D1GP (FEEDBACK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1GP (FEEDBACK)

I'm no nay-sayer, but I have some constructive criticism. I had a blast on Saturday at the D1, but I felt there were some things which were actually detrimental to the mood of the fans which should be fixed.

First off, I have no problem with the Air Force Reserve sponsoring this event, but nobody cares about the payload capacity of their largest cargo plane!!

Dori Dori made his opening speech, and then the AF dude just kept talking about the Air Force. They had good intentions, but they just pissed people off because they were WAY TOO INTRUSIVE!

The Jumbotron was more of an ad-delivery device than a help to us = boo.

Also, I don't want to hear about Shark Energy drink a billion times a day, it doesn't make me want it, and It's dissapointing that one of the announcers was there just to be a tool for advertising. THEN they had the audacity to say:

"We don't want to whore out drifting, so go to tracks and keep it on the downlow" - But they said ad's all day? I smell something fishy...

I REALLY liked the music they played in the grandstands (chill trip-hop break beats ), but the radiostation rap dudes blasting from below the grandstands really got on my nerves because we had to listen to two conflicting tunes at the same time.

Finally, it was RIDICULOUS that they barred any fans from entering the pits. They let us in in the past. We USED to be able to get up close to the cars and their drivers...not any more.

Don't raise the price and restrict the fans...

Other than that, I had an awesome time. I screamed my lungs out and had fun throwing paper airplanes around the grandstands. I would go again in an instant, but what's wrong with a little constructive critisicm?

Congrats to everyone, especially J.R., you rule.

Other thoughts? Comments?
    Last edited by Pennyman; 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM.

My feedback, which was from a much different perspective (a media one)

- the jumbotron got tilted towards the main grandstands. That sucked for those of us out in the press pit, and also those "VIP's" behind the inner turn who paid extra. tilting it an extra 5 or 10 degrees would have been cool. It was like that for the first part of the day, then they tilted it more towards the main grandstand right around the top 16.

- going from top 32 down to the final all at once was both cool and a hassle. i think they did it because it was getting cold out. But I wanted to switch locations from where I was shooting at some point during the evening, but couldn't. I also couldn't go and grab equipment, which another photographer had. there were breaks long enough, but the course workers wouldn't let us leave (Dajiro Inada was on the track with a camera guy, but that wasn't a big enough clue that the track was 'cold' for the course worker.)

- The course workers had NO CLUE what was up. But there is backstory on this, so I know why it happened. I just hope it gets better.

- The photo pit had all kinds of hacks and noobies in there. I understand that there will be people from different media outlets there since this is a japanese promotor, but I saw several point-and-shoots and even someone trying to snap a cell phone pic from the main media pit in the middle. This is a problem when the pit is as small as it was.

- i was GLAD there weren't 1000 fans in the pits. I was there when they opened it for the media walk through, and I pretty much took an hour break while the fans were there because it completely crippled my ability to get my job done. I think that hour 'pit walk through' was long enough.

I'll let other people chime in now.

Comment

In defense of not letting people in the pits, it is bothersome when you have fans get in your way when you are trying to get things done with the cars. I go to the events in Japan and US. They used the same format as in Japan. No one goes into the pits until the autograph signing session. Other than that, no one but staff and media is allowed in the pits. It is bothersome to have people in your way as you are trying to prep a car with time pressing on you. Think about if you had a hundred people hunched over you and gettting in your way at your everyday job.

Comment

- "Pre-Tokyo Auto Salon" claim was a bust. How was that a "Pre-Tokyo Auto Salon"? The booth count was scarce, a majority of it being regular U.S. companies. I was under the impression that adding the TAS reference meant that there would be a lot more vendor booths than previous D1GP events. 1/2 the vendors didn't even setup until Friday night, so Friday wasn't worth stayig the whole day.

- I liked the reversed layout, good change after 3+ years of having it going counter-clockwise.

- The Air Force thing was way too intrusive for me also. People came to D1 to see cars, not join the Air Force. Although some people in the stands just have no manners anymore these days.

- If everyone in the stands just stayed seated, you could see everything. It was so annoying that the front row would stand up, causing the row behond them to stand up, and then there's the reverse domino effect. Getting up, sitting down, getting up, sitting down... @ the first US vs. Japan event @ California Speedway a lot of people (including myself) were yelling for the others to sit down - and it worked, and everyone got to see the show.

- No NOB?

