Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluegas
    Well do you want big fish in little pond or little fish in big pond
    "G4 is MTV in 1984" is like saying "the funniest movie of the year".
    ITS A SAYING.
    I personaly get the feeling someone already burned the SPEED and ESPN's of the world bridge i hope not. Speed covers alot of racing if the program was on Speed Channel they cover it more. the fact that you don't used SpeedTV production cameras while doing your demo runs at Road Tracks only proves my point about burning bridges(well maybe not). What scares me is the amount of coverage a racing background show gets on what is/was a video game ONLY TV channel. Sounds and looks too me that G4 is not happy with the Ratings they get from video game based shows (which has dorp BTW) and now are forced too find other ways too get/keep viewers. That said Formula D can be a fad for them too keep and hope bring in people who don't already like the channel as it is. Lets be honest Formula you shouldn;t have anyone kissing your azz if G4 does it it only shows how desperate they are for programming. If XBOX is a season long sponsor then have them help you push too be on after NOPI on speed in 07. or go get Playstation and do ESPN. OH and BTW if you have Xbox as a full sponor it also makes it easier now too go too FOXSPORTS. FUEL TV wouldn't be on the air if not for XBOX and other sponsors that do the Gravity Games(created so FOX/NBC have there own X-games against ESPN/ABC)
    Formula D mess around and find D1 on a racing channel and formula D stuck on a netowrk still trying too fine themseleves while blowing smoke up your pipe too keep you (cheap) while you sitting there thinking its cool that they know you and kiss your azz...(talk too rock bands and rap groups about that game)
    Please show some positive support by giving positive critism. You are not helping by saying all those shxt when you haven't done anything to make this Formula D TV deal happen. Have you even gone to a FD event?

Formula D, keep it going! We will all work towards the same goal to make drifting bigger and better!
    Hubert Young
    KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
      Drift box = G A Y

If you cant noticably see an angle difference, then your not drifting hard enough.
      In response to Mr.Pfeiffer who has not used the DriftBox, or even seen one, with all due respect, I think he is being rather naive and judgmental

As drifting becomes more competitive, the difference between good drifters gets smaller, it's the same for all sports. You cannot beat experienced Judges, but even they admit it's hard to decide who makes the grade sometimes, and by giving them more information to make an informed decision, everybody benefits. Twin drifting is much easier to judge by eye, because you have a reference, the other car. When a single car is going round, the difference between an entry speed of 70mph, and 75mph, is almost impossible to gauge, and Angle is even more difficult apparantly.

(Just in case you doubt my credentials, I have spent time with the D1 judges during competition on the judges' bench, and also during practice sessions in Japan)

All drivers who have used the DriftBox have loved it. I am not talking just amateurs, as I have spent a lot of time with Nomura and others in the D1 championship using the system, and they all are fascinated by the feedback that it gives. You should have seen three top D1 drifters stood around my laptop laughing and discussing technique, entry speed, entry angle etc. after the Irwindale event earlier on this year. They loved it, and so has every driver who has seen the data, or used it for themselves.

I am building quite a database on different drivers, and could even start a league of Drift Angle/Speed/G-force, as this really sorts out the men from the boys.

I've seen lots of guys who can drift a street car and reckon they could compete in Drifting. But you try and pull 1G, at 75 mph and 45 degrees of drift as the D1 guys do regularly, it's on another level. Try explaining that by twiddling your arms and making wide eyes and engine noises...you just can't convey the level of skill required.

It's wrong to think that you would throw someone out because they can't produce the numbers, that's not what drifting is about, but fans love stats, and if the technology exists to provide them, then why deprive them of this added interest?

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
        well I just called bellsouth and they said they will not ad G4tv and that I am the first he has heard to inquire about g4tv in the 7 years he has been there. That sucks please move formula d to a bigger station.
        you know what this means, right?

you have to get 50 of your friends to call in over the next 2 weeks.

1 guy calls in 7 years = why bother adding it?

50-100 people call up within 2 weeks = damn, maybe they should add it or they will lose customers!!

Next time you call, when they say "no, we aren't adding it" say something like "Well dang, i might as well switch to DirecTV" and see what they say. If they don't say anything, then man up and SWITCH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Julian Thomas
          In response to Mr.Pfeiffer who has not used the DriftBox, or even seen one, with all due respect, I think he is being rather naive and judgmental

As drifting becomes more competitive, the difference between good drifters gets smaller, it's the same for all sports. You cannot beat experienced Judges, but even they admit it's hard to decide who makes the grade sometimes, and by giving them more information to make an informed decision, everybody benefits. Twin drifting is much easier to judge by eye, because you have a reference, the other car. When a single car is going round, the difference between an entry speed of 70mph, and 75mph, is almost impossible to gauge, and Angle is even more difficult apparantly.

