Answer me this:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answer me this:

Why have Japanese car companies seemingly abandoned the inline 6? I think the Lexus IS300 has one, but what about the cars it really mattered in like the Supra, Soarer and Skyline? I'm too lazy to actually go out and research this so I was wondering if you all could help on this quest for enlightenment.
    Thanks in advance for those who are willing to tell me.
    Attached Files

Product sharing, not all cars can fit an inline six. Thats why the new skyline has no RB.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
      Product sharing, not all cars can fit an inline six. Thats why the new skyline has no RB.
      wrong, the rb was killed due to emmisions.

Comment

1 reason would most likely be that Inline 6's make the car nose heavy.

Comment

It doesn't seem like they'd be that heavy. The Skyline went from having a 2.5L inline 6 to a 3.5L V6. But, hey, what do I know?

Comment

Skyline, Supra, Soarer?

Those arent alot compared to all the cars made in japan.

Why would the japanese ban a engine for emissions when they allow any car to drive on the streets of japan??

And you could change the emissons with the turbo and exausht.

Anywayz... I-6 motors are heavy and kill handling. Some 4 Cly's are so big they kill handling.

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6
              Skyline, Supra, Soarer?

Why would the japanese ban a engine for emissions when they allow any car to drive on the streets of japan??

Anywayz... I-6 motors are heavy and kill handling. Some 4 Cly's are so big they kill handling.
              the skylines motor has to meet us standards since its in the G35, and they cant continue the rb if they dont have a car for it now can they?

Comment

Originally posted by spock
                It doesn't seem like they'd be that heavy. The Skyline went from having a 2.5L inline 6 to a 3.5L V6. But, hey, what do I know?
                Many factors could have caused this.It could be more cheaper to produce,more effective for the dimension of the car and under the hood space,more balanced for it,etc.Lots of factors determine why a car manufacturer chooses their engine configuration,the only simple answer would be that it is probably more suited to what Nissan wants.Maybe the future of the Inline died after the Kyoto protocol came into place,who knows.I'm sure one will come soon.

Comment

Skyline, Supra, Soarer?
                  Yeah, well, that's all I could think of off the top of my head. All of your reasons seem very reasonable so I'll just stick that in my pipe and smoke it.

Comment

Skyline, Supra, Soarer?

Two words that explains everything about the deaths of Japans supercars... Kyoto Protocol.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1997/glo...tories/treaty/
                      Well that kind of cleared things up. Who would have thought all those nice cars could be so dirty?

Comment

Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
                        wrong, the rb was killed due to emmisions.
                        *dictates while disrobing*
                        Alright J-blood, way to answer the guys question. That banner in my sig is because of pricks like you. And killed due to emissions...I gotta disagree...and were you right you could have been nicer about your correction. Just cuz you word it like ownage, doesnt make you right. If you would turn your attention back to my post, I would like you to notice that I said RB. I am sure you are aware that the RB family doesnt mean twin turbo and doesnt mean 2.6 liter displacement. Are you really sure you wanna say, an entire family of engines made in JAPAN was killed due to emissions.
                        *fully disrobed, begins to put on a bright orange suit while continuing*
                        You see, with the G35/skyline planned with no engine available, Nissan had to find one. Hey what about the Z car engine....PRODUCT SHARING, it saved em time and money. They didnt have to develope a new RB. See, there's not something about I6s that makes em dirty engines, they just had another 6 cylinder already, making it easy to cheat the Americans AGAIN.
                        *now fully dressed stylishly in a flame suit to match his s14 Zenki, finishes*
                        I realize I just picked a fight with someone who is gunna fill this thread up with fire, but I dont like to get pretend owned. Anyway, sorry to kill your thread spock hope you got enough useful info by now.

Comment

wtf? nissan designed the 350z/skyline chassis to incorporate a new engine with better emmisions. Nissan created the 350z and the G35 at the same time, they built them to use the same engine. didn't you know they are on the same chassis?! Its not like "oh hey dudes, we just built this car and uh, we dont have an engine, lets got take this one!". They specifically designed the skyline around that engine! They wanted to phase out the RB because it doesn't meet emmision standards. Tell me what car currently new series car produced in japan uses the RB in any form? It was taken out because its old, it is hard to make it meet emmisions, and its not cost effective. haven't you heard of the Kyoto Protocol?!

"You see, with the G35/skyline planned with no engine available..."
                          !!!!!!!!!! are you fcuking kidding me?! what company would ever build a car without having an engine planned for it? the 350z and the skyline are on the same chassis, same engine, they were designed together!

what are you fighting with me for?? it was phased out because it is an obsolete engine that doesn't meet emmisions with out significant modification, that robs it of power. its not a debatable issue, THATS WHY. go ask nissan and see what theyd say!

Comment

But nissan has pulled the parts bin trick before...

S13
                            PS13
                            RPS13

CA18
                            SR20

NO LSD
                            LSD

5 LUG
                            4 LUG

ABS
                            NON-ABS

All of the parts from all those things are all interchangeable...

Comment

But nissan has pulled the parts bin trick before...
                              what are you talking about? every single car company in the history of automobiles has used interchangeable parts. what is your argument and who are you siding with??

Comment

Working...
                              X