ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT (Sep 29th Press Release)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT (Sep 29th Press Release)

PRODUCTION SET TO BEGIN ON
    THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT

LUCAS BLACK HEADS ENSEMBLE CAST IN FILM
    DIRECTED BY JUSTIN LIN

Universal City, CA, September 29, 2005Principal photography is set to begin in October on Universal Pictures’ The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, the third installment in the motion pictures series built on speed. Acclaimed young filmmaker Justin Lin—who made a splash with the 2002 independent feature and Sundance hit Better Luck Tomorrow and directed the upcoming release Annapolis—will direct the film, which will be produced by Neal H. Moritz, who served in the same capacity on both the global blockbuster hits The Fast and the Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious. Clayton Townsend will be the executive producer.

Lucas Black, who won wide acclaim in last year’s Friday Night Lights and will next be seen opposite Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard and Jamie Foxx in Sam Mendes’ Jarhead, will lead the ensemble cast of the film. Black has also been seen in Sling Blade, All The Pretty Horses and Cold Mountain.

Joining Black in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is the recording artist and actor Bow Wow (Roll Bounce and Like Mike). Additional cast members include Brian Tee (Austin Powers In Goldmember and We Were Soldiers), Sung Kang (Antwone Fisher and Better Luck Tomorrow), Jason Tobin (The Hot Chick and Better Luck Tomorrow) and newcomer Nathalie Kelley.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is written by Chris Morgan (Cellular) and Kario Salem (The Score), who place the third entry in Tokyo. In this adrenalized new story, set in the sexy, underground world of Japanese drift racing, the newest and fastest customized rides go head-to-head on some of the most perilous courses ever seen.

The original film and its follow-up reached box office heights in theaters around the globe. The Fast and the Furious earned $207,409,603 in cumulative worldwide box office sales and 2 Fast 2 Furious outscored the original, taking in $236,222,077 worldwide. Together, both DVD titles have sold more than 20 million units.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift follows the story of Shaun Boswell, who has always been a gaijin, or outsider. A loner at school, his only connection to the indifferent world around him is through illegal street racing—which has made him particularly unpopular with the local authorities. To avoid jail time, Shaun is sent out of the country to live with his military father in a cramped apartment in a low-rent section of Tokyo.

In the land that gave birth to the majority of modified racers on the road, the simple street race has been replaced by the ultimate pedal-to-the-metal, gravity-defying automotive challenge—drift racing, a deadly combination of brutal speed on heart-stopping courses with hairpin turns and switchbacks.

In his first unsuccessful foray into the world of drift racing, Shaun unknowingly takes on D.K., the “Drift King,” with ties to the Yakuza, the Japanese crime machine. The only way Shaun can pay off the debt from his loss is to venture into the deadly realm of the Tokyo underworld, where the stakes are life and death.

Born in Taipei, Taiwan, director Justin Lin grew up in Orange County, California, and graduated with a degree in film from UCLA. His distinctive viewpoint gives voice to the Asian-American experience, and his versatility as a film craftsman has allowed him to simultaneously serve in numerous capacities on his films. His reputation as an up-and-coming filmmaker of note was cemented with the 2002 feature Better Luck Tomorrow, which he directed, co-wrote, produced (along with Julie Asato and Ernesto Foronda) and edited. The film, about a group of over-achieving Asian-American high school seniors who venture into crime, received a Grand Jury Prize nomination at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival, and he (along with co-writer/producer Foronda, co-writer Fabian Marquez and producer Asato) was nominated for a John Cassavetes Award at the 2004 Independent Spirit Awards. Lin is also attached to direct Strangers, which Vertigo Entertainment is producing for Focus Features, as well as the Vertigo Entertainment/Universal Pictures’ film Old Boy, a remake of a Korean-language action thriller. Lin is currently in postproduction on the Touchstone feature Annapolis, starring James Franco, Tyrese Gibson and Jordana Brewster.

