Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any MR drifters out there?

Hey

Wondering if anyone does any MR drifting. What's it feel like, is the oversteer really insane? It's something I'm looking into

is it your first car? or first drift car? cuz i heard from people whove seen the drift bible that the MR has a snap effect..screwing u up and making u slide out...ive seen it done and wanted to do it once..but thought about it and reconsidered...oh and does anyone know the weight distrubution?

Comment

I drive the "Altis", if you can figure that one out, not exactly drifting material (I've been known to pull some tricks though), but I'm saving up for a car I can drift with. MR-S's look mighty good to me. I caught a few moments of the Drift Bible where Tsuchiya demonstrates with a MR2. Weight distribution is supposely 50/50 in most MR cars, but all the rear weight always seems to catch up with drifters. i've heard a lot about the need for quick countersteering. It's something I'm really interested in.

Maybe i could be the first MR drifter in D1, give me 10 years, haha j/k

Comment

I heard that MR cars were hard to control during a drift

Comment

Originally posted by DoriAltis
          I drive the "Altis", if you can figure that one out
          corolla altis? do u live in thailand or singapore?

Comment

haha, it's just a regular Corolla S, I live in the states, I just call it the Altis cuz most people don't really recognize that name over here. Anyway, does the Mr-s in Japan use the same 1zz-fe motor they do here?

Comment

i drift a 93 mr-2 n/a. i went to mr2 from corolla and it's like night and day. the mr2 is real quick to throw a 180 if your not quick. i would say its the hardest and scariest car i've drifted. somtimes it will just grab and take off when you got it sideways so you have go balls out and go pretty fast for anything spectacular. it would definatley be alot more fun if there was lsd available for it. well thats all i have to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by DoriAltis
                haha, it's just a regular Corolla S, I live in the states, I just call it the Altis cuz most people don't really recognize that name over here. Anyway, does the Mr-s in Japan use the same 1zz-fe motor they do here?
                i dont know much about mr cars...but the mr s hardtop looks nice

Comment

I've only seen one on the street, but mr2 spyders with hardtops are really nice. I think they're a factory option now, at least in Japan. they run about $1500 I think, but in my opinion, it's an awesome investment. they make MR2's that much better, a lot of people say good things about it. If I had a MR2, it'd definitely be at the top of my list

Comment

whoa 1500 for an mr2 spyder? in japan thats an mr-s softtop which=13,000...i think im thinking of something different?

Comment

Originally posted by hkp
                      i drift a 93 mr-2 n/a. i went to mr2 from corolla and it's like night and day. the mr2 is real quick to throw a 180 if your not quick. i would say its the hardest and scariest car i've drifted. somtimes it will just grab and take off when you got it sideways so you have go balls out and go pretty fast for anything spectacular. it would definatley be alot more fun if there was lsd available for it. well thats all i have to say about that.

hey.

i found an LSD for our cars. It's made by TRD surprisingly, but at 600 dollars it comes with a hefty price tag.

There's a big thread about the LSD in the MR2.com foroms. It's located in the MKII forum's 5SFE NA sub-forum.

I've been practicing almost everynight, and I'm beging to get the hang of it. You mentioned in another thread that you think the main problem with controling the drift lies with a driver's lead foot or too much throttle. This may be the case with a turbo model, but with our powerless NA's, i think the problem lies with too little throttle and not keeping the engine around the peak torque band.

The MR2s along with most Midship chasis cars have rear weight bais even the NSX. It's perfect for striaght griping or drag racing, but it gets a little tricky when drifing.

Comment

Yeah, I totally love drifitng my Fiero... wicked awesome.

Just kidding.. i don't want to die. Not that you were thinking about it, but please don't drift a Fiero if you want an MR.

Comment

gundamzeta, you would think full throttle would be the answer but even when i drifted the corolla i had to let off the throttle to correct the drift and then get back into the throttle once i could get control. i am not sying to try and drift at half throttle, as soon as you nail the throttle and it starts to swing out then let off to find the spot you want iti at and then start playing with how hard to reapply it. its taken many of driving hours but i am really starting to get the hang of it. actually i spun out twice today, its kind of embarassing when you do it and sombody sees it. oh well, practice makes perfect. just keep it up and at the same time, drive some of your friends cars and if you find one you like more, then sell your car or trade your mr2 for somthing. how do you think i got my mr2, i traded my hachi to a guy in dallas. good lick and don't give up. peace.

Comment

first off...whats wrong with a fiero. second mid engine cars are really designed for grip racing...autoX and what not.

Comment

Get a MR-S if you can. I can't remember but the MR-2 had a short wheel base or something revolving around that, and it made handling a lil bit tedious to control. With the MR-S my friend had one till he flipped the dam thing...with me in it going 100+ on a corner with bald tires. The MR-S is said to have fixed any faults the MR-2 had. Except power wise. But since the MR-S is such a light weight car. My friend was able to keep up with two MR-2's turbo's mildy tuned up until 3rd gear. And thats from full stop position to go, basically drag race.

Comment

Working...
                              X