No announcement yet.

350Z or RX-8??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a question for the buyer, if your gonna be goin to track days and events with daily driving involved, does it have to be a new car? i mean efficiently thats not the wisest thing to do, plus they have a lot of other cars out there that are so much cheaper and maybe even outhandle your 2 choices. i wouldnt want to abuse my new car. its just not worth it unless money isnt a factor for your and you can buy 2 350zs

Comment

Originally posted by nasty nate 7
      i have a question for the buyer, if your gonna be goin to track days and events with daily driving involved, does it have to be a new car? i mean efficiently thats not the wisest thing to do, plus they have a lot of other cars out there that are so much cheaper and maybe even outhandle your 2 choices. i wouldnt want to abuse my new car. its just not worth it unless money isnt a factor for your and you can buy 2 350zs
      with a new car you dont haveto worry about things falling apart at the track. i leave my AC on at drift day and never have broken a link or anything do to tracking my car, all the 240s and corollas drivers are burning up in the california heat and some of them are snapping links, overheating, etc...

Comment

i started drifting a new car after my old drift car became so unreliable that i was spending more time at the track working on the car than driving it, and i would much rather be driving.

plus, i didn't want another drift car that was modded to an inch of its life, and with the z, i don't have that. i can mod it one day if i want to, but i bet if i wait a little while, a new wave of japanese sports cars are going to show up on our shores, or maybe, the new sc mustang cobra will be worth driving. we will see, we will see. what i really want is a factory 350z with fi. that would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty nate 7
          Ive had 3 240's, 2-180SX's and 1- '97 S14, Im kinda like, "been there done that" with the Silvias. I just want to try something new with the Z

Comment

Originally posted by SidewayzRacer
            Does anyone have any experience with the RX-8? Like pros and cons, what you like/ dislike about the way it drifts etc. What models of the RX-8 came with an LSD??

I know the base Z doesnt have an LSD in it, just wondering if the RX-8's are similar?
            I think all 6sp RX-8's come with an LSD. The automatic ones have an option of getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronlosey View Post
              saying an rx7fd and an rx8 have the same amount of power isn't really true. the fd makes more tq, way lower, and is quite a bit quicker. plus, since its lower compression and has turbos on it, upping the boost creates more hp. you will be hard pressed to extract hp from the rx8 without big changes and lots of money. rx8 is a lame drift car.

350z>rx8

oh, and to the person who said the rx8 made more power than the fd if you took of the turbos, no kidding! the rx7 is a low compression turbo motor! the rx8 is a high compression n/a motor. brilliant deduction holmes.
              For those of you who dont know, the were more N/A RX-7s than there were turbo FDs. The motor that was TT was the infamous 20b that was rare and valuable. The N/A 13b has less horsepower, less torque, and is the same compression as the Renisis of the 8. I own an 05 RX-8, and it drifts very well, is completely predictable, and has plenty of power at 3000 rpms to spin tires and go. And as for the video of Alex Phiffer drifting the 8 stock, your run of the mill Z doesnt look much better sideways. I am a big fan of both cars, and I hate seeing a decent stock vehicle get bashed unneededly. Take a spin in one on a mountain road and then talk. BRILLIANT DECUCTION, HOLMES

Comment

Originally posted by 8 fo style View Post
                For those of you who dont know, the were more N/A RX-7s than there were turbo FDs. The motor that was TT was the infamous 20b that was rare and valuable. The N/A 13b has less horsepower, less torque, and is the same compression as the Renisis of the 8. I own an 05 RX-8, and it drifts very well, is completely predictable, and has plenty of power at 3000 rpms to spin tires and go. And as for the video of Alex Phiffer drifting the 8 stock, your run of the mill Z doesnt look much better sideways. I am a big fan of both cars, and I hate seeing a decent stock vehicle get bashed unneededly. Take a spin in one on a mountain road and then talk. BRILLIANT DECUCTION, HOLMES
                all FD rx7s came from the factory with TWIN TURBO 13Bs. the 20B was found in a totally different car and never sold in the US.

I've never seen an rx8 drift well, hence I highly doubt that you drift one well unless it has extensive modification.

ive seen stock Zs outdrift fully prepped drift cars. So I want to know where you go to learn these things because you obviously dont go to so cal drift events, and where can I see your magical rx8 skills.
                Last edited by hatebbobbarker; 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Not to provide any fire for this convo but Rod Millen did/ does pretty well in the Grenade RX-8 but i havent seen STOCK RX-8's drift well but Tony Angelo did very well in a bone stock 350 in the DA Canada Demo... not to knock either one becuase i will be getting one or the other after i graduate in May so i wont complain LOL but according to British Mag/ Show Top Gear the RX-8 is one of the better sports cars of this generation but its all up to the driver i guess...

Comment

Actually, rod millen didn't do that wellat all, but im also pretty sure he didnt have alot of practice time in it either, seems like he changed his mind about drifting.

Comment

i guess its wht u consider success i guess... i would think qualifying in the top16 for your first D1 event is pretty good

Comment

I briefly skimmed over this thread, and I dont think anyone mentioned about how Hubinette qualified for Formula D...

If I remeber correctly, I read that some of Hubinettes friends rented him a 350z in order to get him to tryout, so it was indeed bonestock. Well, he ended up using the Z and getting 1st in qualifying for Formula D !!

Comment

Originally posted by 8 fo style View Post
                          way to bring back an old-a s s thread dude.

rx8s as nice as they are, offer six cylinder performance with eight cylinder gas consumption. That's probably what bugs me the most about them. A car of that size and weight should't be getting the same gas mileage as a 1994 Mazda MPV. If they are getting bad gas mileage, they better be putting it out like the GTO.
                          The 350Z puts it out on the table (and won't flood either). besides, now there's the rev-up motor and the VQ35HE that's coming out next year that dumps down more power.

As far as stock for stock, the RX8 probably will do better in *tight* twisties with the right driver because it's lighter on it's feet. Throw a couple straights in there or turn it into a drift competition and the Z is probably a better idea.

Want four door practicality and rwd drift action from a pretty new car? 5mt IS300s are starting to get pretty cheap...

hatebobbarker, you should reset your MPG meter next drift day and see what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by s13vert View Post
                            i guess its wht u consider success i guess... i would think qualifying in the top16 for your first D1 event is pretty good
                            were you watching? it was painfully underwhelming, I love rod millen but from seeing his runs I was surprised he made it to the top 16...

how many events have you seen him in since then...

i cant check my gas mileage at drift events, it moves around so much it gets confused
                            Last edited by hatebbobbarker; 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM. Reason: answered other post

Comment

yeha u have a point there but either way it still looked nice going sideways LOL adn why would anyone suggest an IS300 LOL j/k

Comment

My Bad

So I am mistaken, to a degree, the 1993-1195 rx-7s sold in the states were turbo, but previous models were available as non turbo. My appologies. And as in most motorsports, the driver has the control of how well a car drives, not the car itself. I learned on an 85 supra, and not I have an 05 RX-8, bone stock. I drift well in it, but I am also used to being hard on the throttle and at least 50% throttle between clutch kicks or e-brake snaps... And as for good drifts in an RX-8, just look at the Grenade Sports RX-8 in the D1 Grand Prix... Better angles than the ER34 from Blitz, faster speeds than Kazama's S15 Silvia.

Comment

Working...
                                X