Whos gonna kill thereself first?

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER-M
      Whos gonna kill thereself first?

I'm tired of reading this crap, do you understand the massive growth this will bring to drifting? oh boo hoo, some idiots will get involved, who cares? the local events will get bigger, parts will become more plentiful and cheaper, quit whining. if you want drifting to stay your little secret so you can pick up 14 year old asian freshman high school chicks with your lame full lock understeer drift with your open diff smoking up that inside tire sorry, this movie will help make drifting more mainstream, sorry if you dont like that fact.

/rant

stop whining, this will do good things for drifting, of course it will be a blown out of realism movie but still, people will understand drifting =/= migrating from bridge to bridge while without a home.

Comment

you beat me to the punch

darn mike you beat me to the rant.

MY RANT.

To all the haters. You know how much this will help the industry? The people who have the cars and are looking for sponsors? The advertising for the parts companies who are involved? And don't hate the people who are involved because a lot of the people involved are the people who came before you to start this "craze." I've been involved in professional motorsports racing and the aftermarket industry since 1989 and it's amazing how much a "stupid" movie does for the industry.

If you don't like it you don't have to watch it. Which you know you will. So zip it. (being polite)

ps. Drifter M. nice little picture of Takumi and someone else driving at Sears Point.
        Last edited by sleedawg; 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM.

Comment

ok ok ok

Pros of this movie:
          Mindgarbage and possibly some nicely edited drift sequences. We already know they are hiring professional drivers for the scences.
          More butts in the seats. For any of you who know and have talked to grassroots organizers, the reason there are so few events and practices is that not enough people show up to cover the costs. If drifting goes mainstream then more and more people will come out to support the events and we can have them more often with better prizes.
          More sponsors. More and more companies will start sponsoring drift related cars which means that alot of the drivers out there can stop living off of fluffer nutters and ramen noodles

Cons of the movie:
          Death and Destruction. Drifting isnt the safest of sports and when you put it onto public roads it can be deadly. Some of you might balk at this but there are going to be idiot kids out there that want to throw their new 350z or S2000 around a corner in some neighborhood and run the risk of killing a child or causing property damange. Dont deny it
          More idiots. As if we dont have enough on here already, there are going to be a ton more (ricers, posers, whathave you) on this and other drift related sites talking about how they love to drift their 92 civic on a powerover. I weep for the mods in this case

there ya have it

Comment

I WILL HAVE ONE HUGE HUGE HUGE PROBLEM AND ATTITUDE ABOUT THE MOVIE IF.............

there isnt a chaser in it!!!!!! at least one chaser has to be in it. 81, 90, or a 100 or 110. i better see one.

Comment

I'm agreeing with all you guys, it seriously become a "cool" thing to hate these exploited car movies and shows. The funny thing is all the haters are still gonna pay money to see the movie and all the hater's have seen every initial d episode. I mean yea the story isn't amazing but Hollywood is a business set out to make money, not to stay true to the origin. So many opportunities are gonna rise up because of this drift movie and I'm *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing excited and freaked out at the same time. Its gonna make drifting known to people that never heard of it, scary thing is that yes many umexperienced drivers are gonna get hurt trying it on the streets. I'm sorry to say it but they deserve what they get if their gonna be dumb enough to try *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* what they see in movie's if they have no idea what their doing. Atleast go to empty mall parking lots super late at night, thats what i did. I try to keep it as safe as possible. I'm going to see this movie right when it comes out, who cares what people say. You can tell who jumped on the bandwagon when people agree on the most stupid sides, like it being uncool that more people are drifting like tyson beckford because he's a movie star. *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* you guys thinking he can't do the sport because he's a celebrity!

Comment

the only issue I have is the fact that the kids who are going to try this will most likely not do it in a safe area. I dont care what happens to them but I do care what happens to innocent people that might get hurt. The last thing any of us want is this to take on such a negative view with the public that communites wont allow events in their counties/cities.

