insurance companies know you are drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kclo4
    Yup, they suck a fat one, agreed. But so do street racers. Drifters aren't a problem in my area since there is so few of them, but I am sure it is in some areas. When I said people drive like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* holes, I was using that in the most general way.
    I hear ya. I am not fighting for street racers, just public perception. Its because of that that those of us who drive on tracks get in trouble because we are associated with them.

Comment

I think someone needs to write to Geico, for the simple fact at the end of the article its said "most of these events are unsanctioned", that is purley a false fact. In fact most of it is sanctioned with its own insurance (liability). So I thonl we should write to them and atraighten that out.

Thanks
      Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

BS... For every drifter that goes to an event there are many more that street drift. I know because there is like 10-15 drifters in my city and only 4 of them or so have ever been to the track. Most of the ones that have been to the track also street drift. I can't imagine how it is in CA....

I agree that maybe the word event is misleading as it is used, maybe "meet" would be better?

Originally posted by RyanHampton
        I think someone needs to write to Geico, for the simple fact at the end of the article its said "most of these events are unsanctioned", that is purley a false fact. In fact most of it is sanctioned with its own insurance (liability). So I thonl we should write to them and atraighten that out.

Thanks

Comment

I agree with ryan on the fact that all they are trying to do is portray a poor image. I hate the fact that these companies try to portay anyone with a modified car as somone who would be in TF&TF. Normally I wouldnt care but these people lobby for crap laws that target us and it makes it that much harder to have legal events. I hate american media because all it does is try to scare people and provide the half truth. They never talk about car shows for charity or the "take it to the track" movement.

Comment

i think some one with a stock Camaro, Mustang, or Vette is a lot more likely to be out "racing" than someone with a 4 cyclinder car

Max

Comment

I like this:
              "Any customization work needs to be reported when applying for insurance coverage or when it is added to an insured vehicle."
              HA! The devil's gonna need a parka before I tell my insurance company anything.

Comment

yeah, I agree on that one.. But, some companies like Liberty Mutual actually allow you to raise the value of your car so if you wreck they will cover the aftermarket parts. Of course you pay extra for it but I think its well worth it.

Comment

I thinks its really sad that GEICO would rather spend money on those noise sticks that the fans use in the NBA playoffs, than to setup legal events for thier OWN customers to enjoy thier auto's

Max

Comment

Another reason my drift car is a track only machine.

Comment

Originally posted by _PG_
                      When you start driving, you'll see that many insurance companies won't cover you if your car is driven on the track.
                      Actually, if you read the language in your policy, you'll probably see that your car is 'not covered' while on a track. At least that is how it's written in most states.

I wrote a great FAQ about insurance awhile back. Alot of good info...and also de-bunks a few myths. http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...=insurance+faq

and before you ask...my wife is a State of Florida Licensed Claims Adjuster.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
                        i think some one with a stock Camaro, Mustang, or Vette is a lot more likely to be out "racing" than someone with a 4 cyclinder car

Max
                        Next time you see a mustang or vette, take a good look at who's driving.
                        It'll more than likely be an old guy (35 and up) or a woman (40 and up).
                        Seriously. The ones I see "street racing" or auto-x and even drag racing most are guy in Cavaliers, Neons and DSMs. I can never tell with the Hondas.

Also, I have Gieco. 350 every six months for 2 cars. If they have to put out ten more of those articles to save me $50, so be it. In my opinion they are just letting parents know what some kids do in the most general way possible.
                        When was the last time you tried explaining something like steering angle to someone over 45 with little on no car knowledge?
                        The bottom line is, they don't want people to wreck cars. They have to pay for it. It's not like they formed a drifter police squad to kill anyone with Falken tires or copy of the drift bible.

Comment

You know what's funny? When I'm out driving, it's not the guy in the 'Stang or Cvic that's driving like an idiot. It's the chick in the Grand-Am who passes 3 cars in a no-passing zone without looking, or the person in the minivan who is driving 85 and not paying attention.

I don't have any problem with them alerting parents to the problem. Some might not know what's going on. Did anyone stop and think that maybe the parents shouldn't just hand a 16 year old the keys to an Evo or a Z28, or maybe ask questions?

What makes me mad is they make modifying cars sound like some evil thing. Heaven forbid kids should make something with their own two hands, spend an evening wrenching in the garage with their dad, or have something just a little bit cooler than a soccer-mom SUV or FF dullmobile (which, in an ironic twist of fate, I'll probably wind up with for a cheap daily driver)

Either way I still hate insurance companies. You pay them large amounts of money and then when it's time for them to work for you have to fight them to fix anything. But if I were to wreck my ride doing something stupid, I'd take responsibilty for it and have it fixed myself, instead of trying to cheat someone.

Comment

so who wants to play auto tag??

Comment

that was the best description of drifting ever writen.lol

Comment

this is just a scare tactic to keep parents aware of what the kids are doing late at night.

i remember when kids were just having sex in their cars at 3-4am. Bring back the good ol' days!

Comment

Working...
                                X