No announcement yet.

Answer me this:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fact All new cars in Japan after 2002 are regulated to N/A power plants. Look at the RX8, N/A . Toyota Aristo abandoned. Nissan Z and G35 N/A. all emmisions related. Hell diesel cars and trucks are being phased out and in Tokyo if you own a truck with a nonconforming emmision system then your fukked. Japan has to practice what it preaches at the Kyoto meeting and this is there answere. What do we do about it-------- aftermarket parts. Toyota offers the Blitz supercharger as an option on the Xb bB and more to come.

But wait there is more All of the manufactures from the 60s have had the technology to build cleaner more efficiant engines. Look to your goverment and see what kind of taxes they make off a gallon of gas. In Japan a gallon will cost you about 4 bucks, and half of it is tax. Think about it I can remember a gallon of gas costing a quarter.

Comment

Inline Motors use more weight than V-motors. Sure, Nissan went from a 2.6 to a 3.5, but they lost the weight of the Twin Turbo system and were able to mill out more cylinder space in a shorter block.

Inline Motors can produce massive horsepower, but most car companies are more concerned with what power thay can make in stock form. Contrary to what we see in the US, it's not like every single Skyline is making 500hp and is a street deamon - I would imagine that nowhere near even helf of those cars have been modified.

Times change and companies needs change and the market changes. These kinds of things happen, and you just have to take it in stride. If I-6 motors are a thing of the past, then start wrenching on the big displacement V's and see what you can do.

-MR

Comment

Re: Answer me this:

Originally posted by spock
        Why have Japanese car companies seemingly abandoned the inline 6? I think the Lexus IS300 has one, but what about the cars it really mattered in like the Supra, Soarer and Skyline? I'm too lazy to actually go out and research this so I was wondering if you all could help on this quest for enlightenment.
        Thanks in advance for those who are willing to tell me.
        Basic ECONIMICS.
        Ever heard of "INTERCHANGABLE PARTS"? Just like any other manufactures. To cut cost and price, they use the same platform for different products. With this in mind they can produce more products for a lesser cost.

*people, this is why college is a good thing

Lets look at the Skylines new models.

This platform is being used in atleast 3 different cars in the U.S. (G35, 350Z and i think the FX)

The V-Series engines are more cost effective and more expandable than the Inline 6. They cannot swap engines with other cars without any major modifications in every car and probably there's other issue with the Engine that's why they didn't go through with it (ei, Emission, etc).

With 3 products leaving the assembly line. They just cut cost on R&D (that's research and development) for 3 different kind of products.

Hope that made sense.
        Last edited by CRASHDRIVE; 12-23-2003, 09:09 AM.

Comment

VQ engine family

Just so yall know the vq series v6 engine family is used in everything from Frontier's, Altimas, Xterras, Maximas, Murano, 350z, FX35, and G35's and has been around for about 4 years or so. Any Nissan or Infinity product with a v6 uses a VQ engine.

Nissan Co. was on the brink of going belly up a couple of years ago and if it wasnt for their new president Carlos Ghosen we probably would have seen the demise of this great company.

It was inevitable! If the Skyline was to come to America it would have to be Americanized.

Comment

It's funny how definitions of things change over time:

1990:
            Platforming - (plāt-fôr-mîng) n. - 1. Using the engine and/or other components that have been designed for one vehicle in the design of another vehicle in order to save money 2. The Nissan 240sx with a truck engine. Contextual use: Platforming sucks!

2000:
            Platforming - (plāt-fôr-mîng) n. - 1. Using the engine and/or other components that have been designed for one vehicle in the design of another vehicle in order to better allocate research and development funding (i.e. higher performance motor, better suspension systems, lighter weight materials, etc.) and to make a better vehicle 2. The Nissan 350Z, G35 and FX all have a high output 3.5L V-6 3. The 1.8T of the VW Passat is also used in the Audi TT and VW GTI Contextual use: Platformiong is a good thing!

-MR
            Platforming used to suck (read: the 240sx has a truck engine)
            Last edited by mranlet; 12-23-2003, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Ok so my argument was poorly worded. But you are saying Nissan couldnt have developed an inline six that conformed to emission standards in the US. That was your argument. Why not? I mean, toyota put out a TT I6 that did fine, BMW has I6s, Nissan has even had em in the US before. I am not trying to fight you, I am just saying. Parts sharing had a big role in the loss of the RB. Like you said, the two cars were designed around the SAME ENGINE. And yes, handling characteristics had a role too, the V6 allows it to have a front midship design which gives it better weight distribution.

Comment

Re: VQ engine family

Originally posted by crusTE72corolla
                Just so yall know the vq series v6 engine family is used in everything from Frontier's, Altimas, Xterras, Maximas, Murano, 350z, FX35, and G35's and has been around for about 4 years or so. Any Nissan or Infinity product with a v6 uses a VQ engine.

Nissan Co. was on the brink of going belly up a couple of years ago and if it wasnt for their new president Carlos Ghosen we probably would have seen the demise of this great company.

It was inevitable! If the Skyline was to come to America it would have to be Americanized.

you are very right about the motors and the thing of the Carlos Ghosen ur a little off a company called Renault pulled nissan outta the fire(not flaming just saying).. also the turbos are byby for now forthe most part due to emissions and cost, If you turbo a 350 or Infinity or rx8 theyll chrage upwards of 50g'S and will have low selling numbers like the zx did in the day. Its the simple truth..http://www.renault.com/gb/groupe/alliances_p1.htm

Comment

They did base the new 350z/G35 around that motor. Nissan has been using the VQ for 10+ years, and it is a good storng motor for them. Do you know that the FairladyZ/Skyline in japan use the same motor? It is partly based on emissions, and partly because of cost effectiveness. It would be alot easier for them to use this motor, used in 5+ cars here, then to use the rb, only used in one car in japan.

Comment

+ the parts. If they bring the RB engine here. THey have to establish a warehouse first with all the RB parts. + the Auto retailers need to re design some of their common parts just to fit in the RB motor.

SO, IF they bring it here. No one will support it and it will not pass any safety and environmental issues that the US mandate. Thus, LOST of REVENUE for NISSAN. Now do you want that to happen to out NISSAN?!?!?!? I dont think so

Basically, it will cost alot of $Bling$Bling$ to bring the RB motor here. Since all corporates are cheap. They'll toss that idea, regardless of the demand.

Feel me kid?!?! ha ha

little ghetto ha ha

Comment

s13/350: You are correct Renault supplied the cash while Ghosn provided the brains.

BTW were you at the Grind at GGP last week?

Chas: The VQ family evolved from the VG family and made it's first appearance when they changed the Hardbody to the Fronteir. JSYK
                      Last edited by crusTE72corolla; 12-26-2003, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X