Comment

ahh sorry for my rant you guys but I'm just getting tired of some people that are becoming elitists.

Comment

The original film and its follow-up reached box office heights in theaters around the globe. The Fast and the Furious earned $207,409,603 in cumulative worldwide box office sales and 2 Fast 2 Furious outscored the original, taking in $236,222,077 worldwide. Together, both DVD titles have sold more than 20 million units.

They must be doing something right. This is not a documentery, its entertainment.

Movie= exposure, exposure= more people, more people= more business, more business= cheaper parts, cheaper parts= happy drifters.

Sure there is going to be some dumb phucks out there trying to drift. How did most of you guys get into it? You were out in parking lots and winding roads and dry lake beds doing it too. What did people out there think of you all when you guys were doing it illegally? Same thing. I dont remember anyone after the other FNF movies came out attempting to do the "under the semi-truck move", or four lane racing. NOT EVERYONE ATTEMPTS TO DO WHAT THEY SAW ON TV.

Look at what g4 TV has done for the sport so far. its a cable television show that not every one has. Now, more people know about drifting. J-ROD has a freakin t-shirt that people buy! Bubba drift has a "cult following"! Drift parts are more readily available! Just imagine after this movie is shown, how many people are gonna check out drifting. More people showing up for Formula D events= more money. More money= More events in your area. Hopefully there will be more d1 drivers come out too!

theres going to be idiots on the road always, no matter what. if you dont want to see them destroy themselves or someone else, do something. Refer them to SEDA or drift day events. Stop complaining about them. Fix the problem, BE THE SOLUTION.

just my 2 cents..

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^ amen.

Comment

things that I like: There's gonna be some sweet touge tandem drift sequences and will bring some exposure to the sport.

things I dont like: pretty sure all the cars are going to be riced, i'll cry if I see a riced 86. The fact that they are naming someone else the "drift King", and i'm willing to bet we're going to see some civics doing some *Censored**Censored**Censored* dragging.

Comment

^Well put crash, I agree with alot of your points. And mainly I agree with su Maverick.
                          Mike, do you have to be so critical? My God, I was just expressing my opinion. Also dont assume anything about my car/driving, because no offense, you dont know me. I respect your good, and I wish you would express respect towards me too.
                          Sleedawg, really, dont be so critical, thats pretty immature, and "the guy" drifting in my avatar is Ken Nomura(probably the best out there next to Taniguchi), and thats not Takumi, its Ryoki(sp).
                          I am not "whining" about the movie, I just think it is going to be bad for our scene.
                          I don't think the main actor(bow wow) is a good choice for the movie(no offense to him whatsoever), and I dont like the way they express the sport..."'Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift'....... Suawn unknowingly takes on the DK who has ties to the Yakuza, underprivledged parts of tokyo"
                          That doesnt shine a good light on us to new commers and or cops.

Anyway, honestly, show mutual respect you guys. Be more mature than to be so critical to someone. And no offense at all, but half these guys are just agreeing with you because you are famous. Most of them have already posted negative remarks to this movie in other threads.
                          Anyway, dont wanna start a "flame war" so I am heading out. Later you guys, and Mike and Sleedawg, dont take remarks so serious or harsh.
                          Later.
                          Last edited by DRIFTER-M; 09-29-2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I hope some of you guys saw Batman Begins. As a fan of the dark knight, I was awestruck at the quality of the plot, special effects, and belivability of the movie in general.

If they could just pull this off with one "F&F" type movie, I'd be happy, but it looks like a swing and a miss yet again.

BTW, a car movie will always be met with skepticism because it's making generalizations about subcultures which people already have preconceptions about.

I fear the reprocussions of this movie on the posers of the car world. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones you always see in the "owned" videos.

Comment

I don't really like the tie between the yakuza and drifting...it seems like it shines a bad light on how drifting is somehow related to crime.

Comment

Working...
                              X