Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Volvo 240 a good drift car?

Is Volvo 240 a good drift car?

I read on a swedish automotive e-zine that good drifting cars were Toyota Ae86, Nissan 200SX and the Volvo 240...

This is a 240:
    Attached Files

Hmm, that is my car that you read about(www.sportbilen.se).
    If you ask me, hell yeah the 240 is a good drifter, but then so are many other cars too.
    It needs some work, but the chassie was born to drift.

I am right this minute working on a simple homepage for my drift team, M.D.S.

The site should be up in a couple of hours.
    www.m-d-s.se
    Last edited by Henrik; 12-30-2003, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
      Hmm, that is my car that you read about(www.sportbilen.se).
      If you ask me, hell yeah the 240 is a good drifter, but then so are many other cars too.
      It needs some work, but the chassie was born to drift.

I am right this minute working on a simple homepage for my drift team, M.D.S.

The site should be up in a couple of hours.
      www.m.d.s.se
      ok... this is freaky... ... Like 5 mins after i make the topic the guy that i knicked the pic off of comes on and comments...

I like my '90 240, and it's a good drifter... But i'm wondering of getting a 2nd car... Porsche 944 is interresting...

Comment

How much does this car cost?

Is this car cheap? Are there alot of aftermarket parts for it?

Comment

Re: How much does this car cost?

Originally posted by Rufio_28532
          Is this car cheap? Are there alot of aftermarket parts for it?
          There are various 240s... You have the 244 (4 door saloon like mine), the 242 (2 door coupè/saloon) and the 245 (estate/stationwagon)...

You can get a 245 from 1982 for like $200 or get a 244 from 1993 with turbo engine for $5000-10 000... All depends on the mileage and general condition of the car and extras (paintjob, styling)...

It wasnt a cheap car when it was sold between the late 70s and 1993, but it wasnt priced like a Porsche 911... It was a bit more expencive than a standard BMW 3-series in Norway... Like the S60 today...

In Norway, there is a huge aftermarket of 240s... The police have them still some places... Every 10th car on swedish roads is a 240 (but the 740 is the most common car in Sweden... )

Parts are very cheap... I paid about 8% of what my mate paid for a fuel pump relè gizmo. (he drives a Porsche 924 Turbo)... I am lucky to live 15 mins drive from the biggest Volvo chop-shop in Norway...

I highly reccomend the car... pumping out 200hp on the backwheels is no hassle with the turbo-engines (2,1 or 2,3 liter) or just convert it to go with a S80 T6 (263hp?) or a S60/V70 R- engine (300hp)... Even GM V8s slot right into the car... Very easy car to work on...

Comment

i have a 240 DL and that biyatch is built to last. 220,000 miles..anc counting. Its mainly my daily driver work car. But when it rains i have some fun

Comment

Originally posted by sidebyslide
              i have a 240 DL and that biyatch is built to last. 220,000 miles..anc counting. Its mainly my daily driver work car. But when it rains i have some fun
              My 240 has gone 337 000 km... Not alot for a 240... They can go up to 700 000-900 000 km if they are serviced... max 500 000 if driven hard all the time...

Comment

my "240"

it was just some work my friends bodyshop did for me as a favor.

it has modified TME springs which increase its lowness. im trying to find some turbo wheels. i had them shave the handles and moldings for its pimpness. and made my own smoked turnsignals signals. if youre thinkin sweedish rice then so it is but then again i bet none of you would want to play chicken against me

Comment

but then again i bet none of you would want to play chicken against me
                  Me and my brother were driving his 240... He was driving me to a party... We go down a hill and as we go through a right bend there is a dumper-truck thingy in the middle of the road... So we tried to avoid the woman in the truck/lorry, but no dice...

We were doing 110km/h and she was doing 70km/h... (It was a 60km/h-zone )

Here's what happened to the car:

Notice my bros shoes under the pedals... Took 15 mins to get out...

Gotta love them H-beams of steel...

The rear end was pushed up against a cliff...

Now THIS is a safe car... Take your ABS, Airbag, ESP, ABC and what not and just throw it away... It's how the car is in a crash that means something... The 240 has numorous times saved lives...

Comment

yikes what kind of injuries u walked out with?

Comment

bludnik: what offset are you running on them rims?

Comment

Originally posted by bludnik

It's how the car is in a crash that means something... The 240 has numorous times saved lives...
                        there was a local guy driving a new volvo who got hit head on on the expressway by a semi that crossed the median and it tore the top part of the car right off. they had a pick of the firemen tryign to cut him out, and he was like just a person with barely ne car left around him, i heard volvo's r safe, but man it was crazy that he survied.

Comment

Originally posted by bludnik
                          I like my '90 240, and it's a good drifter... But i'm wondering of getting a 2nd car... Porsche 944 is interresting...
                          A friend of mine drives a 240 and is able to do some amazing things with it. I've never driven it but it seems pretty tossable from what I've seen. Yea its pretty good as far as I can see. I also have a 944. The problem with a stock 944 is suspension and the power. Once you stiffen up the suspension and add a bit of power the car will be one of the best drifters you can buy. The cars are expensive though. One mistake and you're set back a large amount. I'd get the 944 turbo if I were you. I'm actually going to trade my 944 and parts + 2K for a 944 turbo this may. My advice is to learn on a different car. Porsche = expensive.

Comment

242 is deffenetly the best on.. Lighter and stuff

Rufio_28532:

Yeah, as he said, there are LOADS of aftermarket parts for Volvo 240's..
                            It's no hassle to get it registerd for 220hp.. just need a engine with that amout of hp, and ventilated brake disc's in the front, and then show up at the registration place ... (and I promiss you, there is no other car it's THAT easy with here in Norway.. the last comunist state in europe )

And if you brake anything, no problem! Volvo 240 parts are thrown after you on the street

there was a local guy driving a new volvo who got hit head on on the expressway by a semi that crossed the median and it tore the top part of the car right off. they had a pick of the firemen tryign to cut him out, and he was like just a person with barely ne car left around him, i heard volvo's r safe, but man it was crazy that he survied.
                            But then again, that was a NEW Volvo.. For makes 'em.. garbadge *cough*

Can't find a picture, but a friend of mine also survived a front-to-front colision with his Volvo 240.. bouth cars were doing 80km/h.. amazing that he survived.. he broke his (wodden) steering wheel with his stumake
                            Last edited by sin-R; 01-01-2004, 07:30 PM.

Comment

yikes what kind of injuries u walked out with?
                              I was in the passenger seat and i got a bruce from the seat belt... (!!!!!!)

My brother had pins in his toes and in his left elbow and knee... But they're all fine now and removed after 2 years... Nothing serious actually...

Actually, i did get a bump on my back head from the gear shifter when i leaned back to kick the passenger door out..

Comment

Working...
                              X