Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a RX7 a good drift car?

Is a Mazda RX7 a good drift car?

Any car that you want to drive is a good drift car for you.

I love mine but personally it's a big fat money pit. If you want to get a good starter car get a 240. Parts are so so in the cheap department and good used platforms can be gotten cheaply. Start there.

Comment

rotaries are not recommended for starters in my opinion. As well balanced as the FC and FD are the maintainance involved is extensive. try to sink your money into a 240sx and swap in a SR20DET w/ LSD. Or if not just start off with the stock KA engine and put on a used LSD and youre set to go.

Comment

the rx-7 is a great drift car pretty light,rwd, and enough horses to do great drifts but doesnt really matter how much horses you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
          Any car that you want to drive is a good drift car for you.

I love mine but personally it's a big fat money pit. If you want to get a good starter car get a 240. Parts are so so in the cheap department and good used platforms can be gotten cheaply. Start there.
          I agree. It's your personal preferrence. Rotaries are kind of expensive to mantain. You just have to take care of it well, that's all.

But all together. Its a well rounded drift/grip car

Comment

in Japan there is a sh't load of the FCs drifting. The FD is becoming more popular but that is only because the price is coming down on them.

Comment

I can agree from experience. As for taking care of them, I take great care of mine and it still fooks up. it's the nature of the Rotary beast. You mod them and beat on them and they are gonna break. i'm going on engine #4 presently in my FD so my advice to you is get a 240. Fd's and Fc's are wonderful cars but insurance is hefty especially on an FD. I'm 34 and my insurance is still up there. Parts are like gold for FD's, and you will break them believe me. Engines are not cheap and they aren't laying around like your 240 ones are.

That's why i'm retiring mine. Just too dammed expensive to destroy. I'm going Datsun baby.

Comment

my FC is pretty cheep to maintain

just add 1qt of oil every 1K miles...do oil changes on time and normal BS just like every other car..

I really have no clue why rotorys have such a bad rep...there honestly,if you get one that has been taken care of...a great motor!in a great car.

and there are lots of them in junk yards so parts are pretty easy to upgrade/replace.

so i would say yes..its a decent drift car

Comment

Yea an FD is a completly different animal than an FC. Even in the turbo version.

Cause they are not cheap, not in the junkyards and the rotarys in them are severly heeled by the twin setup. They blow motors like Savannah used to blow.....well you get the idea.

Motors are like double if not triple the amount of the FC and parts are so far out the ying yang you have to rob banks to afford em. But you pay to play.

An FC is a great drift car but if you get an FD I want to personally wish you welcome to the wonderful world of Credit card debt.

Comment

Damn...Ghost...engine 4? You must be definetly racing the hell outta it. They are definetly quirky engines...but they're so sweet!

I've had mine four about a year and some change now, and haven't had really too many problems except for the need to redo the ground points on it. They're looking a little shot...

Once I get back to the states, it's full on maintenance on the car...as I'll have nothing better to do than race and repair...lol.

Take it easy, man...and I agree...FDs are probably not a good start. I'm planning on buying a RWD junker with an LSD upgrade myself once I get back (UK cars = EXPENSIVE cuz of the dollar exchange rate).

Comment

I have to admit i do beat the piss out of it. That's why I am getting something else as well. I have always said, if you own something that's fast and is meant to handle and be driven fast. Then do it. That's what it's made for. If I want to drive to the store and get some milk, i'll take my Jeep. That's what that's made for in my opinion.

Yea engine 4.......boo. But it's worth it. I do agree. They are o so sweet. Nothing like em when you drive one. They just got that feel that no other car has. Now I do like my brothers 240 with the RB20 in it. That also has a distinct feeling.

I'm going RHD baby if that fairlady i'm looking at on monday is in good enough shape. I'll post pics of it when I get it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 12-30-2003, 09:25 AM.

Comment

My brothers engine bay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

i can half agree with what the guys say about being expensive to maintain. But it relly all comes down to care and maintence. If you mod properly and get the car tuned corretly it will last you a pretty god long time. I know, i found out the hard way, instead of buying a haltech i decided to go with a cheaper apex safc. And since i hadnt ported my turbo with my full exhaust i was seeing boost of 11-15psi, one cold morning about 32 degrees a cracked a side seal. Still runs, just wont last as long now. A guy i know with 10 sec FD rx7(10.9x) making alittle over 500 hp would drive to his drag events, race and till drive home. he had done that a pretty good number of times, and all because it was tuned amazingly. Theyjust require love, and paitence, and dont go for the cheaper deal, it will come back and bit u in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* in the long end.

Comment

My friends dad owns a shop that works on mazdas only. Iv learned alot about the rotary engine from my friend and him they have about 5 RX-7s. thats the kinda person you need to talk to if you get one because they can make sure its tuned and cooled properly so it can last as long as you expect from a car.

Comment

Working...
                            X