams and sponsors to HUGELY attended major motorsports events with CART Champ Car - I understand that Formula D will be an integral part of the Long Beach Grand Prix (300,000 fans and network TV!) and a half-dozen other Champ Car street races, and it seems pretty obvious who's still sitting on top and looking pretty for this upcoming season.

Comment

ok, so the WDC is being ran by Primedia?
                            well, judging by the way their magazines have been going down hill, i could only guess how this is going to work out.

New Jersey/New York
                            July 22 - 23
                            Englishtown Raceway

Comment

how about someone build a real drift track like ebisu, and drift in it like all the time. Might save you some money.

Comment

Howdy,
                                James 'manager' of Bubba Drift. We are still working on getting things together for this year so we can compete, right now we will be in the el camino on a shoestring budget, paying most of the stuff ourselves.
                                Which series are we going to run? Don't know yet. We have something big working for us sponsorship wise, but FD has recently said that we can't run this type of vehicle (and it's nothing exotic or fancy). WDC has said that we can run this vehicle. We don't want to turn down the best deal that we have going (a very good oppurtunity for us and our sponsors), so if the deal goes through we will be running WDC.
                                I like FD, but from a business stand point the WDC has some good things going for it.

And as for the conflict in scheduling dates, FD had a hand in that (changed their schedule after the WDC announced thiers) on at least one conflict.

For us we can't afford (in our current state) to go to both series.

As it stands now we don't know which series we will run. If the deal we are working on goes through we will be running WDC and maybe a few FD events that don't conflict.

We have been out of the loop to some of the drama between the series. We had fun and want to be able to compete again - but it takes time and money.

james
                                www.BubbaDrift.com

Comment

Working...
                                X