- I know a few of the course workers, and the story behind the complications was not the actual course workers, but the spotter making the calls on the opposite end of the headsets. During the breaks when i visited my friends who were working the course, they were telling me that the spotter guy would call yellow flags late, and once the car that spun was facing the right direction he'd call "course clear" - even if the car hadn't even moved yet. After the Megan Racing mishap (where the Megan S14 hit the tow truck taking care of Rhys Millen after he totalled the GTO) the course guys all began to watch the whole track themselves (not just their section) instead of relying on that spotter guy, whoever he was.

- Vaugn Gitten must be laughing at Gush and Rhy and Sam and all the other guys who he beat out to be the first true U.S. driver (IMO Rhys doesn't count) to win a D1 event.

- Imamura and Kazama disappeared during pit walk.

- In reference to the "pit walk" comment above, I agree about it being difficult to get anything done with hundreds of people swarming you - but what about having something simple, like a divider? You know, those things they put around show cars so that you can only go so close. They did that at the first D1GP. I personally have no complaints about having a dedicated pit walk time - as stated above, the teams need time to prep and repair the cars... but the pit walk is definitely something that should stay since the fans come to see their favorite cars and drivers up close, which isn't possible with other forms of racing in this country - let alone a form of racing where the favorite drivers only come to our side of the ocean 3-4 times a year.

- All in all it was a decent event. It could have been a lot better though.

$0.02

Comment

Go to any major car race around the country, be it CART, SCCA Speed GT, Historics, etc, and they usually give fans the option to go into the paddock, even for another fee. This is even how it was at JGTC!! I respect velvet ropes, but I guess it was just easier to close off the pits!

I find it wrong that the minority of fans ie: media photographers, are the ones let into the pits, when the MAJORITY of the fans, many of whom payed hundreds of dollars and are even more enthusiastic about the event (like me), aren't let in.

I'm not making money off this event, but aparently photographers are? Well, I'm sorry the FANS don't have a corporate entity telling D1 to limit access only to THE FANS.

I respect the drivers and the cars and I wouldn't want to get in the way, but barring it off until the "threat was minimal" is ridiculous.

Comment

didnt like the fact that every 15 minutes i was asked to join the airforce, also didnt like the whole shark deal, and they turned the jumbotron away from the vip area which was the major suck. otherwise it was good

Comment

I liked the new course layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Pennyman
                Go to any major car race around the country, be it CART, SCCA Speed GT, Historics, etc, and they usually give fans the option to go into the paddock, even for another fee. This is even how it was at JGTC!! I respect velvet ropes, but I guess it was just easier to close off the pits!

I find it wrong that the minority of fans ie: media photographers, are the ones let into the pits, when the MAJORITY of the fans, many of whom payed hundreds of dollars and are even more enthusiastic about the event (like me), aren't let in.

I'm not making money off this event, but aparently photographers are? Well, I'm sorry the FANS don't have a corporate entity telling D1 to limit access only to THE FANS.

I respect the drivers and the cars and I wouldn't want to get in the way, but barring it off until the "threat was minimal" is ridiculous.
                I dont know what races or special credential you have but there is no way that any of these race teams would allow a regular person to roam their paddocks. The only people usually allowed are special invited guests(ie sposors or potential sponsors) or media. At the GT Live event, they were restricting people from entering the paddock area but then didnt enforce it. I would really like to see a picture of you in a Champ car team paddock. It just doesnt happen like you think it does.

Comment

I agree, keeping the fans out of the pits is a good practice.
                  There is no need for a fan to be back there...
                  Allowing fans in there could potentially ruin the promotional, media, and corporate contracts established.
                  If a fan were allowed into the media pit, which they shouldn't, they only ruin it for other fans.
                  The media is there to work. D1 invites media for promotion post event. Getting published spots is what keeps the event growing and alive.

If you want to know more about what happens in and around the Pits, go to the url or pick up the publication of those media who had representation there.

So far as the constant Promo Pushed from the Air Force and Shark... They PAID for that privledge. This "commercial" venture with D1 helps bring you, the fans, bigger and better events and DVD's. If you do not wish to sit through those "commercial" endorsements... As a colelctive of Fans, Make your voice heard and let D1 know that you will be willing to pay upwards to $100 per entry ticket to offset what the sponsors bring to the events.

I'm sure the Powers at D1 have heard your voices thusfar, and have taken them into high consideration. Might even encourage them to re-evaluate the sponsor program.

Comment

At the GT Live event, they were restricting people from entering the paddock area but then didnt enforce it. I would really like to see a picture of you in a Champ car team paddock. It just doesnt happen like you think it does.
                    Check out www.Laguna-Seca.com and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE car event has tickets listed as "Admission and Paddock," meaning you can roam free in the pit area. The results are the same at tracks like Road Atlanta, where paddock access is included in the ticket price!