(Just in case you doubt my credentials, I have spent time with the D1 judges during competition on the judges' bench, and also during practice sessions in Japan)

All drivers who have used the DriftBox have loved it. I am not talking just amateurs, as I have spent a lot of time with Nomura and others in the D1 championship using the system, and they all are fascinated by the feedback that it gives. You should have seen three top D1 drifters stood around my laptop laughing and discussing technique, entry speed, entry angle etc. after the Irwindale event earlier on this year. They loved it, and so has every driver who has seen the data, or used it for themselves.

I am building quite a database on different drivers, and could even start a league of Drift Angle/Speed/G-force, as this really sorts out the men from the boys.

I've seen lots of guys who can drift a street car and reckon they could compete in Drifting. But you try and pull 1G, at 75 mph and 45 degrees of drift as the D1 guys do regularly, it's on another level. Try explaining that by twiddling your arms and making wide eyes and engine noises...you just can't convey the level of skill required.

It's wrong to think that you would throw someone out because they can't produce the numbers, that's not what drifting is about, but fans love stats, and if the technology exists to provide them, then why deprive them of this added interest?
          Dude has a point, stats would be pretty cool. Just like for all of us who follow basketball...we know the avg amount of points our favorite players score per game and their field goal percentage and etc.

It would be cool to know stats like that on your favorite drifter. Maybe post it on Formula D or D1's website. "At Irwindale Chris Forsberg averages X amount of angle on the bank at X speed pulling X G-Forces" and have stats like that for all the seeded drivers for each track.

Just throwing out ideas here Im not sure how this would all work out if it was actually applied to Formula D but its something to think about

Comment

Originally posted by Julian Thomas

I'll start off by saying that I have a tremendous amount of respect for Alex as a person, and a driver. I think he is one of the most underrated drivers in the series, and is one of the few purists that I know that truly believe in drifting being a drivers SPORT, not just a circus show. That being said however, this topic is something that Alex and I simply do not agree on whatsoever. I truly think the "DriftBox" is the wave of the future in drifting, and has every right to be a major part of the sport. It's very easy to say that the judges are being biased or didnt see something they should have, but data doesnt lie. If this device can measure everything it needs to measure and not just one criteria, I think it can used very effectivly to "help" with the judging. ****But this also falls back on the judges shoulders to be qualified enough to know what the hell to do with the data.**** Such as, if they dont know that a 240SX can get more angle then, ohhh, say an S2000 and judge based soley on the DriftBox numbers, then that would kill the sport instantly, and defeat the whole purpose.

Comment

Hmm, I guess you didnt know that I was in the Automobile mag's Sideways Challenge in the oct 03 issue where they used such a device to measure angle. And just so you know I did have the most angle out of all the people invited to run.

If this device can measure everything it needs to measure and not just one criteria, I think it can used very effectivly to "help" with the judging. ****But this also falls back on the judges shoulders to be qualified enough to know what the hell to do with the data.**** Such as, if they dont know that a 240SX can get more angle then, ohhh, say an S2000 and judge based soley on the DriftBox numbers, then that would kill the sport instantly, and defeat the whole purpose.
              So true. I personaly wouldnt care if there was some box on my car to tell me what angle I'm at. But I dont want the judges to see those numbers because each car and driver is different.

You dont like being judged, then stick to racing, at least you know your a looser or a winner when you cross the finish line. By being in a judged sport, you have to accept what the judges take is on your run.

Another thing is if your measureing the angle, then you have a speed gun, you may as well have a time clock. That will just turn drifting into a sideways race. Think alot of you people are forgetting that Drifting is not Racing Sideways!!!!
              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

You guys may want to check out the nov or dec issue of Speed magazine. You may find some interesting stuff on drift angle.

Get back on topic people!!! This thread is going no where.
                BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                  Get back on topic people!!! This thread is going no where.

i love........................lamp

and i hear that 60% of the time....... it always works

Comment

Originally posted by drift7
                    getting teched and being safe...are also the team and the drivers resposability, if you didnt get teched or arn happy with something you should have done something about it.

When i hit the track I always know my safty equipment is up to date, proporly installed, and will protect me...as a driver i dont want to get hurt???
                    who cares if some tech guy says yea your good???

self preservation

Probably... but what does it say about the credibility regarding tech and safety if a promoting group doesn't take care of these issues?

I'm not the one throwing the event, I'm not the one promoting the sport. Technically I was just a spectator, since I wasn't even involved with building any cars or being anyone's pit crew.

Anyhow, since it's so great that the teams are stepping up for safety, I applaud the teams and the drivers. This is assuming everyone is equally credible and each and every single team is 100% honest, 100% reliable, 100% mistake-free.

-alex

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                      Another thing is if your measureing the angle, then you have a speed gun, you may as well have a time clock. That will just turn drifting into a sideways race. Think alot of you people are forgetting that Drifting is not Racing Sideways!!!!
                      And most angle and most speed doesn't always equal best drift, don't turn it into that. What about Line, style, impact, overall presence... Its not Sideways Racing that is determined by numbers, its the impact the whole run had on the judges. Pfeiffer knows what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                      X