Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap Oversteer,

My advice to you is,
    I would go to a spec miata class. While kart racing is a blast, it does not give you the same experience as a car does. As far as making a carreer out of road racing, that is a tough one. Look at road racing as having fun. I would do Grand - Am again, but the rides are few and far between. I am working on a Grand Am DP program for later this year, and that is a long shot. As I tell my racing students; You need about 4 Million dollars to become a pro driver these days. As far as racing schools, they are great if you have disposable income. If you are on a shoe string budget, I would hire a driver coach and do a track day. The driver coaches are about $500 for the day and are well worh it. Since you already drift, you are ahead of many racing students that don't have the car control experience. If you need a coach, drop me a pm and I can hook you up with some of the best in the business. They can get you over the plateau. I hope this helps.

hollywood,
    I might be heading out there, just have to work out some details.

Hillkill,
    The exhaust on the 180 is an all titanium exhaust from Japan. Koguchi put it on the car. He is out of his mind. As far as the Brand, I would have to ask Kevin Wells from LS Automotive.

Thanks!
    Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

• hampton

so are you planning on a new car soon? i know the camaro has been kinda an on off thing (D1 judges like it, Fd judges dont) and i was wondering if you had any ideas for what you may be driving next?

Comment

• Ryan, whats up with the Corvette? That is sick!!

Comment

• Yes, I also would like to know more about the corvette.

Comment

• Well guys we decided to go with a Corvette for 07'. The reason for this is we would like to run something a little more modern, but not lose the feel of the team. Also the Corvette is an awesome platform to start with. The biggest problem we face with the Vette is steering angle. It will take quite a bit of modding the rack to get the angle we want. Also we are still trying to figure out if we want to go all motor or some type of power adder. The 69' Camaro is still going to be used for demos and stuff so it is not going away completely, and we may run it in Just Drift series. Thanks again folks for the support!
            Ryan Hampton

Comment

• Originally posted by RyanHampton View Post
              Also we are still trying to figure out if we want to go all motor or some type of power adder.
              So when you were running at Irwindale what did you have on the motor?

Also, have you done any mods to the rack at all yet or was it stock?

Im only asking because at the final qualifier there was a guy who had a Vette from Bondurant I believe and he couldn't get anywhere close to the line or angle that you were getting in the XMP Vette.

I know skill has a lot to do with that but I think this guy was a driving instructor so he wasn't a total rookie.

I guess what Im really trying to find out is what you did differently on your vette compaired to his.
              Last edited by MonkeySlide; 11-18-2006, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Okay Ryan, I have a chance to pick up a rust bucket '70 Hemicuda for real cheap and im curious as to whether or not it would be a decent drift car. Im completely new to drifting (minus wet school parking lots so i really have no clue what im doing. If a cuda would make a good drift car and i actually decide to do this, what would you recommend for suspension setup? This car is pretty far gone so i have no problem cutting and welding it and its going to be a long time b4 i could finish so money isn't an issue either. Also, where should i mount stuff like the gas tank cause i know weight distribution is also pretty important. Is there anything else i should do to the car that im forgetting? Thanks for the help.

Comment

• your getting a 70 hemicuda????
                  I have a couple fully prepped drift cars, I will trade you for one

Comment

• I figured I'd post some pics of Hampton's new hawtness.

Sexy car, man. :-D

Comment

• Thanks for the Support again!

As far as the mods for the Vette.....
                      Stock motor, stock rack, KW coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars... thats it..... the thing that is different is tires and shocks. He also has a turbo..We both have the same steering mod.

As far as the hemi cuda, you can make anything drift, it just takes money. What I would do to make it driftable...Get more steering angle, find a way to mount a rear sway bar, and find some hell bent stiffer springs all the way around. That will at least get you started. If you are making a drift car you should get a proper fuel cell. We mounted ours in the trunk.

Here is the pics of the build up:
                      http://www.hotrodstohell.net/cars_fr...la_d/index.htm

Thanks for the pics of the Vette!

Regards,
                      Ryan
                      Last edited by RyanHampton; 02-12-2007, 11:33 PM.
                      Ryan Hampton

Comment

• Heard about the new ride... can't wait to see you driving it this year!

Comment

• Looking forward to it as well...the official press release will be in about a week.
                          Ryan Hampton

Comment

• Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the tip!

You wouldn't happen to know of any shops in AZ that i could keep my car in and work on it when i had the time would you? My folks place is overrun with camping gear and a half rotted toyota and im not gonna have much of a garage while im at ASU. Im gonna be a college freshman so i dont have too high a budget but i thought id ask anyway. Also, i know your camaro runs a truck arm rear but i remembr reading somewhere that you had a significant tire bounce problem every time you used the e-brake. I also remember reading something about using a four link instead to get rid of that. Im only asking so i know what to look for once i graduate. I know a drift car needs lots of steering angle but im not sure how much, does 60 degrees sound like enough? A cuda weighs around 3500 lbs., how stiff of springs should i get? Thanks for the help!

Just few other questions

Were you at Napa Valley Calif. in July of '05 cause i saw the camaro sitting in front of the Falken trailer but they told me it wouldn't be running that day.

Whens the next trial by fire? I missed the one in Dec. and i was hoping to at least watch the next one.

Thanks again for all the help
                            Last edited by SlideNRide; 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Article in April Corvette magazine

Ryan,

I saw your name mentioned in the April 2007 Corvette mag as a guy with setup knowledge. As a fellow Corvette guy (2000 Hardtop) I'd like to know how you overcame the wheel hop problem the C5 seems to have. Whenever I do a hard launch my car hops and I haven't figured out a solution. Help!

Thanks in advance,
                              Steve Towers
                              towersls@sbcglobal.net

Comment

• vett

love the new ride !!! the 69 was way cool but just fell shot in fast growth of drift. I hope to see you in the top 16 a lot this year. I am thingking about a autocross / drift car something to whip on like an 90's GM F body or a s10
                                I am kinda stuck with what is avilable. 13 hour drive to ATL.

Comment

Working...
                                X