Road Atlanta Paddock for ALMS

Make your voice heard and let D1 know that you will be willing to pay upwards to $100 per entry ticket to offset what the sponsors bring to the events.
                    That's ridiculous. I have no problem with sponsors, but I'm just mad at how intrusive they were. In previous D1 events they haven't been this intrusive, can you tell me what's changed since then?

The point is that admission was cheaper last time and we didn't have ad's bombarding us every 2 seconds. The price went up and the quality went down, period.
                    Last edited by Pennyman; 12-19-2005, 07:46 PM.

Comment

there is no way i am paying 100 bucks to go to d1. how about drop the airforce sponsorship but go ahead and keep the shark one. shark brought free drinks.

Comment

Not sure how much the tickets for the last event was but I can tell you about the general cost of D-1 tickets in Japan.

A few years back tickets to D-1 used to be cheaper. As the sport grows and gets more popular, so does the price of the tickets. The first and second D-1 event at Odaiba only needed one ticket to see all of the event. Now you gotta pay to get in, and then reserve a seat(which are build on site for the event) or you will have a terrible time of seeing the event. Forget the exact pricing but the total comes out to about $60 or more for one person at Odaiba. Oh yah, and if you don't pre-buy your ticket for a seat, good luck cause they have been selling out weeks before the event recently.

As for Tsukuba Circuit, they used to only have one separate section of seat. Those were the one right next to the judging booth. From last year, all the spectator seats at Tsukuba are a separate ticket.

I think Ebisu and Autopolis are still pretty reasonably priced.

Comment

I went to a CART race at Fontana 2 years ago. I got an extra "pit pass" which gave us access to the Pit walk through on Sunday morning, between 9am and 12 noon. The race started at 3. But we had to leave by 12 noon.

I remember in years passed that the pits were off limits as well. This year was the first year they were so explicitly roped off. But it's not the first year they have been 'exclusive' like that

Comment

I've been going to the Champ car Long Beach Grand Prix since 95 and every year they've always offered access to the "garage area."

You just pay an extra 50 or 60 bucks and you get the "Bosch Garage Pass" and that gives you access to the garage area for all the teams where the cars are torn down and maintained between qualifying sessions.

I get that pass every year..its how I met Alex Zanardi.

I think the only place at the LBGP that is really really restricted is the pit walk but I know there are tickets you can buy to have your seats suites above pit row but those are like $600 a person, but maybe if you buy those seats you get limited access to the pit walk.

However I dont think this pit problem at D1 is as bad as its being made out to be.

I think the fans should be allowed in the pit area. Because really..without the pit area there is jack to do until the next session. The vendor village is cool and all but its pretty much just an outdoor market and since space at irwindale is somewhat limited they can't have a huge car show section.

I think they were on the right track with limited access though..closing it off at certain times and then reopening it later. That makes things go more smoothly for the teams without totally taking away the accessiblity that keeps the fans feeling close to the drivers..which is important. I think thats what sets drifting apart from other motorsports.

At Champ car you could wait all day and never even get a close up glimpse of your favorite driver ..even if you have garage access..you might get a quick word with them but thats rare.

But at events like D1 or Formula D heck I've seen fans pretty much just hang out with the drivers and talk shop and then you have the quirky D1 drivers who even try to be funny and entertaining...what other motorsport do you get something like that?

My only gripes with D1 are first of all...in the pit area or the village..when some of the vendors (wont say who) get on top of their giant rigs and start throwing off shirts or other crap like that to purposely draw a huge crowd.

Its cool that they want to give out free stuff but its down right dangerous when those crowds gather...every time they do that I see someone get hurt, a fight almost break out, or like people passing by who dont even want a shirt get slammed against like a freakin mosh pit.

They need to think of a better way to give out their crap.

My second gripe was with the corner workers who seemed a bit off...but I figure they should be cut some slack since it was the first time they've ever done a D1 and it seems like D1 may have came to them at the last minute to do the whole deal so they probably weren't 100% prepaired right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pennyman
                              Check out www.Laguna-Seca.com and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE car event has tickets listed as "Admission and Paddock," meaning you can roam free in the pit area. The results are the same at tracks like Road Atlanta, where paddock access is included in the ticket price!

Road Atlanta Paddock for ALMS
                              They also have that at Road American up here in WI, except the paddock area is included in the price of the ticket, no paying extra

Comment

Working...
                              X