the mods done to the gto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mods done to the gto

this car seams to bing up alot of saltyness when under discussion, on a few occasions ive spoken to a fewFD drivers and some are repulsed by it, comments about the cars 'wings' and the massive work done to the steering rack, and steering ackerman are common. IS there a line between Modification and Over Engineering??? Is this the same car u can buy??? can you feasablly make a similar gto?? food for though, just about every part on Ueo's corolla is purchaseable feasably u can make the exact same car, minus skill, lol. Same goes for most other d1 cars. dont think i am speaking beacuse ive been drinking some haterade and wanna rant, i just want to see if we can have a seriouse discussion about this topic

drift cars are race cars on radial tires... any good race team will take the rules read them, and build the car around how they interprit the rules...(SCCA,GJTC,IRL,WDC,FD) its all the same, goal is to win... i drive in formulaD as far as i know the current GTO and Viper are legal to this years rules...I have no problems... Last year the rules may not have been the same, I know both of the cars are are new for this year and trust me they will do anything to win, and they have the $

Comment

When Gijoes shoot their lasers, they shoot red. Cobra lasers shoot blue.
      When Gijoe pick up Cobra lasers, they shoot red. Did you notice that?
      I did.

Also, it's a race car. sorta. It's gonna be modified.You don't see many 240s running the street with 400+ horsepower. If it's that big a deal, put everyone in the same car, let them only do what's in the rule book, and have similar horse power. That would level the playing field. Oh wait, that's what nascar does. Nevermind. You wouldn't want that.

Comment

non of the top d1 cars are real street cars... dont fool yourself, they are heavily modified and are suposed to resemble what they are based off of. ( read the rules) That dosent mean that the ocational D1 car isnt driven on the street... its just not a street car...
        Nascar sucks

Comment

so all those times ive see pics of Kuroi, Utsumi and Bai drifting at Nankou in Osaka in d1 cars is fake?? Drifing is loved and was universal because it was something done with regular cars, ricently the Works teams have gone heavy in to working on the car but its still possible to make a simila car. Whats so crazy about 400 hp??? i mean unless u have some mental disabality its not hard to drive a car like a normal personl are u one of those guys that says 2-ways are for track only cars too?? back in the early days of d1 like 2001 when drivers still used their own cars Taniguchis personal car had over 400 hp.
          Last edited by Reckless Hero; 04-14-2005, 05:14 PM.

Comment

You need a shower, your argument stinks.
            If you don't like the GTO, just don't like it.
            Don't make stupid excuses about the mods they've done to it.
            There's 3 tons of this thread going on. If you can't say anything new, it's useless. Stop bieng a picky nerd.

Comment

Speed costs money: How fast do you want to go?

RMR modified the GTO in many ways that Taka Aono modified his AE86. The only big difference is that many of Aono's parts were already in existence thanks to AE86's being drifted competitively for years. You can get new steering knuckles and the like to improve the AE86's ackerman angle and steering throw from TRD.

The GTO? No such parts exist, so RMR and the boys had to make them. And since they were already fabbing up the parts, why only make them as good as universal off the shelf TRD parts? Make them as damned good as they possibly can.

RMR is really making it up as they go along with the GTO project. They've looked into a lot of the V8 Supercars series' Holden Commodore suspension components and found they're either totally removed from the factory platform or are totally unsuitable. They can't even fall back on the Pratt & Miller factory GTO effort in GARRA Rolex GT competition because that's a full tube frame car.

However, just like the RMR GTO bodykit has spawned a mass consumption counterpart, their suspension parts (should there be a demand) will also find their way into the aftermarket. Right now, the GTO has only been on sale in America for one year, and less than 15,000 of them were sold. The aftermarket is near ZERO.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
                Dave Despain?

Comment

No, that saying goes back WAY further than Dave Despain. Most folks attribute it, actually, to Parnelli Jones.

It's very much along the same lines of Jack Roush's statement "What's the easiest way to make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one."

Comment

RMR modified the GTO in many ways that Taka Aono modified his AE86. The only big difference is that many of Aono's parts were already in existence thanks to AE86's being drifted competitively for years. You can get new steering knuckles and the like to improve the AE86's ackerman angle and steering throw from TRD.

The GTO? No such parts exist, so RMR and the boys had to make them. And since they were already fabbing up the parts, why only make them as good as universal off the shelf TRD parts? Make them as damned good as they possibly can.

RMR is really making it up as they go along with the GTO project. They've looked into a lot of the V8 Supercars series' Holden Commodore suspension components and found they're either totally removed from the factory platform or are totally unsuitable. They can't even fall back on the Pratt & Miller factory GTO effort in GARRA Rolex GT competition because that's a full tube frame car.

However, just like the RMR GTO bodykit has spawned a mass consumption counterpart, their suspension parts (should there be a demand) will also find their way into the aftermarket. Right now, the GTO has only been on sale in America for one year, and less than 15,000 of them were sold. The aftermarket is near ZERO.
                    holden(sp) says your full of it, the car is the begining of the end

Comment

octagon stole the words right out of mu mouth except i was going to use somebody else excpet taka

Comment

The great thing about this sport is that driver skill is > everything else. Yeah Rhys and his team of guys are trying some new ideas with that wing, and they did modify the steering alot, and remove ALOT of weight from the car, but its not like they're cheating. They arent doing things that havent been done before to a certain extent. I dont see the difference between a mass produced product to modify the steering or a one-of part to modify the steering. They determined it needed to be changed so they changed it. No big deal. If you honestly think they have an unfair advantage, consider this: There are still a bunch of Japan guys that dont use the same ideas or modify as extensively and they drift awesome.

Comment

the rules are open, you cant cry if one team has the R&D expertise to make their car bigger and badder than everyone else, that just shows you who the real professionals are. that is what a "professional" level is, in a few years there will be no room for privateers in FD its something we all have to come to grips with. the bar keeps going higher and if the sports is going to last that is what needs to happen. i was at FD Jersey and some of the people qualifying to get into the top 32 had absulotely no business being on that track...it wasnt safe for them.

Comment

You guys say what you say but certain directions in technical inovation in drifting can kill it. These lexan wings are just too damn much. If this technology is the direction drifting follows then it'll eventually be sprint cars on pavement.

(observe were hood meets fender, and rear window to rear spoiler)

I like the commedor and I can't wait to see one of these in person

But drifting is supposed to be focused on dependable tuning and bad azz ballz out driving. Steering angle granted, power granted, adjustable camber/caster/toe/ride hight granted, weight reduction granted, slip angle control wings are too much.
                            Last edited by my 1 88 u; 04-18-2005, 09:14 AM.

Comment

The GTO is a bit more removed from the street car than I'd like to see. They reworked the suspension, steering, and acid dipped it, which takes it beyond what you're average gearhead could build or buy. I'd prefer to see cars that are close to what you can buy or build than custom specials, but at least drifting is still production based. I don't think Millen's GTO is any more non-production than the Apexi RX7 or some of the S15's with their custom intercooler mounts and extensive use of carbon fiber body parts.

As for the shark fins, the fans love Silvia's with more wings and winglets than you can shake a stick at, so what's wrong with a few sheets of Lexan on a GTO? Millen's guys thought of something nobody else did, plain and simple. When we start killing innovation, we start taking it closer to a series with all the cars similar, like NHRA or NASCAR.

Having said that, We're starting to see controversial aerodynamics, whispers of traction control, and we know dynamic-stabilty control technology is out there. We don't want drifting to be Nascar, but we don't need it to be F1 either.

p.s. Smokey Yunick was the one who said "speed costs money: How fast do you want to go?"

Comment

Working...
                              X