Ask RYAN HAMPTON Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well,
    The cars are very different from each other. The FC tends to be more like the Corolla in terms of handling. The FC transitions very quickly, and is a little more unstable while drifting it definately takes more skill to drift an FC and make it look good. Also the FC tends to respond a little better to driver inputs. You have to run the car more on the ragged edge in the FC. It takes alot more throttle control. The 240 is very easy to get high angle drifts and is a little more stable. For instance when you get the 240 sideways you just mash the gas! Just when you think the 240 is gone it comes back. One thing that I wish I could improve on the 240 is the transitions, it tends to be a bit slower than the FC. If I were to suggest something it would be the FC. For a beginner, cause I figure if you can drift something that is a little more challenging, you can drift anything. Thats why a lot of people suggest learning in a Carolla. Also the FC has a narrower power band. In terms of reliablility, I have had two broke SR20's in 4 days of drifting, and 1 Broke motor in the FC in 8 days of drifting. Also the price to fix the FC is about $800 vs $1200 for SR20, do the math. Now on the good side Falken sponsors us, so I don't have that cost to worry about. I do however feel sorry for the guys who have to fix it, they work their asses off for us and I thank them for it, Kevin, and Kelvin and Chris! A lot of people are afraid of rotories, but if you don't go absolutley crazy with the tune they will go a long time. I suspect after the rebuild of the FC motor it will go even longer. Personally I like to drift the 240 more, but for practice I like the FC. Also the FC is not as common as the 240. The videos, I don't have anymore of those. You will have to wait for the Drift Alliance video to come out for that. If you go to Drift Alliance.com they have a lot of videos up of us.

Thank you for the great question!
    Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

• Thank you RYan for the great reply ,

Lastly I would still like to know what necessary modification to the FC to make it more drift friendly ? and what are the suggested things to mod suspension and handling wise with which kind of tires and whats considered ok for power upgrade and not considered too much.

we rotary community will support u till the end. Good luck and all the best in the upcoming events.

Comment

• Hey, Ryan my friend has an original RC10 if you would want one for nostalgic reasons... He hasn't set a price, but I think he is looking for a cool nitro car

Think about this one, reliving your days of youth, how fun

Comment

• Hey Ryan...I haven't seen you post on rx7club.com in quite some time.

BTW...are you still living in Arizona?

Comment

• Thereare a few must do mods for the FC. The first is get the rear steer eliminators. That is an absolute must. Next the easiest and cheapest mod is gut the interior. That includes carpet, spare tire, speakers, package trays etc. Anything you don't need to make the car run, get it out. The next thing I would go after is a coil over kit and rear camber adjuster. I had Tein build me some custom valved shocks. I had them increase the rebound side quite a bit ~1K. I tend to like a car that rides more on the shock than the spring. Right now I am running 9k front and 8k rear springs on the car. I am considering going higher though, possibly 11k front and 10k rear. I like extremely stiff cars. A stiffer car is going to react quicker to your inputs. Tire wise I am running 225/40/17 up front and 245/40/17 on the back. I am using the Falken st115 all the way around. The 115s last a long time and give you good grip. Then the motor. There are so many things you can do with the motor. The first thing I would do is get a stand alone ecu. Once you get that you can do anything ie turbos, injectors etc. I have a haltech e6X, and 750cc primary and 1200cc secondary injectors. My friend Glenn, Miguel, and Dave did the tuning on the car, and it has worked well so far. Don't worry too much about the LSD, the stock one works pretty well. And definatley get a turbo II.

Can't afford an RC10 right now, all my money is going to the FC.....I do eventually want to get one though.....!Thanks for the offer!

Yeah, I'm still here in AZ I am going to be at the Apr 24 US Drift event here in Phoenix. I usually don't post until I have something worthless to say...JK!

Thanks!
            Ryan Hampton

Comment

• Alrighty ryan , thanks for all the tips and advise.

What do you think about getting some tie end rods with spacer and bumpsteet kit for the front?.....what kind of offset u run on the wheels with what kind of spacer?

Do you plan to go for the formula D event in texas as well?

So are u saying the S4 FC clutch lsd will work well as well? would be nice if you are free enough to give us a bit history on your street drifting times with the FC and why you chose that car and whats the step by step mods u did on it.

its great to know the pro's are helping out newbies here.

Comment

• Ya, thanks for all the info, this stuff is great. And hey, my friend will keep that original RC10 (prolly the same exact type you used) you're the only person he has ever considered selling it to.

Thanks for all the info, reading through this stuff helps a lot.

Comment

• I have the spacer kit on my FC right now. The problem is you have to get them from Japan which can be a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored*. Tony Angleo got me the spacers and I paid him, so he did most of the dirty work. If you are building a drift car teh spacers are a must, but it should be one of the last things you do.

I was using Tony's 5zigens for a while and I think they were a 40 offset. I did not have any wheel spacers on the car, I don't like em'. You should get a wheel that fits the car in the first place. Also I am going to be going to a version select wide body kit, so I am going to be getting some new wheels,(falken maybe?)

Yes I am going to be in Texas. I am running the whole season with Team Falken Tire. I will be running a guy named Greg Thek in my FC for the California events though. He will be good in the car.

Yes the stock LSD works good. They are pretty much bullet proof. I am also running a stock clutch also. I really don't have any street drifting times per say, I came from a racing background. however working at the racing schools you have your playground. I chose the FC because I have done a lot of racing in Mazdas they have treated me very well and I would like to continue te tradition.

As far as mods go, the first thing I did was gut the car. The turbo, intercooler, and exhaust were already on the car so that made my job easy. The FCs are really cheap to buy , and more than likely you can get one that already has some mods. The next thing I did was got rear steer eliminators. I put those in before I ran the car for the first time. Then a cage, haltech, injectors, seat and BELTS. I had a lot of help building the car though. Without Dave,Glen,Tony,Chris,Alex,Baby,Pat,Todd,Pete, and a whole slew of other people these things would not have come to fruition. That is what is great about rx7s, they have a whole ton of people with knowledge and are willing to help!

Fresh Prince, Also thank your buddy for offering me his rC10!

I will go into further detail later....
                  Ryan Hampton

Comment

• what are you running as far as turbo, intercooler, boost controller? what kind of exhaust do you have? i've been looking for a non-ricey ezhaust for mine.

Comment

• What up man, working on getting u a boost controller and some gauges. Car should be pretty clean when we are done. Can't wait. Talk to you soon man.

Comment

• hey Ryan, what kind of fuel system are you running in your FC? Did you ever have a problem with fuel moving around in the tank to much?
                        -clint

Comment

• how is the T4 as far as spool up? what do you use for rear steering eliminators?

Comment

• how is the 20g as far as spool up?

Comment

• What I was trying to say is I have a Garret T04S Turbo, Greddy front mount intercooler, HKS wastegate, HKS Blowoff valve, a Rotory Performance Fuel Pump (aka Cosmo), Racing Beat light weight flywheel, Racing Beat swaybars front and rear, and Racing beat strut tower brace.

The thing hits boost at about 4300 rpm, so it can be a pain in the butt to get it up there, but once its there it is easy.
                              Last edited by RyanHampton; 05-03-2005, 06:15 AM.
                              Ryan Hampton

Comment

• how did you like us drift in az???? sorry for giving you and blair the bird!!!!!! maybe next time you can bring your car and drift with us? or drive with some of the other guys for tips? thanks again for coming out!

Comment

Working...
                                X