My retirement from competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My retirement from competition

Well folks, after careful consideration and many days and nights of going back and forth on the matter I have decided not to campaign my AE86 in the 2006 Formula D season. The costs of traveling, buying parts and tires for the car combined with my steadily rising debts have contributed to this decision. I will be selling all of my cars and equipment in the coming months in order to get my finances under control. Another factor that has swayed my decision was the fact that my wife and I are wanting to start a family and buy a new house so I will be keeping busy if you know what I mean!

Fear not, though, as I will not be out of the drift scene altogether. I will still be active in our local dailydrifter.com events here in Texas with staffing and whatnot. Also, I am not opposed to driving for another team if the opportunity should arise (shameless plug here). If I am able to compete next year it would be great but if not then I won’t be too disappointed. Perhaps in a year or so after I have everything back in order I will build another car to try my hand at competing but as of now, if it ends here for me, then I will be satisfied. I had a great 2005 season, having had the chance to meet a lot of great people and visit some awesome cities and tracks. I’d like to thank all the drivers, FD staff and especially the fans for making my year an enjoyable one.

Shout outs!
    Casey M and Ed O for helping me build, maintain and haul my car around
    Formula D guys! Jim and Ryan for organizing the whole shebang, Fred for the great pics, Richard for helping me with my n00bness, J-Rod for announcing cuz its not easy and Andy for saying I sucked which made me work harder
    PYR Racing and NST, my only sponsors
    Drift Association, Moto, Naoki, Taka, Hiro, Yoshie <3!, Koji, Ryan (now with Signal), Owen, Brian, Jon, Shelby, Tino and anyone else I might have missed
    Norcal guys Slonie, Terence, Travis, Brady and all you guys out there are ‘hella’-cool.
    T3 Al, Gabe, Gia, Tim and Brian!
    Ross and Dan! Sup brahs! I lost my phone @ the skate park dammit!
    Drift Alliance! Thanks guys for critiquing me at the Drift Showoffs which helped me improve! JR, your drunk *Censored**Censored**Censored* bitchslapped me at the FD party! I owe you one!
    Team Enjuku guys! Mike thanks for mounting my tires @ Irwindale and Matt you owe me a dinner!
    Team Falken! Thanks again, Nick and Anthony for your help! Hubert, Robbie, Ben, Calvin, Seigo and the rest of the guys! You always put on an awesome show!
    Sae, Tony and Erik! Atlanta represent!
    86 club4ag guys! Alex P, Wesuri, Antonio, Martin, Lance, Keian, Marcos, Takahiro, Luis, Gaylord and anyone else I might have forgotten
    Ernie, Verena and the rest of you guys watch your stuff next year in Chicago!
    Steve O! I’ll be sure to look you up if I ever get to HI again!
    Ranzo and Forrest, I’ll make it out to one of your events some day I promise
    Thao and Brian for hanging out with me while I was in LA working
    Gushi Sr and Jr! A family that drifts together stays together!
    Dai for letting me run second in Houston during practice cuz I was so nervous!
    Tyler for making my first time in FD tandem so fun!
    Dinner Dave for video and editing footage
    This list is getting too long so if I forgot to mention you it doesn’t mean I don’t love ya!

aww..that sucks..
    im going to miss your back coupe...
    anyways, good luck with the sales, getting out of debt, and the family!

Comment

I'm sorry to see a good driver leave the series. But I wish you and your family the best of luck! Maybe you'll get picked up by a sponsor during this off season. Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you will succeed!!

Comment

so I will be keeping busy if you know what I mean!
        :akward silence:

I am not opposed to driving for another team if the opportunity should arise (shameless plug here)
        HELLO, MY NAME IS JOHN YIM AND I AM ONE OF THE FEW PEOPLE WHO HAVE POINTS FROM LAST YEAR AND CAN COMPETE IN FORMULA D NEXT YEAR. I AM ONE OF THE ONLY DRIVERS WITHOUT SPONSORS WHO DOESN'T HAVE ANY SPONSORS, SO I'M A CLEAN SLATE. SPONSOR ME! I QUALIFIED FIRST AT LEAST ONCE FOR THE NON SEEDED DRIVERS, AND MADE IT TO MAIN DAY AT QUITE A FEW EVENTS! DID I MENTION, SPONSOR ME!

This list is getting too long so if I forgot to mention you it doesn’t mean I don’t love ya!
        all those names and no aaron : o
        tear, tear

then again, i did nothing useful for you that i can think of, except take you a bottled water a few times and maybe a burger.

SOMEONE SPONSOR THIS BOY WITH SOME CASH AND TIRES.

Comment

Well, you know it was good times when your Thank You list is that much longer than the goodbye. I respect your choice but I think you should keep 1 car to continue drifting. Going cold turkey is kind of extreme. You dont have to compete to have fun and drift, in fact sometimes I think its better that way (when its all about you and having fun). Just an idea ...

Comment

why?
            ohhh family?
            thats a good reason

Max

Comment

We are gonna miss you bro!!!

FD

Comment

Ding! One less Hachi in the series!! John, we will definitely miss you!
                Hubert Young
                KORE 8 Films

Comment

dang!! you were one of the guys I was looking forward to see again in 2006. I was hoping you had picked up a few sponsors and were going to announce something big at SEMA

the good thing is that several teams are expanding next year, and you MAY just be able to pick up a sponsor. Is there any way you can make it out to SEMA, even for just 1 day? to be able to discuss things with a few sponsors?

Good luck in any / all future endeavers, hope to see you around sometime soon! You had an AMAZING rookie season last year!

Comment

Sorry to see you go man. I remember you were hinting about this at Irwindale. If you're ever near ABQ let me know.

Comment

wow John this is sort of a surprise for me. 2005 was a great start for you in FD. sad to see you go. hopefully i'll see at grind

Comment

it looks like you put alot of time and thought into this decision
                        its sad to see you go but good luck with your family
                        ill b seeing you at the local events as usual

btw Hey Aaron ill see you at the "Halloween Grind "
                        you got any 225/45/17 tires
                        -James

Comment

Sorry to hear the news, but maybe you will find a good opportunity. Either way, see you in Houston!

Tony, Sae, and Erik

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Take care of your stuff. You can allways come back to it at any time.

Good luck with the family.

Comment

sad to hear...i hope u live well

Comment

Working...
                              X